Unity version - carrier & factory dialog (Tc or other)

Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Unity version - carrier & factory dialog (Tc or other)

Post by Stratego (dev) »

Now i started to make this, anyone has ideas what to change?
i am starting to make the current appearance (but please post here any idea for change)

so current is:
carrier:
- has image and name of carrier unit (eg. wagon)
- has 1..6 slots shown (if unit in it then filled)

factories
- has image and name of carrier unit (eg. wagon)
- has 1..6 slots shown (if unit in it then filled)
- also two production "slot"s (current and next) - and textings about turns left
and some other spec things like steal tech button in special cases.

both cases
- the carrided nit can be draggeed into each other (eg. into a wagon in a castle)
- the carrided nit can be draggeed onto the building meaning to go up one level in the carry hierarchy.

---------------------
new ideas:
- Units with production: I would like to make cancel production button
- when you press or touch to drag a unit in a slot, all possible target places will get highlighted (the level up on carrier, or other carrier in this carrier) maybe others can also be hghlighted but with red indicating wrong target.
Midonik

Re: Unity version - carrier & factory dialog (Tc or other)

Post by Midonik »

- the carrided nit can be draggeed into each other (eg. into a wagon in a castle)
- the carrided nit can be draggeed onto the building meaning to go up one level in the carry hierarchy

I feel like these are not that intuitive. Maybe if there was a button to represent it would be more obvious.
Support new AoS variant, Age of Galaxy: http://ageofstrategy.net/viewforum.php? ... 608408ebc8
All help will be welcome.
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

i see, how the button should look and work?
thanks!
Midonik

Post by Midonik »

Maybe you can click on a unit and have arrows to move it up or down the target priority list and also one to move it out of the carriee (an exit like button?)

but currently if u lick on unit you quit from popup window and u have it selected so you can move - should we lose that?
Support new AoS variant, Age of Galaxy: http://ageofstrategy.net/viewforum.php? ... 608408ebc8
All help will be welcome.
makazuwr32

Post by makazuwr32 »

1. Units with production: There was an idea for second line of production.
Is it possible to add?

For example first production will be units and secondary techs.
Or first will allow to produce basic units and second elite units.

Might require some specific type of factory to show second line of production.

2. Units with production: I would like to make cancel production button to be easier targetable. Not a message "cancel production" but an actual button. And slightly bigger one.

3. Both units with production and simple carriers: Some structures can provide for units heal rate and/or some buffs (for example elven outpost can provide vision effect for units inside).
I think it will be good to show heal rate of building and icons of effects it provides inside gui.

4. This might be more like my personal request since i hate usage of waypoints for units.
Please add option to forcibly disable waypoints for yourself. So that annoying button will not be shown anymore. (This also must affect that waypoint button in the menu above unit where you have stop unit, kill unit, waipoint and info about unit)
makazuwr32 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:54 amWhen you ask to change something argument why...
Put some numbers, compare to what other races have and so on...
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
makazuwr32

Post by makazuwr32 »

Midonik wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:29 pm Maybe you can click on a unit and have arrows to move it up or down the target priority list and also one to move it out of the carriee (an exit like button?)
I must admit that moving unit from carrier (castle) to another carrier (wagon) must not be automatic i think. Since there might be situation when there are more than 1 carrier to choose where to enter. So those buttons to enter for unit you choose must be shown for all possible carriers inside "castle" (or whatever that unit/building is) where this unit may enter.

There also might be situations when there are multiple carriers but not all of them can be entered by unit. For example siege unit in aof — it can't enter wagons but can enter some ships.
makazuwr32 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:54 amWhen you ask to change something argument why...
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

1. Units with production: There was an idea for second line of production.
Is it possible to add?

For example first production will be units and secondary techs.
Or first will allow to produce basic units and second elite units.

