Discussion: Regarding Game Concept

Things that did not fit to the other parts
TntAttack

Discussion: Regarding Game Concept

Post by TntAttack »

Regarding the game's core focus and conceptual design.

1. Should attacking be easier than defending (defenses included)?

If so, by how much hypothetically are we speaking? (E.g. 2 times the defender's total value, 3 times?)

2. Should the game focus on the tactical level given its core focus on individualism of units (e.g. look at the Navy esp) or can we or should we move towards more higher level strategy? (This is arising from the fact that in moderately sized multiplayer Skirmish, each game feels like (lore wise) a war between empires and nations but on tactical level.

Suppose we do shift towards a less tactical level, we can focus on economy and logistics for a more grander warfare.

This I feel is the problem, the lack of distinction between tactical strategy (which is great on smaller maps) and operational strategy (which is present to some degree on larger maps but feels a lot like a war of attrition on a tactical level with some logistical mechanics).

If the game remains primarily on a tactical level, it is fine to have little to no economy. But if it's ever should move towards more operational strategy, I have a ton of suggests, some of which I might of already raised.

3. Is it possible to have a factory produce two units at once? I know one unit and tech is possible (or so I have read).

4. Should we make special guns factory for the other nations as well? (Since Germany has it only currently)

5. Should we remove the reliance on transport trucks for transports AA and Arty? As I have seen in Aos for seige units, it seems Strageo's idea of truck transformation may not be such a bad idea.

6. Update on trains and tracks?

7. What do you guys think of Stratego's plans to implement a floater point turn value? E.g. Tank A has 4.3 turns to build.

Ask him for the exact details on how it works tho, I still don't understand entirely myself.
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Re: Discussion: Regarding Game Concept

Post by Stratego (dev) »

1. Should attacking be easier than defending (defenses included)?
i am not sure, maybe a little? i am open to suggestions.
Should the game focus on the tactical level given its core focus on individualism of units (e.g. look at the Navy esp) or can we or should we move towards more higher level strategy
fuel is out of the question (too annoying imho to manage), other terms "maybe"
what ideas u have?
3. Is it possible to have a factory produce two units at once? I know one unit and tech is possible (or so I have read).
not sure i undertand, only one can be produced, but you can set the "following" production (taht starts after the running one is completed) - that can be tech or unit.
4. Should we make special guns factory for the other nations as well? (Since Germany has it only currently)
we can make for anyone if we think it is ok.
Should we remove the reliance on transport trucks for transports AA and Arty
i had a suggestion to transform them to packed fast moving form.
6. Update on trains and tracks?
stalling. as no one could give any idea how to solve the problems.
7. What do you guys think of Stratego's plans to implement a floater point turn value? E.g. Tank A has 4.3 turns to build.
i re-thought and seems to me too "hacky" to do this, so i said it is better to make the "money" thing or something (if very required)
DreJaDe

Post by DreJaDe »

Stratego (dev) wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:21 am 5. Should we remove the reliance on transport trucks for transports AA and Arty? As I have seen in Aos for seige units, it seems Strageo's idea of truck transformation may not be such a bad idea.
I kinda agree with this now but there are problems.

1. Increase of their cost.
This will definitely happen.

2. Usability of mobile AA will be lost.
We have them. People do use.

3. How much speed?

This will not really delete the use of mobile arty causw they are tanky.

2 Possible solution.
Same cost, transformation cost movement.
Increased cost, transformation dont cost movement.
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

1. i think cost no need to be increaased
2. mobile AA still can be usable, they are easier to use than pack unpacking
3. speed: like transport trucks maybe. (or -1 of trnasport truck speed)
4. "transformation cost movement.": sure.
DreJaDe

Post by DreJaDe »

Stratego (dev) wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 8:59 am 1. i think cost no need to be increaased
2. mobile AA still can be usable, they are easier to use than pack unpacking
3. speed: like transport trucks maybe. (or -1 of trnasport truck speed)
4. "transformation cost movement.": sure.
To he honest, I wont want it to be slower.

