Burning glass

APOKALIPTRIX

Burning glass

Post by APOKALIPTRIX »

Archimedes created what we may call the laser's grandpa:
It consisted in a convex lense used to focus the sunrays, it was used to burn enemy ship's sails slowing the ship
and setting it on fire. The melee defense must be low and the ranged high (it's a metallic mirror)
High bonus against ships and burnable, causes burning in ships and blindness in flesh and blood ( if you add this effect in the future). Must be built in the siege workshop.
If anyone likes this idea please suggest stats
Life is easier when dead is harder...
Hyuhjhih
Location: Earth, (the part of blue ball and is named India for some reasons)

Archimedes Inferno

Post by Hyuhjhih »

Yeah nice one. I like the concept. But, i think i could change some things.

NEW FORTIFIED TOWER

Archimedes Inferno
Hp 150
Att 10(can target buildings and burnables only)
Range 10
Arm 0/5
Constr bonus 0%
Mend bonus 0%
Heal rate 6
Carry capacity 3
2x2

Ability

Archimedes death ray
Set target on fire. Fire increment over time.
Standard on fire damage per stacking.
Cd 3, last

Passive effect

Blindness aura
-2 sight , affect allies,enemies. Rng 3

Thermal degradation
-x hp/turn ? Affect self

Imageimage concept
Attachments
Archimedes Inferno.png
Archimedes Inferno.png (2.75 KiB) Viewed 2026 times
LIE = Love Is Eternal.

Design leader of the variants Age of Gods and Age Of Civilization, and live heartedly contributing to AoS.

AoC discord server is up AoC
APOKALIPTRIX

Re: Burning glass

Post by APOKALIPTRIX »

PERFECT!
godOfKings

Post by godOfKings »

Does siege machine and ship count as burnable?
There is no place for false kings here, only those who proves themselves to b the true kings of legend, or serves under me

For I watch over this world looking for those worthy to become kings, and on the way get rid of the fakes and rule over the fools
MaharajaInfernape

Post by MaharajaInfernape »

godOfKings wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 1:56 pm Does siege machine and ship count as burnable?
Yes.
Badnorth

Post by Badnorth »

Moved to Structures.
For newcomers, click here for discord links. Hopefully they aren't expired.
Morningwarrior

Post by Morningwarrior »

Archimedes really left a sizzling look at history
I swore to protect and lead a great order that seeks enlightenment, I was chosen by the great star and I will pour out his fury against anyone who declares himself an enemy!
APOKALIPTRIX

Post by APOKALIPTRIX »

yes he did.
maybe i willl sugest more of his ideas in the future
Hyuhjhih

Post by Hyuhjhih »

How's the image btw
LIE = Love Is Eternal.

Design leader of the variants Age of Gods and Age Of Civilization, and live heartedly contributing to AoS.

Badnorth

Post by Badnorth »

Hyuhjhih wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 3:30 am How's the image btw
Looks like mushroom houses that was copy pasted to form a large house. But it looks a little good when looked upon from a far.
For newcomers, click here for discord links. Hopefully they aren't expired.
Endru1241

Post by Endru1241 »

I think it looks good enough.

But stats have to be balanced to not be mainstream, but rather a curiosity. So cost (time to build), endurance, attack power by size compared to others should leave it behind.
Or maybe be equal alternative for fighting ships/siege, but fall back because of lesser capabilities to fight regular land units.

E.g. it could have almost no damage - 2 and apply burn. Maybe blind debuff for flesh and blood units.
Age of Strategy design leader
APOKALIPTRIX

Post by APOKALIPTRIX »

i agree with endru
in real life all it did was set the sails on fire slowing the ships, its not a laser.
and yes the image looks great BTW.
Hyuhjhih

Post by Hyuhjhih »

Archimedes Inferno
A glimpse into the past. The same large mirror (not the same actually) which Archimedes used to concentrate sun's isolation over enemy ships to burn them from pretty far. This blindingly bright tower is pretty weak on self protection but is good enough to set batttle ground on fire. Due to high temperatures, the mirror needs periodic repairs.
Hp 150
Att 2(can target buildings and burnables only)
Range 12
Arm 0/5
Constr bonus 50%(10 turns in normal/7 turns with ambidextria)
Mend bonus 0%
Heal rate 6
Carry capacity 3
2x2

Ability

Archimedes death ray
Set target on fire. Fire increment over time.*POSSIBLE?(forms a perfect counter for siege tower tactics)
Standard on fire damage per stacking.
Cd 3, last

Passive effect

Blindness aura
Even the brightness of the sun is hard to look directly. So how about a tower glowing even brighter. I bet you don't want to test it.

