Throne

ProtectorLordGarmin

Throne

Post by ProtectorLordGarmin »

Thrones are from Fire Emblem, like 90% of my ideas.
Thrones are usually given to boss characters, and they end up staying there until the player character reaches them.
So, a Throne, in which only certain characters can be garrisoned. The garrisoned units take damage instead of the throne, and when a player character garrisons in (and captures) the throne, they win (or if there are multiple thrones, all units owned by the character are killed (so if blue's throne is captured, all of blue's units and buildings are destroyed and Blue loses)
This places heavy emphasis on defending the throne.
If this sounds good so far I'll elaborate in another reply
Leader of the Aegis Protectorate, the proud Defenders of Ambidia! If you would like some heavy protection, we can do some mercenary work... but such elite warriors come with an elite price.
Badnorth

Re: Throne

Post by Badnorth »

Like capture the flag?
For newcomers, click here for discord links. Hopefully they aren't expired.
ProtectorLordGarmin

Yeah. When a character is garrisoned in it, they are displayed on top of it, like they're sat on the throne, and the throne gives an aura that boosts the stats of any troops nearby, as well as the unit sitting on it. Along with those, the unit that is garrisoned on the throne cannot move off it: they become the Throne Defender for the remainder of the match.

It's not really capture the flag: usually, in CTF, you grab the flag and return it to your base. The Throne is only the first half: capturing the throne wins against that player. It would do good for more of a defensive Fortress type match.
Leader of the Aegis Protectorate, the proud Defenders of Ambidia! If you would like some heavy protection, we can do some mercenary work... but such elite warriors come with an elite price.
ProtectorLordGarmin

... Anyone else looking for this or everyone just doesn't care?
Badnorth

Post by Badnorth »

Im not really against it but dunno if tis needed. But ofc it is endru's choice to add it in. I am particularly thinking of throne to be enabled to train hero units instead, e.g. Prince, Champion, Huntress, Royal guard hero, QuadrupoleStrat etc. But if this idea was to be added I'd change the name from throne -> Hero altar, albeit hero stats needs to be balanced.
For newcomers, click here for discord links. Hopefully they aren't expired.
Hyuhjhih
Location: Earth, (the part of blue ball and is named India for some reasons)

Post by Hyuhjhih »

QuadrupoleStrat wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:02 am Im not really against it but dunno if tis needed. But ofc it is endru's choice to add it in. I am particularly thinking of throne to be enabled to train hero units instead, e.g. Prince, Champion, Huntress, Royal guard hero, QuadrupoleStrat etc. But if this idea was to be added I'd change the name from throne -> Hero altar, albeit hero stats needs to be balanced.
:shock:
LIE = Love Is Eternal.

Design leader of the variants Age of Gods and Age Of Civilization, and live heartedly contributing to AoS.

AoC discord server is up AoC
Hyuhjhih
Location: Earth, (the part of blue ball and is named India for some reasons)

Post by Hyuhjhih »

QuadrupoleStrat wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:02 am Hero altar, albeit hero stats needs to be balanced.
I would prefer a new map suggestion like CTF.
Cause we don't want heroes spoiling the game. Right?
Or it could go legendary as cool guy.
LIE = Love Is Eternal.

Design leader of the variants Age of Gods and Age Of Civilization, and live heartedly contributing to AoS.

AoC discord server is up AoC
ProtectorLordGarmin

No, it's not for training anything. It's just there and you need to defend it as best you can. If you neglect it, you fall. This could help teach some players the importance of defense as well as offense: instead of charging forward sometimes it better to hang back and reinforce your army first

Edit: though using a separate hero altar to train hero units I'm not opposed to that. But the throne is just meant for defending. The best it can do is give a unit maybe +2/2 armour when sat on it? Perhaps making the unit immobile isn't realistic, so I'll remove that part.
Endru1241

Post by Endru1241 »

From what I can understand - this is a proposition for new game mode. Something along capture the base.
There is no way to add anything even close by just using unit/effect properties.
But as far as I know no new game modes were ever added, so dev might not really be interested in that.
This could also fit for multiplier scenario, but again - we don't have those.
The best that can be done is to make single player map with that.
If someone would really want to, then I could add throne (there is an image for decorations already) as occupiable building with 1 range aura (the same tile only) and it the tile could have trigger added to make game lost for player loosing his throne.
Age of Strategy design leader
ProtectorLordGarmin

Yes, that is exactly what I was asking for. Buffs the throne keeper and nothing else, and loses the game for those who lose.

Not really for a new game mode, I don't think: one can build a reasonable army to keep safe and attack at the same time. But it emphasises defense like sometimes in some maps you might move a unit to kill an enemy, only for a different unit to swoop in and steal your tc. Using a throne will teach people to build effective defenses in different terrains, and allow them to learn the importance of defending other things too.
Endru1241

Post by Endru1241 »

ProtectorLordGarmin wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:28 pm Yes, that is exactly what I was asking for. Buffs the throne keeper and nothing else, and loses the game for those who lose.
The second condition makes a problem.
This can be done by triggers on specific scenario maps (campaign, maps from fans, scenarios), but there is no unit ability, that would make player loose the game if it gets killed.
Age of Strategy design leader
ProtectorLordGarmin

Yeah well the trigger is the perfect thing for it. Just attach a permanent trigger to it and bam that's it the end

Return to “Structures”