Greek Fire

ProtectorLordGarmin

Greek Fire

Post by ProtectorLordGarmin »

Greek Fire was essentially napalm, but ancient.
I propose it as a tech for use on catapults and catapult ships, and also making 2 new units accessible. (if they are added)
It would boost damage slightly, and set fire to structures that were hit.
Leader of the Aegis Protectorate, the proud Defenders of Ambidia! If you would like some heavy protection, we can do some mercenary work... but such elite warriors come with an elite price.
Badnorth

Re: Greek Fire

Post by Badnorth »

I don't use siege machines but I think we already have a tech or something similar to that .
But I disagree with fire damage to catapult(s) since they are already strong itself and has its own upgrades. I think new units added will be fine ( eg. Greek fire siphon ship ).
For newcomers, click here for discord links. Hopefully they aren't expired.
SirPat

Post by SirPat »

There is already a greek fire siphon ship in game
I am Pat :>

I barely visit the forums, but when I do and u saw me reading your post. Expect a whole paragraph to be released about your topic. well except if I like your idea and the idea is perfect as it is, if so ill give u my support
ProtectorLordGarmin

Oh. In that case, that covers everything.
Except for my unit idea: a sort of grenadier (Greek fire could be thrown grenade style in pots)
But if that gets rejected then that's the end of the topic
Leader of the Aegis Protectorate, the proud Defenders of Ambidia! If you would like some heavy protection, we can do some mercenary work... but such elite warriors come with an elite price.
SirPat

Post by SirPat »

grenades and old guns are kinda controversial at this game so I dont know what'll be the response of the others about that

I barely visit the forums, but when I do and u saw me reading your post. Expect a whole paragraph to be released about your topic. well except if I like your idea and the idea is perfect as it is, if so ill give u my support
Badnorth

Post by Badnorth »

ProtectorLordGarmin wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:12 am Oh. In that case, that covers everything.
Except for my unit idea: a sort of grenadier (Greek fire could be thrown grenade style in pots)
greek fire pot thrower would be a cool unit but there's already a raider who set's ablaze buildings by throwing torches .
Badnorth

Post by Badnorth »

ProtectorLordGarmin wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:12 am Oh. In that case, that covers everything.
greek fire pot thrower would be a cool unit but there's already a raider unit who set's ablaze buildings by throwing torches .
Endru1241

Post by Endru1241 »

Balance-wise adding additional 6 damage for 5 turns to each burnable unit hit is out of question.
But as ability, which trades immidate damage for bigger, but spread in time would be fine.
Flavour wise:
Byzantines used greek fire exensively, but in naval warfare, mostly from close range (siphon, throwing).
Shooting from catapult seems viable, but it's unstable material - range would suffer probably.
And definetely greek fire would have to be used separately from stone projectiles or with much lesser amount/weight of them .

So I'd say if it was allowed - it would be ability with range 6-7, power range 1, dealing 60-70 damage spread in 5 turns. As originally fire siphon ship was supposed to have double fire effect and I have an idea how to implement this, maybe greek fire ability for catapults/trebuchets/siege ballista would have similar only differing in range and initial damage (2-5 +200% vs burnable, ignoring armor).

Granades on the other hand are problematic, because realistically - what range could that throw achieve? 2? 3?
It was used from higher ground on practically melee range (from towers, walls, ships).
Age of Strategy design leader
ProtectorLordGarmin

Well if we ever were to do it for catapults maybe it shouldn't upgrade the current one, but instead unlock a new Greek fire catapult to build.

Pot throwers would have maybe 3 range.
Badnorth

Post by Badnorth »

Can a human throw a pot with fire that far ?
phoenixffyrnig

Post by phoenixffyrnig »

ProtectorLordGarmin wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:19 am
Pot throwers would have maybe 3 range.
QuadrupoleStrat wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:30 am Can a human throw a pot with fire that far ?
Can it be any less than that, given that a range of 2 is the length of a pike or a swing of a zweihander.
How did they hurl them, does anybody know? Presumably it wasn't bare-handed...that would hurt!
I also play an RTS game called Life 8-)
And I also like drinking beer! :D
SirPat

Post by SirPat »

Good point. Presumably throwing a pot would reach farther than a pike And there are Axe throwers that can reach farther than that in game so I guess throwing a clay pot wouldnt be as hard to do, maybe about 3 range

Squirrel5555

Post by Squirrel5555 »

I mean some pikes are reaaaaaalllllyyyy long.

I have nothing else to say :)
AOD Team - Join Us!
Endru1241

Post by Endru1241 »

No, just tiles are logarithmic representation of range, for the sake of strategy.
I even have somewhere distances corresponding to tile range idea written.
Age of Strategy design leader
SirPat

Post by SirPat »

i think its at the trebuchets topics, im not sure tho

phoenixffyrnig

Post by phoenixffyrnig »

Endru1241 wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:47 pm No, just tiles are logarithmic representation of range, for the sake of strategy.
I was thinking about that actually. Something like 1 tile is face to face, 2 tiles is a bit further, 3 is even further, 4 is much further and so on...? Kinda like an exponential growth or an x squared line?
I also play an RTS game called Life 8-)
And I also like drinking beer! :D
SirPat

Post by SirPat »

phoenixffyrnig wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:27 am
Endru1241 wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:47 pm No, just tiles are logarithmic representation of range, for the sake of strategy.
I was thinking about that actually. Something like 1 tile is face to face, 2 tiles is a bit further, 3 is even further, 4 is much further and so on...? Kinda like an exponential growth or an x squared line?
yeah i too think its like that

ProtectorLordGarmin

Why would that be, though?
Each tile is the same length.
So, why would it be a logarithmic growth?
Squirrel5555

Post by Squirrel5555 »

ProtectorLordGarmin wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:49 am Why would that be, though?
Each tile is the same length.
So, why would it be a logarithmic growth?
So the game would make more sense, and be easier to give units appropriate range...
Do you really think the range of a ballistae is 2.5 times the length of pike? Or that a catapult's range is one pike further than that?
AOD Team - Join Us!
ProtectorLordGarmin

Idk, I just roll with it.
ProtectorLordGarmin

So, uh, is this tech/unit likely to be implemented or what

Return to “Techs”