Variable starting units (water or ground units)

Suggestions about the gameplay, the controls, buttons and so on.
Dagravian

Variable starting units (water or ground units)

Post by Dagravian »

Hey @Stratego (dev) Is it possible to replace the starting units of the TC depending on what the tile it does spawn?

I was wondering the usefullness of scout calvary on some maps... For example, You can't make use of scout calvary on Naval maps, there is no terrain for it to explore, just water... And in case your starting TC's are blocked by water, you would need to spend some turns with bridges or transport ship just to capture them instead of factories like your foes...

So i was thinking if we could replace the starting units of a TC that spawned near water or on a bridge tile with some transport ship or some new scouting ship...

And we could apply that for the other terrains aswell, but that would be up to you guys...
Stay Awesome!
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Re: Variable starting units.

Post by Stratego (dev) »

until we ha ve a proper logic for TC spawning tha "recognises" that you need a "water - adjacent" Tc for that map (to have same chance in game) until that we can not do this.
Dagravian

Post by Dagravian »

I see, btw did you mean to make something for that from scratch? Wouldn't this be a logic similar to the one used to say that "water-adjacent" factories/builders can make bridges or ships on water?

But instead of the "can do" on specific terrain, it would be "can have", right?
Stay Awesome!
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

sorry i am not sure i undestand what u mean :)
maybe give me examples
Dagravian

Post by Dagravian »

I mean the logic used on the own TC for example, if it is surrounded by terrain, you will not be able to produce ships, but if the TC is near water, you can. Or the siege workshop, if you have it near water, you are able to produce some ships from it. While naval options are hidden when you are not near water... So I think that logic could be used as reference for this.

Where if your starting TC spawn near water, the starting units are replaced with something more adequated.
Stay Awesome!
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

I mean the logic used on the own TC for example, if it is surrounded by terrain, you will not be able to produce ships, but if the TC is near water, you can. Or the siege workshop, if you have it near water, you are able to produce some ships from it. While naval options are hidden when you are not near water... So I think that logic could be used as reference for this.
sure, there is a logic for that.
Where if your starting TC spawn near water, the starting units are replaced with something more adequated.
not really, i think you wil not be happy having 2 naval units spawned on start on a water lake size of 1x1 tile. So my point is the TC spawn logic do not know
a) if the map is an ocean like map
b) if that given water is connected to another land that you will want to occupy first (and moreover: it worth going there on water not on ground (eg. avoidin small lakes problem))
beause on above cases the TC-s themselves (at least a few) should be spawned by water. (actually this would be needed for AI too as they are not building shipyard, so without shoresideTCs they are locked in their islands.
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

maybe if you can help me with a list of maps where TC-s ahould be spawned this way (making a shoreside TC) than i could set some flags on them that this map is such.

sadly there can be hybrid maps that must not be set this way where half map is a "naval map" the other half is a totally ground.

best if we could set on every map that which spawning area is which kind so
TL - topleft
TR - topright
BL - bottom left
BR - bottom right
TC - top center
BC - bottom center

so on every random map (where TCs are not pre-placed) if you could tell me string like this (eg: "TL,BR,TC" meaning these spawn areas need water adjacent TC) than i could make it
would be beneficial for AI
also for this alternative spawning thing.

Return to “Gameplay & UI”