More choice for Population Limit.

Suggestions about the gameplay, the controls, buttons and so on.
phoenixffyrnig

More choice for Population Limit.

Post by phoenixffyrnig »

I like how this can affect game play, the max head count can sometimes be an extra, unseen enemy on the field of battle. As things stand though, our choices (50, 100, 200, 800) are pretty much equivalent to tiny, small, medium and HUGE. Something between 200 and 800 would be good, I feel.

200 will probably be reached (or very nearly) towards the end of 35x35 or bigger. The next level, 800, is essentially unlimited in reality. If it is easy to do, I would suggest an option of 250, 300 and 400. This would allow for bigger maps the possibility of a population cap that, whilst being practical, could also be limiting and requiring end-game management.
I also play an RTS game called Life 8-)
And I also like drinking beer! :D
b2198

Re: More choice for Population Limit.

Post by b2198 »

I second this idea, the maximum amount of units I was able to get was somewhere around the 440s, but that was in a 75x75 4 player map, and ultimately I resigned (with some problems, but that was solved) because I couldn't keep spending almost 1h on every turn in a relatively active match. I feel like reaching 200 units is relatively common when you are at a stalemate or winning in a 2 player 35x35 or bigger map.

As unit counts increases, it get harder and harder to increase it even further in a non-linear way, due to the fact that more units can (in most cases) kill more enemies per turn, so I feel like at least these limits of 250 and 300 would be game-changing for maps in the 40x40 to 50x50 range, not making the units realistically unlimited, like the 800 limit, but also not restricting unit amount too much, like the 200 limit.

Edit: better wording, probably
Green is the correct color, other colors are "less correct".

Return to “Gameplay & UI”