Holy Order Chapter House

phoenixffyrnig

Holy Order Chapter House

Post by phoenixffyrnig »

A stillborn idea I've been carrying for a while, initially inspired by the good work of @Squirrel5555 for the Teutonic order (Deus vult) - brought back to life after the efforts of @L4cus for additions to the holy Templars (Deus vult), and Endru's recent mention of dissatisfaction with the priory possibly not fully justifying it's existence (Deus can't vult all the time I suppose :lol: ) .

Anyway, essentially a faction building for the holy brethren, one for each brotherhood, Teutons, Hospitallers, and Templars. Within which would be all the respective units and upgrades, and could include things from the priory (herbalism, call crusade, monkish stuff) if we wanted to get rid of that. Some things could in theory be siphoned out to the church - another factory that largely loses purpose once desired upgrades have been researched.

I have in mind something stronger than the average factories but weaker than a fort, so build cost might need to reflect that, probably with a battle aura for their respective defenders of the faith, and maybe to reflect their different flavours, ie boost to conversion for Teutons, boost to heal for the others.

A lot of details to be ironed out, but I'd like to know if this idea has any legs before investing too much thought into it. Could be interesting in conjunction with the recent enthusiasm for expanding the Muslim side of things.
I also play an RTS game called Life 8-)
And I also like drinking beer! :D
Aral_Yaren

Re: Holy Order Chapter House

Post by Aral_Yaren »

Monestary is already cheap for the cause - even have siege weapon in it. But yeah, it's mega.

Shouldn't it be any rework for Priory for it?
There shall be times... when people across the world shall live in peace and harmony through their various diversities. I shall wait for it, even though it costs my life...
DreJaDe

Post by DreJaDe »

Doesn't the church factions already have so much?

They have like, normal crusaders, the tuetons, the templars. I think just adding some of them to the other of those should be good enough. Idk, never used them.
phoenixffyrnig

Post by phoenixffyrnig »

Aral_Yaren wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:58 pm Monestary is already cheap for the cause - even have siege weapon in it. But yeah, it's mega.
Monastery is a bit of an untidy mish-mash imo. It's got some crusader stuff, the Teutons (because they don't have anywhere else to be) and some siege weapons (I guess just because it's a mega). Yeah, it's cheap (well, a whole 2 turns cheaper than a castle), but it is much weaker in terms of less hp and lack of ability to defend itself. Heal ability isn't a huge amount of help tbf because if you build it on the front lines then it gets destroyed by siege, if you don't build it on the front lines then there's not much call for healing.
DreJaDe wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:23 am Doesn't the church factions already have so much?

They have like, normal crusaders, the tuetons, the templars. I think just adding some of them to the other of those should be good enough. Idk, never used them.
Yeah, they do have a lot, but as I say above, it's untidy. Plus Crusader units are actually pretty weak for their cost - just try them in battle - even fully boosted they don't serve you that well. My point is that Teutons, Templars and Hospitallers were all very separate entities - my suggestion is to better focus them. These are three of the most storied and famous orders/factions in post-classical Western history tbf.
I also play an RTS game called Life 8-)
And I also like drinking beer! :D
Aral_Yaren

Post by Aral_Yaren »

I know it (who in the AoS world would make it as frontline defense? But hey, I just saw 2 Monastery in the tournament) and never I waste Castle slot for it - even once I blamed B2198 for making Monastery. Yet it sells many favours compared to standard building like Priory or Church, as mega of course.

I wonder if other those Monastery units could fit into Priory for another shelter.
There shall be times... when people across the world shall live in peace and harmony through their various diversities. I shall wait for it, even though it costs my life...
Endru1241

Post by Endru1241 »

I am against it.

There is enough religious buildings, so we really don't need another one, bare three.

Besides as I already mentioned elsewhere - while different orders may present different organizations in the end AoS operates on cultural groups.
And they definitely represent one, quite coherent one.

Normally knigthly orders wouldn't even warrant being full culture, but there is already so many units, that trying to use all of them elsewhere is impossible.

Current plan is to move teutons to priory and make a change to add upgrades.

Plus I want a buff for bishop and some extensive rebalance for inquisitor.

But then monastery would need something in exchange.
Age of Strategy design leader
Aral_Yaren

Post by Aral_Yaren »

Ah yes, Inquisitor is hands up useless, and for a legendary unit has no great value to invest with such cost.

Is it possible if Monastery has 2 active effect, like that Divine Right and the other one (the red cross by crusy leader) to replace its current attribute? The range effect could be increased further special for it.
Endru1241

Post by Endru1241 »

The problem is that there is no way to increase aura range.

It has to be new effect then.

Besides healing is great and very useful to have for meat wall defence.
Current problem is that overbuffing makes breaking those too easy.

With those two auras it would only ever be useful for quite pricy units and even with greater - still limited range.

But they can be added as a bonus - I don't see any problem with that.
Age of Strategy design leader
L4cus

Post by L4cus »

Maybe an upgrade for the priory? I think the idea is good. Mega structure is way weaker for a megabuilding, is not that we have too many megas...
Adding it as a mega... not sure about it already a mega for religious units.
As a factory...we have priory (bad favtory) and church (good factory) so changing pfiory would be the best option...
Extra ecclesiam nulla salus...
AOD, a new variant...
viewforum.php?f=230
Squirrel5555

Post by Squirrel5555 »

Good idea with the religious buildings.
AOD Team - Join Us!

Return to “Structures”