Thermal degradation(just like a leaving, but longer)
The huge amount of concentrated rays over its large surface gradually wears away the mirror's reflective luster. Needs periodic mending.
-x hp/turn ? Affect self What should be the value of x
LIE = Love Is Eternal.

godOfKings

Post by godOfKings »

I guess x can b 15 hp, so lasts about 10 turns?
There is no place for false kings here, only those who proves themselves to b the true kings of legend, or serves under me

For I watch over this world looking for those worthy to become kings, and on the way get rid of the fakes and rule over the fools
Morningwarrior

Post by Morningwarrior »

will you have any requirement to be made, because with these 12 ranges it is well, let's say a lot of overpower against siege machines.
I swore to protect and lead a great order that seeks enlightenment, I was chosen by the great star and I will pour out his fury against anyone who declares himself an enemy!
Morningwarrior

Post by Morningwarrior »

Oh he have cooldown so this make the things more balanced
Hyuhjhih

Post by Hyuhjhih »

But with even a labourer nearby, it is utterly useless against. Even if it had incremental fire. Atleast it can outrange the castle and trebs.
LIE = Love Is Eternal.

APOKALIPTRIX

Post by APOKALIPTRIX »

Maybe with two fire effects per atack?
Hyuhjhih

Post by Hyuhjhih »

Its a scorching beam of concentrated heat, so i would suggest an incrementing,(like 1 on att, if left un treated, 2,3,4,5 and goes on) fire.
LIE = Love Is Eternal.

Endru1241

Post by Endru1241 »

Regular incrementing damage is impossible, because applied effect doesn't store much info and doesn't have empty field for that.
We could experiment with place effect - main effect repetitive applies effect affect which applies repetetive effect (weaker burning).

As for making it all in one effect - I am not sure how hard it would be to implement, but it would need code changes.
Let's not bother stratego with that, as he's busy enough with unity.

But, overall - is it needed? Won't regular burning effect be enough if we just make it usable every turn? Burn stacks, so it would make burnables want to avoid it's range.
2x2 structure with 1 action, applying burn on 1 target within very large range (10 would be enough) should be balanced. To make it somehow work against others we can make blindness be -attack, -sight debuff castable in long range too (maybe little closer than main attack, like 6 or 7).
I only wonder if making it be built in 1 or 2 turn longer, but without degradation wouldn't be better.
Age of Strategy design leader
Hyuhjhih

Post by Hyuhjhih »

🤔 mmm.. so no access to config and no exception in coding. Seems reasonable. So let us just ensure stratego is comfortable with his work.

What we can do now to maintain this property is customization. Like, i hope you can add -mending effect, and alter the fire damage per turn. So it would get slightly powerful to compensate the limits.
Endru1241 wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:24 am is it needed? Won't regular burning effect be enough if we just make it usable every turn?
Why I am emphasizing it is the reason, since it conceptually would be a fortified tower, and it can't(since additional fire damage for fortified buildings is removed) take a huge fire damage from a single cretan archer but huge impact from infantry (like a samurai can take it down fast) ,atleast when it is stranded without menders, and it is provided with considerably less hp it would become a waste of turn.
Endru1241 wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:24 am if making it be built in 1 or 2 turn longer, but without degradation wouldn't be better.
Maybe, but sticking to the concept, degradation is better(as with its far range it often survive from infantry by they being swept before approaching) ,and i hope it is applicable by you without pain. Maybe we can increase the build cost for sure and getting it a little bit mediocre range ie, 10 is good also but a bit more hp.

