Polearm Bracing

DoomCarrot
Location: Commanding General's quarters, a tall keep above the mighty city of Carrot's Point

Polearm Bracing

Post by DoomCarrot »

A tech invented at the barracks that gives the entire pikeman troop the ability to brace polearms.

Brace polearm is a special that cannot be used if the unit attacks that turn, but when it is active cavalry take damage when they move adjacent to the pikeman. This would give pikemen a stronger defensive advantage against attacking cavalry.

If it is too OP, we could say that special cannot be used if the pikeman moves OR attacks.

Tech cost could be 6 turns or so.

Discuss
The day is coming when a single carrot, freshly observed, will set off a revolution.
Puss_in_Boots

Re: Polearm Bracing

Post by Puss_in_Boots »

Not many polearm techs or upgrades right now.
Is it first strike or does it damage any units that stand the tile right by them?
OLÉ
DoomCarrot
Location: Commanding General's quarters, a tall keep above the mighty city of Carrot's Point

Post by DoomCarrot »

Any cavalry units that move adjacent to the braced pikeman take immediate damage. So a wounded knight cannot attack a braced pikeman, and a full health hussar would take damage no matter what before being able to kill it
The day is coming when a single carrot, freshly observed, will set off a revolution.
Puss_in_Boots

Post by Puss_in_Boots »

That might sound a little OP.

Is it full damage?

I don't like the idea of a pikeman being able to charge at incoming cavalry to brace for their charge. Should be disabled after movement.
OLÉ
General Brave

Post by General Brave »

Must wait to turn for bracing.
Wise, Might, Loyalty. Forever stands Warfell.
DoomCarrot

Post by DoomCarrot »

I do not think full damage would be a good idea. Maybe 1/2 or 1/4 of damage
DoomCarrot

Post by DoomCarrot »

Also voulgiers should get the special as well. To determine whether a pikeman is bracing, I think it might be best to just make a few new braced images for pikeman, halverdier, and voulgier. But a simple effect symbol above the unit might be a little easier
Last edited by DoomCarrot on Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
General Brave

Post by General Brave »

"On my words. Raise arms and Brace!"
DoomCarrot

Post by DoomCarrot »

Tech image (also possibly the "spell" icon in game):

Yay or nay?
Last edited by DoomCarrot on Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DoomCarrot

Post by DoomCarrot »

Braced pikeman image

DoomCarrot

Post by DoomCarrot »

Not sure what the size of the "active effect" icons are, but here is a 10x10 for the effect shown in corner of unit when it is "braced"

Last edited by DoomCarrot on Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DoomCarrot

Post by DoomCarrot »

braced voulgier:

Last edited by DoomCarrot on Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
General Brave

Post by General Brave »

Yay.
DoomCarrot

Post by DoomCarrot »

And, here is the last image:

DoomCarrot

Post by DoomCarrot »

So, to compile everything:

Tech cost: 6. Can be researched in barracks

What it does: Gives pikemen, halberdiers, and voulgiers the special to "brace." A unit cannot brace if it moves or attacks, and if you use the special, the unit's turn is ended. It takes on the new braced image, and has an effect icon to show it is braced. At the start of your turn, any braced units immediately return to normal.

When a unit is braced, ANY enemy mounted units which move adjacent to the braced unit are immediately wounded for 15 points of normal damage that can be blocked by armor. So a fully upgraded knight would only really receive 10 damage. This applies if the braced unit is in a town center as well, but not in wagons and buildings etc.

Halberdier braced: Image

Pikeman braced: Image

Voulgier braced: Image

Tech image and spell icon: Image

Effect icon for top left corner: Image

What do you guys think?
Puss_in_Boots

Post by Puss_in_Boots »

It's ready, we just have to see what Daniel thinks.
OLÉ
godOfKings

Post by godOfKings »

Great I know the three techs I will b voting for this time
There is no place for false kings here, only those who proves themselves to b the true kings of legend, or serves under me

For I watch over this world looking for those worthy to become kings, and on the way get rid of the fakes and rule over the fools
COOLguy

Post by COOLguy »

The images are gone. :(

Also I am not sure. It sounds a cool idea but it would take time to code so it might have to pend
Thanks!
Josh
godOfKings

Post by godOfKings »

here is an idea how this could work, wen pikeman transforms to bracing stance, it will have 0 speed, and an aura of 1 tile radius around it, like camel fear aura of mamelukes, any mounted units inside this aura gets 15 hp damage every turn , i checked burning effects json, this can work

although i dont know how to automatically transform him back to normal at start of turn... may b there is no other way but to waste an action to transform back again, thus giving the impression that units in bracing formation are slow in reality and cant atk fast (although they can move after transforming), and also with my idea, while bracing it will have 0 speed but 1 action so it can still atk, does u have to decide wether u want to brace and atk, or transform and move every turn

it could have clever strategic uses, like putting pikeman in guard tower and then bracing, so if my spacious chariots tech is implemented, and players send a melee unit in a chariot to atk the guard tower (as chariots have bonus against buildings), the pikeman could deal even more damage to chariot
There is no place for false kings here, only those who proves themselves to b the true kings of legend, or serves under me

For I watch over this world looking for those worthy to become kings, and on the way get rid of the fakes and rule over the fools
HugoTheUseles

Post by HugoTheUseles »

I like the idea but i would change it a bit.
I have been thinking about a simular effect/ability namely the phalanx. It would work simular with just a few changes:
-only affects one selected tile
-unit jas a movement of 1 or 2
-works against cavallary and infantary
-high defence and attack from the front of the phalanx
-very weak from sides and rear
Gral.Sturnn

Post by Gral.Sturnn »

That would be very hard 2 code
~Gral.Sturnn
HugoTheUseles

Post by HugoTheUseles »

Id say add a direction and different stats depending on it
Btw i know nothing about coding and stuff.
makazuwr32

Post by makazuwr32 »

For now there is no "direction" thing in aos.
Even this will require completely new coding.
makazuwr32 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:54 amWhen you ask to change something argument why...
Put some numbers, compare to what other races have and so on...
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
HugoTheUseles

Post by HugoTheUseles »

Then forget i sayd anything

Return to “Techs”