Vision behavior change IMPLEMENTED

b2198

Vision behavior change IMPLEMENTED

Post by b2198 »

I'm not sure if this is intended, but the unit vision is now a rotated square, instead of following the tiles, which might make some units in its border harder to see for (imo) no reason, and also give a little bit of vision of tiles that should be completely hidden.

(What I mean is the vision is now like this:
Darker Green: new vision
Lighter Green: old vision
)
Green is the correct color, other colors are "less correct".
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Re: Vision behavior change

Post by Stratego (dev) »

yes, this is an experimental mode to show visibility, if u check closed the sight range moves with unit - so not only changes after unit arrives but along the movement path.

unlike on android where both fog and both sight is shown after movement (not during movement).

- so here the question is should this stay, or should it be like on android instead?
- also the shape of visibility is also bothering? i mean should it be jagged like the fog tileing? if it is jagged maybe it is work if i show on move - not sure.
b2198

Post by b2198 »

Personally, I really prefer the way it works on Android (for both points). It's a lot more bound to the game rules, and you don't "lose" vision by not paying attention to the animation of the unit moving (which might get hard for units with high vision, like scouts).

It's also more predictable by you and your opponent, since it doesn't rely on knowing which path the unit will move in.

And also about the shape, I think the way it works in Android is more in line with how the game works, since this would give advantages and disadvantages in vision when approaching from certain angles, and imo it feels very weird to have a non-tile-based vision in a tile-based game.

Probably best to wait for other players' opinions on it though, since there were some that liked the idea (of vision change during movement) if I remember correctly.
Last edited by b2198 on Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

ok! others?

wait they dont even know what we talk about lol :)
makazuwr32

Post by makazuwr32 »

i would prefer to keep current behaviour for units' vision, especially during movement.
makazuwr32 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:54 amWhen you ask to change something argument why...
Put some numbers, compare to what other races have and so on...
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
DreJaDe

Post by DreJaDe »

Not sure what is really being talked here but if im guessing right then this means that the experimental sight changes is that sight now follows the units as it moves...

Honestly, might want it for aoww cause the fast movements of units like planes might make me miss parts of the area it will go to since currently, sight only change after the unit movement.

If Im scouting, I definitely would to see as my units moves.
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

ok i made it now same way as on android now - the appearance too, although here it is a little rounded rectangles not that sharp as on android.
b2198

Post by b2198 »

DreJaDe wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 3:24 am Not sure what is really being talked here but if im guessing right then this means that the experimental sight changes is that sight now follows the units as it moves...

Honestly, might want it for aoww cause the fast movements of units like planes might make me miss parts of the area it will go to since currently, sight only change after the unit movement.

If Im scouting, I definitely would to see as my units moves.
I don't think that's a good idea to have in the Ao-games. Or in any turn-based strategy game in general.

The games follows a turn logic where each unit takes an action at a time. Why should the "during action" part be important to the gameplay? After moving you would not only lose the info you had before moving the unit, but also the info you got while it was doing the move animation, which means you have to remember a lot more stuff while playing your turn, and makes it even harder to play the game more casually, and even more so to play a turn in multiple seatings.

It would also make the path the unit takes a lot more important, and the player can't really control that most of the time, so it would give some advantages to some players, while giving disadvantages to others, purely dictated by how the algorithm creates a path (This is also a problem with traps, and it would only get worse with this vision change)

Also, what about people who disable animations to play faster? Should they just not get that info at all and be at a disadvantage? (This is similar to my point about unit-type-sounds being made while you attack them in a TC, since that gives a disadvantage to people who can't play the game with audio at that moment, or have some hearing disability)

There are a lot of reasons why all other turn-based strategy games I've seen don't do that (unless I'm misremembering something. Please point me out if you know about a game that does that in a good way, so that we can analyze how they did it). It would be a small benefit with A LOT of downsides alongside it for these games.
b2198

Post by b2198 »

Stratego (dev) wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:33 pm ok i made it now same way as on android now - the appearance too, although here it is a little rounded rectangles not that sharp as on android.
Maybe just decreasing the roundness a little bit would be better? At least to me it looks like the "fog tiles" cover a bit too much of the tiles around it because of that.

I like it not being a perfect square though.
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

b2198 wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 12:35 am
Stratego (dev) wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:33 pm ok i made it now same way as on android now - the appearance too, although here it is a little rounded rectangles not that sharp as on android.
Maybe just decreasing the roundness a little bit would be better? At least to me it looks like the "fog tiles" cover a bit too much of the tiles around it because of that.

I like it not being a perfect square though.
is you always see what is on the tile than it is not a problem imho. have u seen cases when something is not visible?
b2198

Re: Vision behavior change IMPLEMENTED

Post by b2198 »

Stratego (dev) wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 6:01 am is you always see what is on the tile than it is not a problem imho. have u seen cases when something is not visible?
I don't think so, and that's just a nitpick anyway, it's fine the way it is.

Return to “IMPLEMENTEDs”