Crazy idea: Real time battles

Suggestions about the gameplay, the controls, buttons and so on.
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Crazy idea: Real time battles

Post by Stratego (dev) »

(Post Unity version)

I just imagined a possibility to make realtime multiplayer battles.
Where unit turncost goes to about 1 minute per turncost.
movement is translated to speed

and what else would be needed?
L4cus

Re: Crazy idea: Real time battles

Post by L4cus »

wait s this real? i though someone posted about this crazy idea and u rejected him...
well, the basis of all rts is timing...do projectiles have speed? like age of empires 2, or they just hit the target inmediatly? like age of empires 3
if projectiles have speed then there is a missing chance depending on the opponent who can avoid the attack. if there is no speed for projectiles then evading is imposible...
Extra ecclesiam nulla salus...
AOD, a new variant...
viewforum.php?f=230
L4cus

Post by L4cus »

oh i think 1 minute per turn sounds like too much, at least for me...i would preffer it as 30 seconds prt turn
how would building work?
Extra ecclesiam nulla salus...
AOD, a new variant...
viewforum.php?f=230
Endru1241

Post by Endru1241 »

Stratego (dev) wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:41 pm (Post Unity version)

But, like changing the entire game concept or just as an option?
If as an option - as just some ticking the checkbox or entirely separate button?
Age of Strategy design leader
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

just as option in multiplayer - to play it realtime.
Endru1241

Post by Endru1241 »

Miss chance would probably need to be represented by flight time.

Damage, I guess should become damage per minute (or whatever time is selected as a turn).
Some specs related to damage would need to represented somehow - e.g. first strike, full counter.

Movement uses action needs resolution too.

What about more that one action units?

Abilities with system special environmental, summons and teleports would probably be disadvantageous to use (more time wasted).
Age of Strategy design leader
Foxious

Post by Foxious »

How would the unit production work?

Also just a thought... I'll wait for a few turns for the opponent to make several moves, while I stack up turns... then once they get close I send in my Highlander+herbalist/bard and literally destroy them and take the highlander to safety for the next counter, this time much stronger.
Or, Convert as many enemy as possible.

there's also another issue to have in mind...
Army size... while one opponent has like 200 units and the other has just 50, it doesn't really matter that much, unless the army size also become a factor to taking turns.

Let's say something like this:
[ Unit cost * 0.5 + 10 ] per 10 minutes
so if one player has ten units, costing 30 it will be [30 * 0.5] +10 = 25 unit-Turns per 10 minutes. 5 turns every 2 minutes
The other player with 60 Unit-cost will have [60*0.5]+10 = 40 Turns per 10 minutes, 8 moves every 2 minutes.

There also needs to be a limitation on how many turns a unit can take before the enemy makes any move.
godOfKings

Post by godOfKings »

Well real time means both u and enemy is attacking each other at the same time, there will b no counter attacks, 2 same units fighting will have only 2 outcomes, either one unit survives with low health, or both unit dies together
There is no place for false kings here, only those who proves themselves to b the true kings of legend, or serves under me

For I watch over this world looking for those worthy to become kings, and on the way get rid of the fakes and rule over the fools
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

Foxious wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:42 pm

How would the unit production work?

Also just a thought... I'll wait for a few turns for the opponent to make several moves, while I stack up turns... then once they get close I send in my Highlander+herbalist/bard and literally destroy them and take the highlander to safety for the next counter, this time much stronger.
Or, Convert as many enemy as possible.

there's also another issue to have in mind...
Army size... while one opponent has like 200 units and the other has just 50, it doesn't really matter that much, unless the army size also become a factor to taking turns.

Let's say something like this:
[ Unit cost * 0.5 + 10 ] per 10 minutes
so if one player has ten units, costing 30 it will be [30 * 0.5] +10 = 25 unit-Turns per 10 minutes. 5 turns every 2 minutes
The other player with 60 Unit-cost will have [60*0.5]+10 = 40 Turns per 10 minutes, 8 moves every 2 minutes.

There also needs to be a limitation on how many turns a unit can take before the enemy makes any move.
there would be no turns, so you can not wait a few "turns". you can wait a few minutes if you mean that.
- what u mean production? i wrote this about that: "unit turncost goes to about 1 minute per turncost"
- the highlander example i did not understood - you can do this now in turn based mode too.
- army size: i dont understa this one either, how army size count in either turn based or in realtime mode?
I think you saying some different concept, realtime means for me:
1. there are no turns.
2. if a unit costed 2 turns it will be trained in about eg. 20 seconds. (so eg. 1 turn = 10 second)
if nother unit costed 6 turns it will be trained in 60 seconds.
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

godOfKings wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:27 am Well real time means both u and enemy is attacking each other at the same time, there will b no counter attacks, 2 same units fighting will have only 2 outcomes, either one unit survives with low health, or both unit dies together
counterattack: good point: however we can make it work if it is important for balance, like
a) the unit counterattack is applied on each received attack (eg. when enemy hits me he gets damaged too, and vica versa)
b) OR if that is confusing it can be applied to normal attack - but that is not so clear how.
b2198

Post by b2198 »

Alternatively, what about having turn based battles that are played in real time, instead of over some days/weeks/months?

Something like both players joining the match, and they play their turns without leaving the game and have a total time to play their turns, kinda like in chess, so that the longer the game takes, the less time players would have to think and calculate their movements. It would also allow for easier content creation with the game (making videos of a match played in real time is way easier than of a match played over the course of some days or weeks, and the single player part of the game mostly plays like this, but without the time limit, and it would also bring more players that come from other TBS games, like Advance Wars, or Fire Emblem.

I feel like it would be a lot of work to do something like this, but I'm just leaving the idea here.
Green is the correct color, other colors are "less correct".
makazuwr32

Post by makazuwr32 »

b2198 wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:05 am Alternatively, what about having turn based battles that are played in real time, instead of over some days/weeks/months?

Something like both players joining the match, and they play their turns without leaving the game and have a total time to play their turns, kinda like in chess, so that the longer the game takes, the less time players would have to think and calculate their movements. It would also allow for easier content creation with the game (making videos of a match played in real time is way easier than of a match played over the course of some days or weeks, and the single player part of the game mostly plays like this, but without the time limit, and it would also bring more players that come from other TBS games, like Advance Wars, or Fire Emblem.

I feel like it would be a lot of work to do something like this, but I'm just leaving the idea here.
But it is possible — play online and do not exit from match when you end your turn.
Ofc second and other players also must be online as well for that.
makazuwr32 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:54 amWhen you ask to change something argument why...
Put some numbers, compare to what other races have and so on...
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

makazuwr32 wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:30 am
b2198 wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:05 am Alternatively, what about having turn based battles that are played in real time, instead of over some days/weeks/months?

But it is possible — play online and do not exit from match when you end your turn.
Ofc second and other players also must be online as well for that.

it existst in AOF and AOW but have flaws that is why it is not turned on in AOS and other variants.
b2198

Post by b2198 »

Oh, really? Didn't know that, never played multiplayer in AoF. Which flaws?
Green is the correct color, other colors are "less correct".

Return to “Gameplay & UI”