Balancing of Cuman horse archer.

Put here any ideas, suggestions about unit or structure properties.
DreJaDe

Balancing of Cuman horse archer.

Post by DreJaDe »

So basically, Cuman horse archer is a unit that cost 3 turns and is only available in a special factory.

At first look, it looks ok. Good stats, is my first thought looking at it.

But!!!

As a self proclaimed veteran AOS player, I noticed something.

It's that the Mongolian horse archer is better at it so much so that their cost are not in line.

Mongolian horse archer cost 4, available in so many factories, has 6 speed, and 2 turn attack! Compared that to Cumans and Cumans become nothing.

I didn't come here without a suggestion though. I actually have multiple. Though just one for them is enough, no mix.

(In this suggestion, I will refer to units with initials)

-Swap the availability of CHA and MHA
-Increase CHA speed to 6
-Increase CHA attack to 6
-Increase CHA attack turns to 2
-Make CHA a merc and decrease their turns to two
-Increase it's range to 5
Last edited by DreJaDe on Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
L4cus

Re: Balancing of human horse archer.

Post by L4cus »

CHA with 6 attack is way higher than regular horse archer! for a 3 turns unit is not compensated, in addition to the other change to make it more aviable i can see how this might be broken
Extra ecclesiam nulla salus...
AOD, a new variant...
viewforum.php?f=230
DreJaDe

Re: Balancing of human horse archer.

Post by DreJaDe »

L4cus wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:57 pm CHA with 6 attack is way higher than regular horse archer! for a 3 turns unit is not compensated, in addition to the other change to make it more aviable i can see how this might be broken
It is compensated.
It has lower hp, lower range, lower availability etc.

The suggestion as I've said is not supposed to be mixed but just one of them being used.
Endru1241

Re: Balancing of Cuman horse archer.

Post by Endru1241 »

I think swapping availability is the best.
This way cha becomes steppe main more available unit, while mha better, but more limited one.

And this way 3 turn 5 speed ranged unit becomes interesting alternative to light cav as fast tc occupier.
Age of Strategy design leader
b2198

Post by b2198 »

Yeah, I agree with endru here, adding another 3 turn cavalry to contend with light cav. and hungarian hussar in early skirmishes of mounted units would be interesting. Plus with Tengri Shaman buff they would get to 6 speed (and mongolian horse archer would be tied with axe knight as fastest possible mounted unit in the game, both with 10 speed with buffs and posthouse)
Green is the correct color, other colors are "less correct".
b2198

Post by b2198 »

On a related note, maybe with this change mha should be increased to cost 5 and buffed in terms of durability (more hp and pierce armor)?
DreJaDe

Post by DreJaDe »

b2198 wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:51 am On a related note, maybe with this change mha should be increased to cost 5 and buffed in terms of durability (more hp and pierce armor)?
With how big the mongol army is? I kinda disagree in making them more costly.
b2198

Post by b2198 »

DreJaDe wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:55 am With how big the mongol army is? I kinda disagree in making them more costly.
Hm, good point, maybe just adding an upgrade for them, like mangudai, as GoK suggested in the steppe factory thread (this one), would be a better idea.
godOfKings

Post by godOfKings »

yes i support keshik as heavy mongol infantry and mongudai as ranged dmg dealer to b the main late game army for the steppe faction, i did some research in age of empires and discovered mongudai also had some bonus against siege, but since we already have raiders as anti siege, this is not needed
There is no place for false kings here, only those who proves themselves to b the true kings of legend, or serves under me

For I watch over this world looking for those worthy to become kings, and on the way get rid of the fakes and rule over the fools
Endru1241

Post by Endru1241 »

In assets:
Cuman Horse Archer added to TC, Archery Range.
Mongolian Horse Archer removed from TC.
Age of Strategy design leader

Return to “Unit balancing”