Legionaries are kinda meh... - ANSWERED

DoomCarrot
Location: Commanding General's quarters, a tall keep above the mighty city of Carrot's Point

Legionaries are kinda meh... - ANSWERED

Post by DoomCarrot »

So, I've tried to use the new legionaries a few games in a row, and they really don't seem like an effective, or important unit.

They are like a tough swordsman basically. They really don't serve much of a useful purpose in all honesty. By the time you have man-at-arms, they can stand toe to toe with a legionary and they only cost 2 turns.

My point is, legionaries kinda seem like a pointless cross-between unit, like chariots. They try to merge light and heavy infantry into one, and in the end create a unit that really isn't that good at anything. Now, I'm ok with this in all honesty, if everybody else likes them how they are, I get it. I just thought I would give me and my brother's opinions about them after we played a few games with them.

I don't know if anyone remembers the old topic that we discussed this unit in, but I recommended something along these lines: Make a very weak infantry unit (like a swordsman) and make them cost, say... 2 or 3 turns. However, they would have a special, that allowed adjacent legionaries to gain a +1 armor rating for every adjacent legionaire. So if you had 5 legionaries, the one in the middle would have 4 armor, and all the others on the sides would have 1 armor.
I think this would do a few things...

1. It would make them more historically accurate. Individual roman soldiers actually sucked. It was thier teamwork, training, and discipline that made them fight together incredibly well.

2. It would give people another reason to not just mindlessly charge in. They would require discipline and time to be a powerful force.

3. They would be far more useful and strategic. Right now they are almost over-balanced to the point that they kinda are meh at everything.

Yay or nay?
Last edited by DoomCarrot on Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
The day is coming when a single carrot, freshly observed, will set off a revolution.
COOLguy

Re: Legionaries are kinda meh...

Post by COOLguy »

I actually like it... A LOT! :)

Yeah I remember the original thread. I think it came down to waiting for the extra coding or just getting implemented with changed stats, is how it worked out.

But yes I agree, when Daniel gets time I would like the legionnaires to gain that extra armor.
Thanks!
Josh
ejm29

Post by ejm29 »

I really like the idea to! It would make strategically placing much more important :)
"I don't care who I have to step on on my way down."
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

i like the +1 idea, put it onto voting and it can be configured
Darkknight

Post by Darkknight »

DoomCarrot wrote: I don't know if anyone remembers the old topic that we discussed this unit in, but I recommended something along these lines: Make a very weak infantry unit (like a swordsman) and make them cost, say... 2 or 3 turns. However, they would have a special, that allowed adjacent legionaries to gain a +1 armor rating for every adjacent legionaire. So if you had 5 legionaries, the one in the middle would have 4 armor, and all the others on the sides would have 1 armor.
This is a very useful idea but there should be a limit to how much armor it can get or it will be too strong.
DoomCarrot
Location: Commanding General's quarters, a tall keep above the mighty city of Carrot's Point

Post by DoomCarrot »

Darkknight wrote:
DoomCarrot wrote: I don't know if anyone remembers the old topic that we discussed this unit in, but I recommended something along these lines: Make a very weak infantry unit (like a swordsman) and make them cost, say... 2 or 3 turns. However, they would have a special, that allowed adjacent legionaries to gain a +1 armor rating for every adjacent legionaire. So if you had 5 legionaries, the one in the middle would have 4 armor, and all the others on the sides would have 1 armor.
This is a very useful idea but there should be a limit to how much armor it can get or it will be too strong.

The most you could have is +4 armor, which is not OP. Because every tile is adjacent to 4 others (besides the edges)

Also, the middle ones WOULD be OP kind of... Thats the point. You would have to pick off the ones on the sides before going for the ones with that +4 armor.
The day is coming when a single carrot, freshly observed, will set off a revolution.
Darkknight

Post by Darkknight »

DoomCarrot wrote:
Darkknight wrote:

The most you could have is +4 armor, which is not OP. Because every tile is adjacent to 4 others (besides the edges)

Also, the middle ones WOULD be OP kind of... Thats the point. You would have to pick off the ones on the sides before going for the ones with that +4 armor.
I understanded the idea differently. Now i get what you mean. This idea is very good. It is not OP and it will add more strategy to the game.
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

was this discussion closed?
COOLguy

Post by COOLguy »

Yes, this thread changed midway through. It ended up as a "shield wall" suggestion.
Thanks!
Josh

Return to “Closed ones”