spear thrower

TheBluePhoenix

spear thrower

Post by TheBluePhoenix »

This unit will help to kill fast approaching army of cavalry faster. many a times it happens that the opponent suddenly ambushes with cavalry in fog warfare. Suddenly many knights surround our zone. So i thought it would be better if a variant of the pikeman is made which throws his spears quite accurately at these speeding horses
Stats:
Cost 2
Health 11
Range 5
Attack power 5( 300% bonus on all cavalry units as they cannot duck a fast moving spear easily at high charging speeds. No bonus for other units as they can easily easily dodge the spear as they are much slower than knights)
Rest all stats same as pikeman
Accuracy: 50% hit chance for all units
BEWARE!!!!The long lost empire of phoenicia is rising- The world is but just near the golden age,wherein men played and frolicked,without any worries at all

Alexander82

Re: spear thrower

Post by Alexander82 »

Isn't that some sort of skirmisher?
Age of Fantasy design leader
TheBluePhoenix

Post by TheBluePhoenix »

Yes but much stronger for a cavalry unit compared to the skirmisher
It is basically a fusion of skirmisher and pikeman
BEWARE!!!!The long lost empire of phoenicia is rising- The world is but just near the golden age,wherein men played and frolicked,without any worries at all

COOLguy

Post by COOLguy »

Would that actually work? Wouldn't arrows work better?

The reason pikes are such effective anti-mounted weapons is because the user can plant the end of his pike to meet the charging horse while staying out of his opponent's weapon range.
Thanks!
Josh
Alexander82

Post by Alexander82 »

COOLguy wrote:Would that actually work? Wouldn't arrows work better?

The reason pikes are such effective anti-mounted weapons is because the user can plant the end of his pike to meet the charging horse while staying out of his opponent's weapon range.
Exactly
TheBluePhoenix

Post by TheBluePhoenix »

I didnt get you cool guy. Have you seen troy?? Kind of achilles kills a horseman from far away with a spear. I dont mean it to be so long ranged (achilles was a hero spearman is not) but equivalently effective in stopping an advancing horseman

Alexander82

Post by Alexander82 »

But it's mostly what a skirmisher who isn't achilles do aside from oneshotting the knight
TheBluePhoenix

Post by TheBluePhoenix »

Thats what i said. He is a skirmisher pikeman fusion good against advqncing knights like skirmisher is to the archer.

COOLguy

Post by COOLguy »

TheBluePhoenix wrote:I didnt get you cool guy. Have you seen troy?? Kind of achilles kills a horseman from far away with a spear. I dont mean it to be so long ranged (achilles was a hero spearman is not) but equivalently effective in stopping an advancing horseman
Okay sorry, but: Achilles is myth. Even if based upon a historical figure, there is no way that you believe for example that he was invincible save for the back of his heel.

The drawing force of a war bow can be up to 110 lbs. There is no possible way that a man can achieve as much penetrating power by throwing a heavy spear.

Like I said above, the reason for a pikes effectiveness against cavalry is its range in comparison to a horseman's sword and its use of the horseman's momentum for penetrating power.

So I don't think that a throwing spear would be effective against mounted units.
Thanks!
Josh
TheBluePhoenix

Post by TheBluePhoenix »

Okay lets not get into much physics. The basic idea was to have a ranged unit who is more effective in dealing with cavalry. Maybe the skirmisher can have a bonus against them instead of a seperate unit??

Darkknight

Post by Darkknight »

TheBluePhoenix wrote:Okay lets not get into much physics. The basic idea was to have a ranged unit who is more effective in dealing with cavalry. Maybe the skirmisher can have a bonus against them instead of a seperate unit??
This will make skirmisher too strong. It would unbalance the game. If we increase its cost it would loose its function as a cheap unit effective against archers.
TheBluePhoenix

Post by TheBluePhoenix »

Thats the main reason i wanted to create a seperate unit

Alexander82

Post by Alexander82 »

some time ago i sugggested a tech called Spear Throwing that should have given the skirmisher a bonus against cavalry.
Daniel went against it saying that the unit is already pretty strong as it is, so i think that's settled.
COOLguy

Post by COOLguy »

TheBluePhoenix wrote:The basic idea was to have a ranged unit who is more effective in dealing with cavalry.
I don't think there should be such a unit. You will see in history that cavalry and mounted units usually carried the battlefield until the introduction of pike formations and other strong infantry tactics against cavalry.

