Unrestricted Unit Movement

Things that did not fit to the other parts
TntAttack

Unrestricted Unit Movement

Post by TntAttack »

Dahdee wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:46 pm Could it be easier if we were simply allowed to use all available movement at will?

Example: say you have aircraft with movement 12. Plane moves 6 tiles, engages enemy aircraft, and is allowed to use it's remaining movement to reposition.

This is something that could work for all units not just air.
This was from the "Extra Aircraft Movement Sets" thread.

Dahee raised a good idea about the units moving as much as possible.

E.g. Aircraft has 10 speed. Moves 5 tiles, attacks, moves another 3 before finally moving its last 2.

(Note: This is similar to the current Movement mechanic when units are "suprised" by a hidden unit.)
Dahdee wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 4:28 pm
TntAttack wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 3:37 am Too much micro I reckon for infantry. For planes since they are more "manoeuvrable" I thought it made more sense.

Tanks, although it would be cool to blitzkrieg, might disadvantage infantry even more.
If you take into account the way you can continue movement after surprise, it's really just the same thing. The only difference would be having a surprise encounter is not necessary.

The only necessity would be surviving the initial encounter.
On second thought, it might not be a terrible idea. I would love to be able to move my transports around my towns/barrack, run around naval mines, build buildings and move on with engineers etc.

Only problem I see is that this idea involves a tiny bit of coding changes
e.g. Units fade when movement is complete

Conversely, when a unit encounters a hidden unit they should lose all movement instead. (As the current "run into hidden unit" mechanic allows you to continue moving which is more of an advantage if anything)

@Stratego (dev) What do you think?
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Re: Unrestricted Unit Movement

Post by Stratego (dev) »

i thought eariler to make it a "spec action" for unit type meaning it can break up its movement into any moves.

and yes in engine it is aleady ready was made for the mine stepping and such.

i am not sure it is good to make it generally, some units can get OP if they can jump in and disengage after attack.

others what u think?
godOfKings

Post by godOfKings »

In aos, the light cav and cav archers could benefit from this, i wouldnt mind making it default for all units with light cav and light cav archer category, or available from a tech research
There is no place for false kings here, only those who proves themselves to b the true kings of legend, or serves under me

For I watch over this world looking for those worthy to become kings, and on the way get rid of the fakes and rule over the fools
TntAttack

Post by TntAttack »

@DreJaDe, @SS-Jericho...

What do you guys think? I know this idea could significantly change the way we play the game, for better or worse.
DreJaDe

Post by DreJaDe »

definitely a good idea for planes.

or for scouting unit

though just asking... can it be limited like this can only be done for 1 time? like if my unit have 10 speed then it moves 5 tiles then 2... although theres still 3 tiles left, it would now be unable to move. This can be a good way to not make this way too OP or like during the submarine testing. A way too test what works the best for the game.

godOfKings wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 2:43 pm In aos, the light cav and cav archers could benefit from this, i wouldnt mind making it default for all units with light cav and light cav archer category, or available from a tech research
honestly agree though I wonder if @Endru1241 would agree since this will be somewhat like what they worry why this games never have the rewind option.
TntAttack

Post by TntAttack »

DreJaDe wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:41 am definitely a good idea for planes.

or for scouting unit

though just asking... can it be limited like this can only be done for 1 time? like if my unit have 10 speed then it moves 5 tiles then 2... although theres still 3 tiles left, it would now be unable to move. This can be a good way to not make this way too OP or like during the submarine testing. A way too test what works the best for the game.

godOfKings wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 2:43 pm In aos, the light cav and cav archers could benefit from this, i wouldnt mind making it default for all units with light cav and light cav archer category, or available from a tech research
honestly agree though I wonder if @Endru1241 would agree since this will be somewhat like what they worry why this games never have the rewind option.

The real debate currently is whether this unrestricted movement should be applicable for all units.

For infantry its a moderately significant change, but certainly welcomed.

For tanks, it's would require some further balancing but I do like the idea of blitzkrieging. (Possible changes include multiple attacks or extra movement costs action)

For planes, there are many possible implementations we could do.

Perhaps it might be different for scouting aircraft, bombers, fighters and jets.

For naval units I think it would make combat much more dynamic and less "turn base". (Despite that being the game's genre).

For engineers this would be a great game changer. Constructions of buildings like roads and rails might be not be hindered by a lack of available unit space.

For transports, this would make it possible for us to "collect" units from town and barracks.

All in all, stratego's dream of a rts game is getting one step closer (joke).
Dahdee

Post by Dahdee »

Well, obviously I think it's a good idea :D
Dahdee

Post by Dahdee »

I would say though, units like arty and AA (non-self propelled), should not be able to do this.

My reason is by their nature, they aren't realistically mobile enough to operate in such a manner.

I'd also say it may not be something some heavy support infantry like MG would be capable of.

Although I am aware some were more mobile than others.

It's something we can work out if we do allow this change.
TntAttack

Post by TntAttack »

Built In Divert Movement

All units have secondary movement value similar to the current "Ammo Armour" and "Explosion Armour".

E.g.
Speed: 5
Divert Speed: 3

Where Divert Speed is the secondary movement speed.

For every tile a unit moves (using speed) the Divert Speed decreases.

Example: Vehicle has 5 speed and 3 Divert Speed.

1. If the vehicle moves 5 speed, the Divert Speed is 3-5=0 thus the vehicle has no more movement.
2. If the vehicle moves 3 speed, the Divert Speed is 3-3=0 thus the vehicle has no more movement.
3. If the vehicle moves 2 speed, the Divert Speed is 3-2=1 therefore the vehicle still has 1 Divert Speed. It can move one more tile.
3. If the vehicle moves 1 speed, the Divert Speed is 3-1=2 therefore the vehicle still has 2 Divert Speed. It can move either
A. 2 Divert Speed then movement ends.
B. 1 Divert Speed, then move again 1 Divert Speed before movement ends.

What do you guys think?

For aircraft we can configure it so that they have higher Divert speeds and thus more "manoeuvrable".

Similarly for naval ships to simulate naval warfare. (Maybe whenever that ranged counterattack comes into play).
Dahdee

Post by Dahdee »

TntAttack wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 2:25 pm Built In Divert Movement

All units have secondary movement value similar to the current "Ammo Armour" and "Explosion Armour".
I understand what you're suggesting, and if that's how we decide to do it, it could totally work.

However, it does seem an overly complicated solution to add an entirely new stat to all existing units and any future ones.

It seems to me to be easier to work within the parameters of a system that already functions in the game now, as is.

Is it not easier, from a programming point of view, to tweak the current movement rules than to add an entirely new stat and make new movement rules around that stat?
TntAttack

Post by TntAttack »

DreJaDe wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:41 am definitely a good idea for planes.

or for scouting unit

Stratego (dev) wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:16 am i thought eariler to make it a "spec action" for unit type meaning it can break up its movement into any moves.

and yes in engine it is aleady ready was made for the mine stepping and such.

i am not sure it is good to make it generally, some units can get OP if they can jump in and disengage after attack.

others what u think?
So what do you reckon?

How about trying it out on these units?
-Aircraft (All or only anti air?)
-Destroyers (Cruisers and Aircraft carriers as well?)
-Transport Truck.

For infantry I am not as sure but what do you you guys think?

(And yes, I agree with you dahdee, my idea was a bit complicated.)

Return to “Others”