Are roads too expensive.

Put here any ideas, suggestions about unit or structure properties.
DreJaDe

Are roads too expensive.

Post by DreJaDe »

Playing this game for quite a while now, I noticed that roads are kinda... Too expensive isn't it?

I mean, there's drummer and the post house which both cost 3 turns. Roads being 3-4?

I might not be seeing things but it seems that it's just doesn't add up.

Trying to see the benefits of the two, I see that roads are indeed more versatile but... Making them work needs a lot of them which means that their cost would still be much greater than other speed buffs.

Can't the roads be more cheaper?
godOfKings

Re: Are roads too expensive.

Post by godOfKings »

With enough roads, a horse can move 10 tiles a turn, how is it expensive?
There is no place for false kings here, only those who proves themselves to b the true kings of legend, or serves under me

For I watch over this world looking for those worthy to become kings, and on the way get rid of the fakes and rule over the fools
DreJaDe

Post by DreJaDe »

godOfKings wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 5:38 pm With enough roads, a horse can move 10 tiles a turn, how is it expensive?
If a unit costs 10 turns to make, have stats of 1 turn. You could also say that with enough turn, I could make it occupy the whole map with it.

Another 1. With enough time, I could have the money to have an Iphone 12.

Doesn't really mean it's cheap or anything.

I'm talking about the price, the cost.
I think I already explained that.

For you to be able to benefit to the road (that +2 speed) you would need 5-8 roads who h will cost 20 to 32 turns. For me that seems a lot compared to drummers and post houses.
godOfKings

Post by godOfKings »

Dont u need only 2 stone roads of 8 worker action for +2 speed?
There is no place for false kings here, only those who proves themselves to b the true kings of legend, or serves under me

For I watch over this world looking for those worthy to become kings, and on the way get rid of the fakes and rule over the fools
DreJaDe

Post by DreJaDe »

godOfKings wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:59 pm Dont u need only 2 stone roads of 8 worker action for +2 speed?
No.tested it. You needed the whole 4 for +1 5 roads for +2

There's a bug though in Map editor when changing the units on the same location which might give that result you are saying.
godOfKings

Post by godOfKings »

Ya many things changed, i didnt realise b4 speed boost from road terrains were reduced a lot

godOfKings

Post by godOfKings »

How about this, road/stone road cost 3/4 turns without ambidextria, 2/3 turns with ambidextria for workers, for laborers it will b 5/6 and 4/5 respectively

b2198

Post by b2198 »

I mean, stone roads already cost 3 if you have elite builders, just put something "roadable" like a great flag where you want to build it and with the double action ability use mend road 4 times to get a stone road there, and afterwards you can choose if you want to delete the placed structure or finish it.
Green is the correct color, other colors are "less correct".
DreJaDe

Post by DreJaDe »

b2198 wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:42 pm I mean, stone roads already cost 3 if you have elite builders, just put something "roadable" like a great flag where you want to build it and with the double action ability use mend road 4 times to get a stone road there, and afterwards you can choose if you want to delete the placed structure or finish it.
That's definitely a bug though...

Also, I just learned that the road skill are opposite.

Stone roads skill will build the brown one.
b2198

Post by b2198 »

I don't think it's a bug, it's the same process to building roads in any building. What it might be is a number overlook, that makes it faster than just building a road normally with the elite builder's 2 actions. Or maybe an unintuitive mechanic, but wouldn't call it a bug per se, since it works as expected in terms of game logic (might or might not in terms of game balancing, but that's a different thing).
Green is the correct color, other colors are "less correct".
Endru1241

Post by Endru1241 »

DreJaDe wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:42 am Playing this game for quite a while now, I noticed that roads are kinda... Too expensive isn't it?

I mean, there's drummer and the post house which both cost 3 turns. Roads being 3-4?

I might not be seeing things but it seems that it's just doesn't add up.

Trying to see the benefits of the two, I see that roads are indeed more versatile but... Making them work needs a lot of them which means that their cost would still be much greater than other speed buffs.

Can't the roads be more cheaper?
Valid.
I'll recalculate and set roads to be build in 2 turns and stone roads in 3 turns by ambidexteria worker.
I'll try to make it 3/4 for laborer.
Although legionary would have faster build time too (which doesn't really make much difference with regular usage of his ability to build).
b2198 wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:26 am I don't think it's a bug, it's the same process to building roads in any building. What it might be is a number overlook, that makes it faster than just building a road normally with the elite builder's 2 actions. Or maybe an unintuitive mechanic, but wouldn't call it a bug per se, since it works as expected in terms of game logic (might or might not in terms of game balancing, but that's a different thing).
I realised that.
But I don't know of a way to temporarily disable ability.
Age of Strategy design leader
Endru1241

Post by Endru1241 »

Mentioned change of build time in the assets.
It came out as 4/4/4/3 (Laborer/ Ambidexteria Laborer/ Worker/ Ambidexteria Worker) for stone road and 3/3/3/2 for regular one.
Age of Strategy design leader

Return to “Unit balancing”