Auxiliary needing Marian reforms

Put here any ideas, suggestions about unit or structure properties.
DreJaDe

Auxiliary needing Marian reforms

Post by DreJaDe »

I just find out that Auxillary was actually done in the 30th bc which means that it was probably much later than the legions.

So here's my suggestions

So having the Auxilla in itself is useless because there's legionary, and its only real purpose is for the summon ability. So what if you can just make them cost 2 though they have to be only available after the Auxillary summons.

Another one is to remove the training of them completely and just buff the summons. Same cost less CD. Maybe 3-5.

It's kinda fair that they have the CD of 6 considering their stats and unit cost but in this suggestion. They would only be available once in already in the 13th turn, considering their entry I think them being cheap will still only make them equal to the more superior blacksmith army.
L4cus

Re: Auxiliary needing Marian reforms

Post by L4cus »

i was thinking something similar, alaes are from the kingdom period of rome as well as pre-marian reform current untis, so u would have alaes+pre marian reform units before researching marian reforms
just an idea...
Extra ecclesiam nulla salus...
AOD, a new variant...
viewforum.php?f=230
Endru1241

Post by Endru1241 »

Let's not get too much into specifics of historical differences.
English got the meaning of the word pretty close. Auxila in latin literally means "help".
So, while official "Auxila Cohors" were in fact only a thing made official by Augustus, army really functioned in similar way before.
Ala worked pretty much the same, but had worse status.

Real changes were related to conquers of provinces, that allowed having regular army from what was previously unavailable or available only as mercenaries.

I don't wan to deprive possibility to start fast (or for some campaigns) and train it without techs.
But the tech could e.g. unlock real production of precise auxiliary units instead of random, while revoking auxila production.
Summon shouldn't be affected I hope.
Or we can try if cost decrease works properly and just make the tech affect Auxila with -1 cost.
Age of Strategy design leader
L4cus

Post by L4cus »

thats nice, what about socii? is there a posibility to be aded?
AOD, a new variant...
viewforum.php?f=230
Endru1241

Post by Endru1241 »

Name it alae (wings), socii (allies), symmachiarii (allies from Greek symmachoi) or Foederati (armies brought by a treaty).
The point to bring any unit is above simple mention of historical name - an idea behind.
If some faction/culture or simply in general have too many similar ones we can skip adding something which would fit perfectly, because there is no point regarding the balance.

So in other words - I see no point to make another set of at least few images just to represent earlier equivalent of auxilia.
It's better to think of a way to boost/nerf units in some interesting way to make different cultures play differently.
But if interesting enough idea appears - why not.
Age of Strategy design leader
L4cus

Post by L4cus »

ok i get it...will think in an option like socii equites extraordinarii for roman shock cavalry...
AOD, a new variant...
viewforum.php?f=230

Return to “Unit balancing”