Showing Waypoint target location

Suggestions about the gameplay, the controls, buttons and so on.
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Showing Waypoint target location

Post by Stratego (dev) »

I play on a big map and was frustrated not knowing which unit goes to what direction.

so i thought when you select a single unit to show the waypoint location by a strainght (blue) line (from the selected unit to the target location, line lasts for 3 seconds).

what do u think of the idea?
warlock

Re: Showing Waypoint target location

Post by warlock »

Yes please.
Sombrar +1

Post by Sombrar +1 »

I also think it's good, it's complicated when the game is already well advanced, especially on larger maps, as it's hard to remember where all the markers go.
warlock

Post by warlock »

Have further related thoughts on rally to leader tupe function. Will articulate point by point when have time tomorrow.
warlock

Post by warlock »

Nevermind, I have posted on the AoS discord server.
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

please post here on forum ifyou want me to put in anything, i am not following discord to see everything. (i also checked on discord now and could not find your text)
b2198

Post by b2198 »

Well... I don't use waypoints at all :sweat_smile:... but this also seems like a good idea for me.
Green is the correct color, other colors are "less correct".
makazuwr32

Post by makazuwr32 »

b2198 wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 3:38 am Well... I don't use waypoints at all :sweat_smile:...
Same here. I do not use waypoints and instead i prefer to manually move every unit.
makazuwr32 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:54 amWhen you ask to change something argument why...
Put some numbers, compare to what other races have and so on...
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

not using waypoints sounds unbelieveably painful to me, especially in end game - but ok :)
(i literally use on every factory when i need to transfer produced units from a far TC to a warzone)
makazuwr32

Post by makazuwr32 »

Stratego (dev) wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:21 am not using waypoints sounds unbelieveably painful to me, especially in end game - but ok :)
(i literally use on every factory when i need to transfer produced units from a far TC to a warzone)
I just move factories closer to warzone.
makazuwr32 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:54 amWhen you ask to change something argument why...
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

makazuwr32 wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:49 am
Stratego (dev) wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:21 am not using waypoints sounds unbelieveably painful to me, especially in end game - but ok :)
I just move factories closer to warzone.
yes, but TC-s can not be moved - i wrote about TC-s.
b2198

Post by b2198 »

I use roads, wagons, rams and posthouses, to optimize a bit the speed at which they get there... and yeah, it gets a bit painful to do with huge amounts of units... but I find it fun anyway XD

Usually when I have turns of more than 130 units or so I tend to split my playing sessions for that match in 2 or 3, so that I don't need to move all those units in a single session.
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

and what about cases where you already see you won but opponent does not resign?
that case i only manage frontline units and ALL other units and factories uses only waypoints.

and i am in this situation in many many games, so i can say i always use them in winning games, on the other hand on a levelled or a losing game every little can count, so yes there i use them rarely.
makazuwr32

Post by makazuwr32 »

I remember one match in which i was loosing badly and my opponent began using waypoints and that is exactly what i used for comeback and to win the match in the end.

Since waypointed enemies move on their own, use abilities randomly, shopt randomly then if i perfectly calculate their possible movement and prepare in advance for it i would be able to kill his supplies which are attacking my frontlines and after kill his frontlines.
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

that player was not paying attention - this should be an exceptional case, and the example is not degrading the "waypoint" usage itself but the player.
b2198

Post by b2198 »

Stratego (dev) wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:41 am and what about cases where you already see you won but opponent does not resign?
that case i only manage frontline units and ALL other units and factories uses only waypoints.

and i am in this situation in many many games, so i can say i always use them in winning games, on the other hand on a levelled or a losing game every little can count, so yes there i use them rarely.
Yeah, that's a valid case where I should've been using them, but never thought about it. Usually when a big match is a few turns from ending (and I'm winning) I stop moving a lot of units far from the frontlines, like builders and such, and only move like 3 or 4 times the amount I'd need to ensure victory.
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

also funny but i use waypoint to make myself "reminders" between turns (as those can be days between)
so if i feel i might forget that i wanted to build something here and there, i chose a worker and set waypoint to that to remind me that is ment to go there. same for other cases where i feel there are multiple alternatives where to go - so i remember which i selected.

Return to “Gameplay & UI”