8 players, factions and AI.

Suggestions about the gameplay, the controls, buttons and so on.
AzorTuga

8 players, factions and AI.

Post by AzorTuga »

Hi :)

Probably this was discussed here already but I couldn't find:

A) Can we have more than 6 players? Like 8?

B) Can we have factions as team options to play? I mean, setting teams as Norse, Slavic, Asian, Roman, etc. And then the team only has the faction units to build, besides barracks, archery, stable, church, workshop and shipyard. I suggest this because there are so many specific buildings and units now, that it would be interesting to play as one faction against another faction.

C) Can we have the AI to build castles, walls, better towers? The AI is too easy.

D) Can we have the player badges next to the username when they join an online game?

Thank you for the game.
b2198

Re: 8 players, factions and AI.

Post by b2198 »

A) I don't know if that would work well. It'd be nice to have the option for that, for when you create a game with people that you know play regularly, but for random matches it might be too much, since there's a sizeable amount of people that enter games and never play their turn again (if ever). Not sure what the right call would be for this one. Plus the current TC generation doesn't support 8 players, and the one I'm working on will still take a while to get in a decent enough state to be able to handle that.

B) There are already plans for adding cultures in the game and letting players choose between them, but that will likely only come after the Unity version is released. (and imho the game is better without it)

C) That's hard to do and takes a lot of time. Probably another one that will only come after Unity version is released.

D) Maybe it could be nice... but since it's an interface change, most likely only in Unity version.
Green is the correct color, other colors are "less correct".
AzorTuga

Post by AzorTuga »

Alright, thanks for answering.

I've been away for a while... what is the Unity version?
b2198

Post by b2198 »

It's a rewrite of the Ao-games engine made in Unity, to allow way easier changes to the interface and better networking. Stratego has been working on it for some time now, and it already has a lot of features, but it's still far from having all the features that are currently in the game, which is required for switching entirely to it.
AzorTuga

Post by AzorTuga »

Oh that's cool, that's cool. Will this change the square game play? I wonder how this game could be in hexes, would be more dynamic.
b2198

Post by b2198 »

Would also require a complete rework of everything in the game, so I wouldn't count on it. This is "just" a port of the engine, without changing how the game works, but making those changes much easier to do afterwards.
AzorTuga

Post by AzorTuga »

Alright, obrigado b2198 :B)
makazuwr32

Post by makazuwr32 »

One extra point of unity version is that it will allow for the game to be installed on pcs as well.
makazuwr32 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:54 amWhen you ask to change something argument why...
Put some numbers, compare to what other races have and so on...
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

B) There are already plans for adding cultures in the game and letting players choose between them, but that will likely only come after the Unity version is released. (and imho the game is better without it)
actually cultures can come before unity version - cultures have no "dependancy" to any java-code.
b2198

Post by b2198 »

Stratego (dev) wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 5:56 am
actually cultures can come before unity version - cultures have no "dependancy" to any java-code.
I thought they needed because of the UI changes discussed in their topic. Did I misunderstand it?
makazuwr32

Post by makazuwr32 »

I think it is related to cultures development itself — they still require lots of stuff to work on before actual cultures implementation.
makazuwr32 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:54 amWhen you ask to change something argument why...
Put some numbers, compare to what other races have and so on...
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

yes but not related to unity version.
AzorTuga

Post by AzorTuga »

About the badges, if possible, would be nice to put them next to username when in the online game but also next to the usernames in the general chat box. So many times, players talk about the game, some with tips, some with doubts, some with non sense, and I think it would be useful to know if the player is experienced or not, especially to new comers.

Another suggestion, add page number to the upgrades pages. It would not only facilitate the player to navigate and more easily see where he's at, but also, when players give tips to each other, for example, "Where is the laborer?", "Where is the corsair?", etc., it would be much easier to communicate - page 6, 3rd column, 4th unit. :)

Return to “Gameplay & UI”