Unit specific games

Suggestions about the gameplay, the controls, buttons and so on.
GBP

Unit specific games

Post by GBP »

Hello.
English isn't my first language, so bear with me
I used to play this game years ago, back when you could build with workers in wagons and there weren't even upgrades for knights.

I loved how the game has progressed and the complexity of it. However, I see that only a few units are actually used in multi-player games. For example, much of the games I've played have been determined by who can build faster catapults and castles for trebuchets. And most units like Templars or samurais aren't used because the 2nd upgrade to the knight is just better for the turn price.
Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I feel games could be made really complex if you could somehow limit the upgraded units available.

Say, a game where you can't use calvary, or a game where only priests, mercenaries and archers could be build, or a game without castles, or a game without workers, or a game where you can't build catapults. That would make every game truly unique as you'd need to change strategies as the units you can use change.

One way I imagine it is that when creating the game, the game maker can ban certain units from the list (I see that there is already a built in unit list, so with a little bit of tweaks it could be made into a selection list instead of a display list)
Another way that could also work is a limited gem game. Say, create a game where the upgrades you use can't add up to more that 50 or 100 gems. So each player has to chose which of the upgrades they have already acquired they can use. Meaning you could get a player that has all the tower upgrades, but not the upgraded archers; or a player that decided to spend all of their points on siege units, and doesn't have enough gems to get the blacksmith upgrades.

I'd like to hear what you think!
AgentA

Re: Unit specific games

Post by AgentA »

This feature will be helpful for new players. It can be a new game mode called Draft Pick where you can pick units, techs, and buildings that will be allowed to use in the match. I think this will be fun. Imagine playing a war of the peasants, ninja war, etc.
SirPat

Post by SirPat »

The Idea sounds so good :)
A new gamemode called Draftpick
That sounds good and also the banning system imagine a fame where siege is not allowed :lol: with these gamemodes we can give more Diverse gameplay to players and all sorts of battles imagine a game where you cant train workers only the workers at the start will be building :lol: or a game where only Roman Units allowed
I believe that this banning and draft pick game modes will make a way so that we wouldnt even need Races or Countries in game as a diff game mode we can just add an option on draft pick a category of units to use for example I chose Nordic categorized units so all nordic units can be allowed and maybe also add like this guy can only train these and i can only train this units amd it gives banning and Draft pick mode diff from each other because banning game mode just bans a select group of upgrades that cant be trained in game while draft pick is a select group of units that can be trained and can be different from each player like this guys uses pheasants and I use Polearm wielders

-SirPat :lol:
I am Pat :>

I barely visit the forums, but when I do and u saw me reading your post. Expect a whole paragraph to be released about your topic. well except if I like your idea and the idea is perfect as it is, if so ill give u my support
phoenixffyrnig

Post by phoenixffyrnig »

GBP - firstly, your English is great.
Second, your idea is great too :)

It had actually crossed my mind too. I was wondering if it is possible to set it up so the game creator can hit a "customise" button that brings up a menu of techs, buildings and units that could be disabled. Obviously any other players should be able to also see this information before they join, and there should probably be a bold "CUSTOMISED" clearly visible in game join menu so people won't join by mistake thinking it's a normal game.

Following on from that, would also be highly cool if we could customise start units (obviously the same for every player even if it's a unit they don't have - many campaign maps let you play with upgrades you don't have - should be possible). eg Worker, Spy, Foot knight, Catapult or Treb, Cavalier, Ram, Longbowman.

Definitely, a bit of variation would be brilliant
I also play an RTS game called Life 8-)
And I also like drinking beer! :D
Squirrel5555

Post by Squirrel5555 »

There is another possibility, one which expands upon this idea and makes it more fluid. One I think Endru likes.

NATIONS/CULTURES!

The ultimate balance feature, where some nations will completely lack certain unit trees or archetypes(such as religious or mercenary) but have buffs for other unit trees.
For example a nation not known for its cavalry can build knights, but cant research techs to upgrade them, or only up to heavy knight. They might be known for their archers however, and have an extra tech for them, or a unique unit.

I hope this is one day implemented ;)
AOD Team - Join Us!
SirPat

Post by SirPat »

Are only problem about Nations is that we dont have that much Nation Specific units like what do we got? Celtic, Primitive, roman, japanese, steppe, nordic, European(as of now only castles) and we still need to add alot of nation specific buildings too to make each nation diff from each other so for me Banning and Draft pick game mode Sounds great cause its fully customizable and we wouldnt need to add work for more imgs stats and stuff. For me we can add nations when there is enough content and 'Nation specific Units'.

So @GBP Great Idea and also I feel like Banning is so diff from Draft pick so its better if its seperate Game modes
One is for banning upgrades and one is for just choosing allowed units

{Classic Gamemode}
with option for Banning [Yes] or [No] when yes a button for ban list will be underneath it then it will open up a window just like the unit list where in the units you click will have a Ban icon; that circle with a line

{Draft pick Gamemode}
There will be a button for the gem limit or no gem limit and the option will be called Upgrade limits.
The options are No limit, 50 Gems, 100 Gems, 150 Gems
There will be a button called Allowed Upgrades
With two options For everyone or For each player
When its set to everyone there will be a button for Allowed Upgrades underneath it
When its set to For each player there will be buttons underneath the player slots saying Allowed Upgrades
I am Pat :>

I barely visit the forums, but when I do and u saw me reading your post. Expect a whole paragraph to be released about your topic. well except if I like your idea and the idea is perfect as it is, if so ill give u my support

Return to “Gameplay & UI”