New tech - Spyglass IMPLEMENTED

phoenixffyrnig

New tech - Spyglass IMPLEMENTED

Post by phoenixffyrnig »

A tech to increase LoS of light horse and spies by +2
OR
Gives light horse and spies an action like a smaller Reveal Spot on the edge of their field of vision.
(I would prefer the second one but don't know how possible it is).

Research-able in advancement centre
Cost - 4 turns

Reasons for this is to avoid that tedious situation where we have to sacrifice units for scouting purposes when attacking a well defended point. Currently, anything close enough to see towers or castles to let our trebs lock on to them will get shredded by the next turn, so we then need to send another poor bogger next turn to have one last look at the enemy before dying, and so on so on.

The situation becomes especially difficult on those maps with very little usable terrain when all forces are concentrated. Given that the range of sight of spies and light horse is 3 less than the range of attack of the major defences (with Ballistraria), and that trebs are the only real way to trouble decent defences in mid to late game (any other siege is out ranged and killed before use) this gives the advantage too strongly to the defender, which I accept is congruent with reality, but is not ideal for a game (I feel).
I also play an RTS game called Life 8-)
And I also like drinking beer! :D
Badnorth

Re: New tech - Spyglass

Post by Badnorth »

I like both. This is a very good addition to scout units.
For newcomers, click here for discord links. Hopefully they aren't expired.
Endru1241

Post by Endru1241 »

Actually I wanted to add a tech giving +1 sight to all flesh and blood ground units (and one separate giving +1 for ships).
But it's really good idea to make another one just for scouts.

As for special action - it is possible now, but I wonder if light cavalry should benefit from something like that.
It could be made for spies and assasins though (or maybe it deserves another unit?).
Age of Strategy design leader
phoenixffyrnig

Post by phoenixffyrnig »

Yeah, the original idea had just spies in mind, I was undecided whether or not to include light horse, but I'd be happy with any improvement to scouting atm, I'm getting traumatised by all those dead dogs! :?
phoenixffyrnig

Post by phoenixffyrnig »

Really do need a boost to scouting. It is so easy to counter scouting so that whenever playing against any proficient multiplayer it is a choice between sending turn after turn of scout units to be insta-killed between turns, or to fight blind. Neither is a sensible choice.
b2198

Post by b2198 »

@Stratego (dev) This one should probably be marked as "IMPLEMENTED"? It got split into 2 techs, Spyglass, that increases vision of scouts by +1 and cartography, that increases vision of [Foot] or [Mounted] units by +1.
Green is the correct color, other colors are "less correct".

Return to “Techs”