Add in a Production Stopped warning icon

Suggestions about the gameplay, the controls, buttons and so on.
phoenixffyrnig

Add in a Production Stopped warning icon

Post by phoenixffyrnig »

It's easy to carelessly leave too many units in a factory at the end of a turn, halting production. It does say "production stopped" inside the factory menu, but it would be useful if there was visual warning on the factory itself to draw our attention to this - something similar to the "no production" exclamation mark that shows up, perhaps even the same icon with a line crossing it out to keep things simple.
I also play an RTS game called Life 8-)
And I also like drinking beer! :D
b2198

Re: Add in a Production Stopped warning icon

Post by b2198 »

I like this idea a lot, I often end up paranoically checking every factory that has units inside it at the end of each turn just to be sure I'm not blocking any of their productions.
Green is the correct color, other colors are "less correct".
Endru1241

Post by Endru1241 »

Awesome idea.

Potential indicator:
Attachments
indicator_stopped_factory.png
indicator_stopped_factory.png (693 Bytes) Viewed 610 times
Age of Strategy design leader
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

i think there is a textual warning on next turn already - istn it?
b2198

Post by b2198 »

Stratego (dev) wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:40 am i think there is a textual warning on next turn already - istn it?
Just checked, and it doesn't warn if the factory is full, only if no production is set.
Green is the correct color, other colors are "less correct".
Endru1241

Post by Endru1241 »

Stratego (dev) wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:40 am i think there is a textual warning on next turn already - istn it?
There is, but you have to select the factory.

Idea here is to show indicator even if it's not selected, just like indicator for no production set.
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

i would rather put a warning message on next turn button (as there are already a few warnings) - many cases that might be intentional to overfill a factory / TC might be bothering a sign on it.
istn that good?
Endru1241

Post by Endru1241 »

Stratego (dev) wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:01 am i would rather put a warning message on next turn button (as there are already a few warnings) - many cases that might be intentional to overfill a factory / TC might be bothering a sign on it.
istn that good?
A message wouldn't show which factory is full.
And even if player planned one to be full (e.g. it was advantageous against enemies to keep TC full) he wouldn't know if another one wasn't left like that unintentionally.
So when player gets a message - it's back to going through all factories to find the ones full.
I tried to make icon slightly smaller than empty factory to bother a little less, but it can be further decreased in size if required.
makazuwr32

Post by makazuwr32 »

Endru1241 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:15 am
Stratego (dev) wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:01 am i would rather put a warning message on next turn button (as there are already a few warnings) - many cases that might be intentional to overfill a factory / TC might be bothering a sign on it.
istn that good?
A message wouldn't show which factory is full.
And even if player planned one to be full (e.g. it was advantageous against enemies to keep TC full) he wouldn't know if another one wasn't left like that unintentionally.
So when player gets a message - it's back to going through all factories to find the ones full.
I tried to make icon slightly smaller than empty factory to bother a little less, but it can be further decreased in size if required.
This.

And another point:
When you are playing on extremly big maps with tons of production sometimes you simply can miss few factories or tcs to take out production from it, especially if there is time limit to take your turn.

Indicators which will automatically pop up when production building is full will be better.
makazuwr32 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:54 amWhen you ask to change something argument why...
Put some numbers, compare to what other races have and so on...
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader

Return to “Gameplay & UI”