Throw Pommel

Puss_in_Boots

Throw Pommel

Post by Puss_in_Boots »

Research 6 turns, gives all swordsman a one time ranged attack that ends foes rightly, or at leasts gets the first hit on them.

Spell range: 2. cooldown: none or infinite. Dmg: 2

Basically this tech is supposed to be research into screwing pommels onto swords so they can be unscrewed later.
OLÉ
Endru1241

Re: Throw Pommel

Post by Endru1241 »

I know it's supposed to add some edge to swordsmen/his upgrades, but the idea is kinda ridiculous.
They could have thrown anything else just as well - a rock from ground for example, without sacrificing weapon balance.
Usable ability also have a shortcoming - it makes units always highlighted after move, as if there was enemy in their range.

Besides - swordsmen represent regular infantry - backbone of an army. They don't necessarily have to have swords. They are just infantry with regular sized close combat weapons and shields, equipment which allows for successful fighting inside buildings, usage of tools to destroy walls (as their regular equipment doesn't weight too much they can get pickaxe or shovel and work around walls) and no complicated parts requiring additional protection.

Balance-wise I would go in another way completely with swordsmen - some sort of formation boost (like legion one) to increase their survivability in group.
Age of Strategy design leader
Puss_in_Boots

Re: Throw Pommel

Post by Puss_in_Boots »

Oh come on, I've been outside, not every rock is suitable for throwing or smashing and if in a desert there would be nothing but sand to throw. Forests, coasts, and mountains most likely, but plains of grass usually have no massful rocks to throw.

Even if there is a shovel or pick in that group of swordsmen, there'd be enough swords to throw pommels.

Also this is not an available in all techs.
The 2 range thing wouldn't be a bother, everyone knows they have 1 static range.
They'd have to research the tech before they get confused.
OLÉ

Return to “Techs”