New stats

Hp 180
Att 2(can target buildings and burnables only)
Range 10
Arm 2/6
Constr bonus 50%(12 turns in normal/9 turns with ambidextria)
Mend bonus 0%
Heal rate 6
Carry capacity 3
2x2

Ability

Archimedes death ray
Set target on scorching fire. -8,-160(mega)hp/turn -30% mendbonus. Std.fire bonus
Cd 3, last 6 range 10

Passive effect

Blindness aura
Even the brightness of the sun is hard to look directly. So how about a tower glowing even brighter. I bet you don't want to test it.
LIE = Love Is Eternal.

godOfKings

Post by godOfKings »

i do slightly agree with endru that for the sake of gameplay, sometimes it is ok to take realism with a pinch of salt ;) it has such high hp and costs same as ballista and cannon tower but same as fortress just only effecting burnables with atk, i think i would rather want the blindness applied only on enemies because in the game, it will always b the allies near the tower most of the time and not the enemies so its more disadvantageous to make it then advantageous... i think it can have same hp as ballista tower without dregradation and blindness b a spell that works on enemies only like endru said

may b it can have 2 actions so applies 2 stacks of burning, still lower than castle 3 stacks, but it outranges castle and thats the advantage, it will b long ranged weak spell caster tower for aos :)

Hyuhjhih

Post by Hyuhjhih »

godOfKings wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:20 am i do slightly agree with endru that for the sake of gameplay, sometimes it is ok to take realism with a pinch of salt ;) it has such high hp and costs same as ballista and cannon tower but same as fortress just only effecting burnables with atk, i think i would rather want the blindness applied only on enemies because in the game, it will always b the allies near the tower most of the time and not the enemies so its more disadvantageous to make it then advantageous... i think it can have same hp as ballista tower without dregradation and blindness b a spell that works on enemies only like endru said

may b it can have 2 actions so applies 2 stacks of burning, still lower than castle 3 stacks, but it outranges castle and thats the advantage, it will b long ranged weak spell caster tower for aos :)
🥂 "FOR THE SAKE OF GAME PLAY, YEAH". Finalizing ....

But, wait...with nearly the same cost as fort@340hp,3act(each with fire) and 6att, +a cannon shot worth 20hp, and 4x armours, 10 heal, 4 capacity. And the only difference is 5 cost in addition? 🤯😬

Is this a partiality towards Archimedes. He sure would have bought that bundle Instead of humongous mirrors.

Comparing ballista towers they have immense damage in hand for the pesky creeping footmen. And can have repaired on a jiffy. On other hand fortress, with the nearby cost, it is less majestic, as it is fragile,lack strength but with fire, it can tease away the woodworks. #after all it don't worth the "Mrs.Fort" title anymore IMO(If you didn't get what i meant, its like actor and act"ress"😉
LIE = Love Is Eternal.

L4cus

Post by L4cus »

this is the mirror tower of age of mythology (from the same developers of age of empires)
Extra ecclesiam nulla salus...
AOD, a new variant...
viewforum.php?f=230
Hyuhjhih

Post by Hyuhjhih »

But the original history was from a big Fortress not a simple tower. So i think changing the image won't be necessary
LIE = Love Is Eternal.

L4cus

Post by L4cus »

then we could have hellenic fortress and an upgrade with this machine as an ability
similar to castle and high castle (i am not sure thats the name)
AOD, a new variant...
viewforum.php?f=230
L4cus

Post by L4cus »

this is the fortress from age of mythology, just put some mirror on it
AOD, a new variant...
viewforum.php?f=230
L4cus

Post by L4cus »

Hyuhjhih wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:43 pm But the original history was from a big Fortress not a simple tower. So i think changing the image won't be necessary
the sprite does look like a tone of mushrooms, i dont think thats accuarate, the sprite doesnt look like this image u are sharing now
AOD, a new variant...
viewforum.php?f=230
godOfKings

Post by godOfKings »

a hellenic mega castle with this tower is also a cool idea

L4cus

Post by L4cus »

i know....its my idea after all (just joking)
AOD, a new variant...
viewforum.php?f=230

Return to “Structures”