Might require some specific type of factory to show second line of production.
this is some very new mechanism, to have a "double" factory, we dont have that in andorid version so we can not have it here now.
so here only suggest visual and ui handling differences, not core mechanism changes -thanks!
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

2. Units with production: I would like to make cancel production button to be easier targetable. Not a message "cancel production" but an actual button. And slightly bigger one.
this can be, i will make.
i listed in first post as new idea to put in.
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

I think it will be good to show heal rate of building and icons of effects it provides inside gui.
i am not sure, this is a general "unit help" thingie - others you also think it is good here?
(in general i dont want a crowded view, i try to make a clean minimalistic one)
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

Please add option to forcibly disable waypoints for yourself
if you dont like dont press it, why would u need this special option? is it ugly or something? why is it annoying?
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

makazuwr32 wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:58 pm
Midonik wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:29 pm Maybe you can click on a unit and have arrows to move it up or down the target priority list and also one to move it out of the carriee (an exit like button?)
I must admit that moving unit from carrier (castle) to another carrier (wagon) must not be automatic i think. Since there might be situation when there are more than 1 carrier to choose where to enter. So those buttons to enter for unit you choose must be shown for all possible carriers inside "castle" (or whatever that unit/building is) where this unit may enter.

There also might be situations when there are multiple carriers but not all of them can be entered by unit. For example siege unit in aof — it can't enter wagons but can enter some ships.
i think you misunderstand here something
when it is about going "up" on hierarchy that is exact where to
when it is going down into a carrier also exact where to
b2198

Post by b2198 »

Midonik wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:22 pm - the carrided nit can be draggeed into each other (eg. into a wagon in a castle)
- the carrided nit can be draggeed onto the building meaning to go up one level in the carry hierarchy

I feel like these are not that intuitive. Maybe if there was a button to represent it would be more obvious.
I agree on the second one, took me a good half a year to notice that was a thing, I think highlighting that button and other carriers while dragging a unit could help a lot to improve that.
Green is the correct color, other colors are "less correct".
makazuwr32

Post by makazuwr32 »

Stratego (dev) wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:23 pm
Please add option to forcibly disable waypoints for yourself
if you dont like dont press it, why would u need this special option? is it ugly or something? why is it annoying?
Problem is that you may sometimes misclick and press onto those buttons.
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
makazuwr32

Post by makazuwr32 »

Stratego (dev) wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:22 pm
i am not sure, this is a general "unit help" thingie - others you also think it is good here?
Well heal rate might not be that important but effects' icons i'd say will not be that crowded.
Ofc we must limit it to some number (2-4 at most) and rest of 'em will still be hidden.
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

makazuwr32 wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:47 am
Stratego (dev) wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:22 pm
Well heal rate might not be that important but effects' icons i'd say will not be that crowded.
Ofc we must limit it to some number (2-4 at most) and rest of 'em will still be hidden.
i am still not sure (also showing not all also not good imho) - others? what u think?
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

b2198 wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 1:26 am
Midonik wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:22 pm - the carrided nit can be draggeed into each other (eg. into a wagon in a castle)

I agree on the second one, took me a good half a year to notice that was a thing, I think highlighting that button and other carriers while dragging a unit could help a lot to improve that.
I see so when you start dragging all possible targets got highlighted? ok i write this one to first post.
b2198

Post by b2198 »

Stratego (dev) wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:21 am
makazuwr32 wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:47 am Well heal rate might not be that important but effects' icons i'd say will not be that crowded.
i am still not sure (also showing not all also not good imho) - others? what u think?
Hm, I think that could be a good indicative that that specific carrier can or cannot heal units inside, probably good to also show it for mending carried. In both cases, maybe only show it if the unit in question has those stats different from 0 (not sure if it already exists in a variant, but one might want to make a negative healing for carried units, so != 0 would make more sense for those cases instead of > 0).

Though I also have my doubts if that wouldn't be cluttering the UI too much. Is the new dialog for them visually the same as in current version?
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

b2198 wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:22 am Is the new dialog for them visually the same as in current version?
yes and no: this topic if ment to change it if needed, currently i started the same visual - but in a little bigger dialog window to have a little more space
makazuwr32

Post by makazuwr32 »

Actually i like that idea of showing that building can heal or mend even more. Just if it can heal or can't. That alone is enough, no need for actual values — you can look those in stat sheet of unit.
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

ok but where to put it?

i am here now with my draft
makazuwr32

Post by makazuwr32 »

Exactly where did you put heal/mend rates is good placement but i'd say enough to place "+" similar to heal ability of priests if building has healing and icon similar to hammer from ambidextria if building has mending.
And ": X", where X is heal/mend rate.
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

This view is totally needs a redesign or rearrangement, as currenly only bunch of buttons placed here and there (naturally not all buttons appear always)

if u have any idea how to make this view look better, where to put which button and thingie, please write.

also this view have a form for wagons too where all production related thing is missing - so big empty dialog, i assume it is enough if i make the dialog smaller that case, or tell me any other idea if u have.
TntAttack

Post by TntAttack »

https://ibb.co/vHwX9Gy

The above photo shows 3 different states, 1-3 but it's to be taken loosely.