2. Yes but the range difference. Damage and the like though? Its just more worth it. Even more when transformation doesnt cost movement.
DreJaDe

Post by DreJaDe »

But wait... How about the campaign units?
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

2. Yes but the range difference. Damage and the like though? Its just more worth it.
i dont undertand what u mean.
But wait... How about the campaign units?
they also will ahve the transform ability (same unit types)
TntAttack

Post by TntAttack »

I have a more radical idea... I am fine with the above but hear me out.

Suppose we treat aa and arty like equipment that needs manpower, aa and arty would require rifleman to enter them for any movement else they can't move.

However if you put engineers inside, they can unlock a transformation ability.

Little bit of micro, but more nicer on a tactical level. And can be complimented with other ideas e.g.
Snipers can neutralise the infantry behind the aa or arty, leaving behind a neutral aa or arty piece that the enemy can capture.

If arty dies, so does the infantry. Note, maybe restrict it so that players can't put infantry equipped arty/aa in trucks else that would be the new strategy for unit stacking.
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

sorry but
a) too micro,
b) also AI have a tinly little idea about these mechanics :)
TntAttack

Post by TntAttack »

1. Can towns have health? Is it possible?

2. Is it possible to add another button in the ui in game for all gem purchased abilities? (Maybe in the unity version?)

3. What do you think of custom player Avatars e.g in front of their name and in game points?

4. What about commander units with special abilities. If we are talking ww2, and the main focus of units is specific units, why not for commanders as well?

Each commander can have a unique ability, much unlike General patton in game right now.
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

they have already, but why u ask?
2. Is it possible to add another button in the ui in game for all gem purchased abilities? (Maybe in the unity version?)
in fun games there are already if you mean eg. "clone unit" spell, if u mean something ele than what?

3. What do you think of custom player Avatars e.g in front of their name and in game points?
would be awesome! :)
4. What about commander units with special abilities. If we are talking ww2, and the main focus of units is specific units, why not for commanders as well?
i am little confused as we have already, eg. "Patton" and "Rommel"
TntAttack

Post by TntAttack »

Stratego (dev) wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:27 am
they have already, but why u ask?
Was thinking about town destruction mechanic ideas.
in fun games there are already if you mean eg. "clone unit" spell, if u mean something ele than what?
I meant instead of keeping all the spell abilities hanging up on the top of the screen, you could add a button e.g. on andriod there is that triple dot button in the upper left that holds the war production UI switch, that opens another screen or mini tab that players can select...
i am little confused as we have already, eg. "Patton" and "Rommel"
Yea, but both Patton and Rommel have passive abilities which is okay, but not very interesting. Imagine these generals like a hero unit you would add in AoWw, just slightly nerfed but enough to make their presence felt.

E.g. Rommel special ability ideas
- Blitzkrieg: German armour within 5 range gets a 2 movement bonus and plus 2 attack power for 2 turns. Cooldown of skill: 5 turns.

Patton:
- Offensive Push: US armour within 5 range gets plus 2 movement bonus and plus 2 attack power and recieve no counter attack damage for 1 turn. (Optionally, if the no counter attack thing is impossible, then perhaps some armour bluff)
Cooldown: 6 turns.

Conclusion: Idea is that each fraction has at least 3 generals or famous heroes that have a noticeable legacy that can be added as an ability.

Currently the ideas for Patton and Rommel I have provided is a bit dull, but assuming its possible and that you are fine with this direction, I could open some forum posts for possible ideas.
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

Was thinking about town destruction mechanic ideas.
TC should not be destructibe by definition (they are now the key locations to conquer and hold)

I meant instead of keeping all the spell abilities hanging up on the top of the screen, you could add a button e.g. on andriod there is that triple dot button in the upper left that holds the war production UI switch, that opens another screen or mini tab that players can select...
not sure it would be better than the current, others what u think?
Yea, but both Patton and Rommel
sure, they can have any ability that is not making them "supernatural" or "superheroes".

Return to “Others”