Even now in the game you can defeat cavalry with ranged units if you're lucky and smart; and ranged units are a good way to weaken cavalry for other units (usually infantry) to destroy.
Thanks!
Josh
TheBluePhoenix

Post by TheBluePhoenix »

Alexander82 wrote:some time ago i sugggested a tech called Spear Throwing that should have given the skirmisher a bonus against cavalry.
Daniel went against it saying that the unit is already pretty strong as it is, so i think that's settled.
I didnot know this.
But i still think that there should a unit like this. Nevertheless if dev says no then he must have had a good reason behind it
I have read that there were spear throwers at least in indian armies to down cavalry units(@ coolguy)

COOLguy

Post by COOLguy »

Spear thrower killing cavalry: Yes I'm sure that a spear thrower could be able to kill a cavalry unit. But so can a guy with a rock. ;)

I don't think that we should have a spear thrower unit that is dedicated to downing cavalry as the physics are very much against it.
Thanks!
Josh
TheBluePhoenix

Post by TheBluePhoenix »

It has been used in armies so i dont understand how physics opposes it

COOLguy

Post by COOLguy »

So have pitchforks and lassos.

Would a spear thrower be more effective of an anti-cavalry unit than a pike or bow - not to mention a war bow? That is a rhetorical question; the answer is no. :)

A man with a knife can kill a horseman. Does that mean that we should make a knife wielding unit that specifically is for downing cavalry?
Thanks!
Josh
HokanPL

Post by HokanPL »

Spears are effective against infantry, too. Maybe:

1. 4 turns, not 2
2. Some more health and pierce armor, low armor.
3. Big damage, but with a 50% chance to hit (like catapult)
TheBluePhoenix

Post by TheBluePhoenix »

I already suggested no. 3
Ok if cool guy agrees i am ready to apply no. 1,2 also

COOLguy

Post by COOLguy »

Yes, I'm okay with a spear thrower as long it is not an anti-cavalry one-shotter that doesn't make sense (outside of Hollywood) :)
Thanks!
Josh
makazuwr32

Post by makazuwr32 »

Are they not javelin throwers?
makazuwr32 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:54 amWhen you ask to change something argument why...
Put some numbers, compare to what other races have and so on...
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
COOLguy

Post by COOLguy »

makazuwr32 wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:42 pm Are they not javelin throwers?
Idk, is there a throwing spear that is not a javelin? If not I will close this topic.
Thanks!
Josh
makazuwr32

Post by makazuwr32 »

Yes there were few variants but i think the difference is only in weight and sizes.
makazuwr32 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:54 amWhen you ask to change something argument why...
Put some numbers, compare to what other races have and so on...
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
Gral.Sturnn

Post by Gral.Sturnn »

And the point shape.
~Gral.Sturnn
Badnorth

Post by Badnorth »

Topic revival
Stats:
Cost: 3
Trained at : Towncenter & Ranged barracks
Hp: 21
Att: 8
Range: 4
Spd: 3
Armor: 1
P.Armor: 2
Sight: 5
SR: 0%
Bonuses:
100% Mounted
400% Elephants
Attachments
unit_spear_thrower.png
unit_spear_thrower.png (1.34 KiB) Viewed 2658 times
For newcomers, click here for discord links. Hopefully they aren't expired.
L4cus

Post by L4cus »

actually, at ancient warfaer, there were units speciallized in fighting elephants, shooting at the eyes, hurting their legs, using spike shields and seting them at the floor that way elephants hurts their feets, or killing the elephant crew. Even the roman army had used some of these troops, but i am not sure if they were as effctive against cavalry, or if they were spear trowers.
there was a variant of the pikemen with those spike shields, and spike helmet too, used against elephants.
also, now that i am reading about this topic, elephants are afraid of fire and smoke. maybe an aura that nerfs elephants? units with torches should be able to get that. its just an idea, and i dont think is viable at all. maybe elephants unaffected by camel fear but affected but fire fear would be great.

this unit sohuld be an anti elephant instead of anti-mounted unit. anyway, thats my opinion
Extra ecclesiam nulla salus...
AOD, a new variant...
viewforum.php?f=230
L4cus

Post by L4cus »

i also found about: elphant-slaying arrows
AOD, a new variant...
viewforum.php?f=230
Badnorth

Post by Badnorth »

L4cus wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:17 pm i also found about: elphant-slaying arrows
I think they will be unused because of the high conversion chance the converters have imo.
For newcomers, click here for discord links. Hopefully they aren't expired.
L4cus

Post by L4cus »

QuadrupoleStrat wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:32 pm
L4cus wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:17 pm i also found about: elphant-slaying arrows
I think they will be unused because of the high conversion chance the converters have imo.
idk exactly what u mean. these arrows were used to pierce elphants skins and armor. the shape of the arrows made them hard to draw hurting the animal.
AOD, a new variant...
viewforum.php?f=230

Return to “Unit - ranged (like archers)”