Basically, my idea is that instead of those icons we have in the upper left that we can drop units up and down a carrier, we should have button tabs.

At the bottom left, we should have a Carrier inventory slot for players to put their carriers e.g. wagons on.

What happens is that the Carrier inventory opens (see state 3), showing all the units inside that Carrier that you just placed inside the Carrier slot.

The wagon unit still exists in the town inventory when dragged into the Carrier inventory slot, however some indicator may be needed to inform the player which Carrier unit was currently on the Carrier Inventory Slot.

With this, the player can swap to any carriers they wish, opening any other carriers in the town like usual or move back via the button tabs.

The Unit Inventory will still hold the current units displayed from inside the wagon unit which is in the carrier inventory slot, thus all the player has to do is drag and drop where ever they need.

Note:
- There might need to be a Carrier Inventory Clear button
- Unclear if there is needed a feature for moving single units
- Unclear if unit inventory should always be open.
- Need to mark Carrier and units that are in the Inventory Slot, as otherwise players might confuse themselves thinking they have two duplicate units.

I have a feeling you are confused Mr Dev. I think I might be confused as well. Do you think my writing style is hard to understand?
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

on this view i wanted to make a little more informative appearance for the little dots for
- remaining movement
- and remaining action

this is the current but i am not so happy - so any suggestions is appreciated.

Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

the current images
Attachments
slot_icon_action.png
slot_icon_action.png (5.13 KiB) Viewed 1798 times
slot_icon_speed.png
slot_icon_speed.png (5.42 KiB) Viewed 1798 times
TntAttack

Post by TntAttack »

Stratego (dev) wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 4:45 pm on this view i wanted to make a little more informative appearance for the little dots for
- remaining movement
- and remaining action

this is the current but i am not so happy - so any suggestions is
It doesn't looks very visible, maybe make it red in colour like the red dot? I would like to be able to glance over and immediately understand what I can use or not.

Also will this represent the numerical amount of remaining movement and attack? E.g. units has 2 attacks, therefore there are two sword icon?

Honestly. Is there even a need for a movement indicator? Players can just tell if a unit can move if it isnt greyed out (already move state). As for the remaining action, the red dot serves well.

Maybe if you gave units Numerical based red dots based off their actions remaining that would be more ideal. Personally I like the simplistic nature of the red dot design but I wonder what others think.
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

on this view i made the unit drag+drop option - same way we have on Android.

but i have problem with the "move to upper level carrier" feature:
lets assume you see an archer in a wagon that is inside a TC.
- you need to drag the archer unit onto the wagon image on top to go up one level
- however it will not go into the wagon (as it is there already in the wagon) but will go one level up to the TC.
this is non intuitive imho.
(this is the same unintuitive/contradictory/odd in Android verison too)

any sugestions how it should be?

maybe ideas:
a) a new icon to the left of the wagon image showing the TC too? (and you need to drag the unit there)
b2198

Post by b2198 »

Stratego (dev) wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:35 pm on this view i made the unit drag+drop option - same way we have on Android.

but i have problem with the "move to upper level carrier" feature:
lets assume you see an archer in a wagon that is inside a TC.
- you need to drag the archer unit onto the wagon image on top to go up one level
- however it will not go into the wagon (as it is there already in the wagon) but will go one level up to the TC.
this is non intuitive imho.
(this is the same unintuitive/contradictory/odd in Android verison too)

any sugestions how it should be?

maybe ideas:
a) a new icon to the left of the wagon image showing the TC too? (and you need to drag the unit there)
I think that could help a lot. Maybe also make it look more like a "unit slot", so that it's more obvious you can drag a unit into it.

I agree that the current one is unintuitive, as it took me many months and then another player explaining it to me to learn how to do that lol XD

Return to “Unity version workbench”