Paladin

Savra

Re: Paladin

Post by Savra »

Paladins I feel should work similar to how Templars work in terms of healing, perhaps the spell could be casted on self but with aoe.

Argent actually are more based on a clergy style, focusing on fighting undead primarily while also being based more on supporting allies as well, or for some of their units just themselves.

Paladins are actually more loyal to a king, not a clergy, therefore they would likely fall in line with imperials. Even their looks are close to that of how imperials look. Basically a paladin is a high ranking knight, in AOF's case this unit would likely fall just below the captain, but higher than other imperials.
Savra

Post by Savra »

Besides this, I don't think the holy shield and ritual thing would be recommended. I'd prefer the unit to have the ability to cast a temporary aura on itself that could protect allies but reduce their armours.

As for holy shield, I would prefer the unit to be still damageable so no 100% dodges and 1000000 armour.
makazuwr32

Post by makazuwr32 »

But unit is damageable even under that effect. Not by normal attacks but by magical ones though.

I do not like an aura that still allows to move around for paladin. that is why i suggest it to be as transform.
makazuwr32 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:54 amWhen you ask to change something argument why...
Put some numbers, compare to what other races have and so on...
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
Savra

Post by Savra »

We can make it reduce speed to zero for caster.
makazuwr32

Post by makazuwr32 »

another problem is that it is uncontrollable in that case - you won't be able to turn it down sooner than normal duration ends.
makazuwr32 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:54 amWhen you ask to change something argument why...
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
Anchar

Post by Anchar »

Savra wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:34 am
Argent actually are more based on a clergy style, focusing on fighting undead primarily while also being based more on supporting allies as well, or for some of their units just themselves.

Paladins are actually more loyal to a king, not a clergy, therefore they would likely fall in line with imperials. Even their looks are close to that of how imperials look. Basically a paladin is a high ranking knight, in AOF's case this unit would likely fall just below the captain, but higher than other imperials.
It always seemed to me that the Palladins are armored warriors fighting evil, their attributes are armor, healing and magic of light, they are most often closer to the church, which teaches them the healing skills inherent in the church. As for the Imperials, it seems to me that these are just knights who are fighting for the King, who is not always a saint and his actions are not always good. No matter how hackneyed it may sound, Palladin is a warrior of Light and Good, and they fight for the King only when the King unites with the church.

I understand that the church already has Templars, and the very idea of a sub-faction against only one undead is not very good, but in my opinion Palladin is an attribute of some holy order or church, and not just a healing knight.
makazuwr32

Post by makazuwr32 »

Personally i am fine with making paladin either as argent defencive unit who designed to protect other holy units or as basic church unit (with 3 tiers as well).

Paladin as for me is not a unit who must be given to purely military sub faction like imperials.

Also he will look too ordinary and not eye-catching. Which also will be a problem for the game itself visual wise and gameplay wise (it will be harder to find this guy among shit ton of close looking other imperials).

Imperial paladin for me sounds like holy lich with exorcism and anti-undead spells.

Another reason is that paladin will come too late and will be too weak for time when he comes. (By the way for those stats you suggested, savra, i'd say imperial paladin should get AT LEAST cost 10 if not higher...)
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
Savra

Post by Savra »

According to most fantasy logic, a paladin is considered to be a holy knight likely due to how the name sounded or based on some other game who used the idea and everyone else just copied such an idea, but REAL, paladins are actually more closer to the king, whether he's with the church or not, meaning they are more closer historically to imperials then they are to argent or basic Sovereign (human) units and act more like the imperials special guard units.

Since we already decided to make 2 different paladins however, magistrate for imperials, paladin for main race, the Imperial one should focus mainly on buffs that supports himself primarily, and possibly others around him in a radius of 1, plus a melee spell like smite, not excorsicim, generally the imperials one will be more focused on himself like Templars, and staying closer to historic paladins mixed with some of their fantasy counterpart. The basic paladin however can have a more wider range of effects, focused similarly to hospitallar.
makazuwr32

Post by makazuwr32 »

I think that both should behave similar way.
Both should have similar abilities but magister paladin should have better effects (longer duration, wider range of aura or stronger effect).

Smite i do not want to be a part of paladin's abilities. I do not want to give him any anti-undead bonuses.

Holy light ability will be enough as for me.
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader

Return to “Human”