Orc Slaver?

Alpha

Orc Slaver?

Post by Alpha »

What are your guys thoughts on a special converter unit for the orcs that enslave units.

Personally when I think of this they typically convert a unit that reverts them to a very weak state (Think of a thrall that have barely any armor or equipment) and are essentially cannon fodder to protect superior regular orc warriors.
Epic Gamer Moment!
makazuwr32

Re: Orc Slaver?

Post by makazuwr32 »

We decided not to give any means of converting for any race except undeads (who will get it back via researchable possession ability with melee range and self destruction of banshee).

Another issue with this idea (we discussed this even with Alex) — whom we can convert (Can we convert trolls? What about saurians? Can we convert any actual undead units? And if we can't what about apocalyptic knights and necromancers who are alive? And many-many more questions — for example mechanical units of gnomes who also have some pilots inside...) and into whom we will "convert" units (i do not mention that we were not able to convert units into specific ones we want when we discussed that — it is possible now) since we have too many various races: orcs, goblins, trolls, minotaurs, uruks, ologs, savage giants, ogres, hobgoblins, merlocks, mertrolls and merblins only inside horde race — and converting via this unit for example defender war mammoth unit into human slave will look really weird. Thus for this unit we would require to make (if we convert unit into actual slave, and not just to our side with debuff for example; on other hand converting actual units to your side is prohibited for anyone except undeads — how can you imagine converting of scalefolks or orcs for elves? they will plead not to kill them and their forests?!) more than 50 more units just to make it looking not weird.
makazuwr32 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:54 amWhen you ask to change something argument why...
Put some numbers, compare to what other races have and so on...
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
Alpha

Post by Alpha »

Perhaps to symplify it should only effect the very basic races, primarily elves, humans, probably other orcs?, dwarves and lizardmen. If we were to include all possible races and sub races it may be a bit much to be quite honest.
Epic Gamer Moment!
makazuwr32

Post by makazuwr32 »

Alpha wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:05 pm Perhaps to symplify it should only effect the very basic races, primarily elves, humans, probably other orcs?, dwarves and lizardmen. If we were to include all possible races and sub races it may be a bit much to be quite honest.
But orcs at base already have:
Orcs, trolls, giant trolls, goblins, merlocks, mertrolls, giant mertrolls, merblins, orcish dragons. Already 9.
Scalefolks at base have:
Kobolds, lizards, saurians, turtlemen, dragons. 5 (and that is without naval units, with them this amount will increase for 2-4 more i think).
Humans, elves and dwarves have 1-2 at base (plants are not capturable i suppose, mermen will become part of beastfolk allies sub for elves).

So anyway it is quite questionable idea.
makazuwr32 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:54 amWhen you ask to change something argument why...
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
Alpha

Post by Alpha »

I believe by base I more or less mean like the base units you typically have when you start a game with no upgrades, so by that it would be goblins and orcs and for lizards once unlocked kobolds and lizards.
Epic Gamer Moment!
makazuwr32

Post by makazuwr32 »

No upgrades?
Orc have goblins, orcs, single troll, merblins and merlocks in no upgrades.
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
Savra

Post by Savra »

I think he means convertible units being only:

Humans
Orcs
Goblins
Elves
Dwarves
Lizardman
Kobalds

These should be fine since basically we could just make them get converted to laborer like units for orcs with exception to goblin ones.
Savra

Post by Savra »

But subs won't get effected btw, like warfell for example.
White Snake

Post by White Snake »

Can i make a suggestion?
makazuwr32

Post by makazuwr32 »

White Snake wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:58 pm Can i make a suggestion?
why not?
It is up to you to make suggestions and up to us for discussing and accepting them.

Nothing wrong in a mere discussion.
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
White Snake

Post by White Snake »

If orcs ever heve the ability to enslave a unit why not put that ability on the Orc Slaver?
makazuwr32

Post by makazuwr32 »

We will think about it alas i am still against giving any variants of converting units for any non-undead race.
Even if you get instead of normal unit a substrate unit in form of slave.

We still have savra and even stratego though so if any of those would be for this idea i will give up and accept.

Side note: initially this unit with whiplash attack was supposed to also have a chance to convert unit into slave, yes. But it was not possible back in time to make unit this way (forced transformation part) thus we got what we have now.
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader

Return to “Orc”