Marksmanship

Aral_Yaren

Marksmanship

Post by Aral_Yaren »

Marksmanship
Factory: archery range
Cost: 4 turn
Effect: ranged pierce unit (both foot and mounted) gain additional LoS (+2 sight)
Desc: refined archers improve their skill to shoot their targets at no miss nor mess
Reason: this imho will solve out-of-sight opps when ranged pierce unit shoot (don't show as targets eventhough inside shooting range in fog due to lack of sight)
There shall be times... when people across the world shall live in peace and harmony through their various diversities. I shall wait for it, even though it costs my life...
phoenixffyrnig

Re: Marksmanship

Post by phoenixffyrnig »

Don't think I like this I'm afraid my friend. The paradox of ranged units not being able to see as far as they can attack is necessary to keep scouting a thing. For me, it's like the whole Schrödinger's armour thing, mêlée and pierce - a bit of artistic license that doesn't really make sense but is essential for the complexity of the game.

I do think scouting in general needs to be buffed a bit, it's too easy to anti-scout, which leads to a lot of sacrificing scout units, and somewhere else I there is another chat about sight, possibly with the intent of making more of a distinction between vision and the ability to see stealth units, not too sure, so there may be other ways around blind archer issue soon.
I also play an RTS game called Life 8-)
And I also like drinking beer! :D
Endru1241

Post by Endru1241 »

There is no paradox anywhere around sight vs range.

A unit (group of army men) doesn't need to see an enemy unit (hostile group of army men) to shoot at it.
But it needs knowledge where to shoot - at least some info about enemy position (e.g. passed from allies or scouts).
Full range of archers shot was not when directly aimed, but rather when arrows were shot in specific angle.

No aiming, unless enemy was already in range, that either retreat or fire at will command would be issued.

No paradox in armor too.
Armor is just a short word used to represent any kind of stable and dependable average damage reduction to a unit.
Either from normal attacks or ones from small projectiles.

But yes - the idea is to have scouting at least some place in game.
Age of Strategy design leader
Morningwarrior

Post by Morningwarrior »

maybe you can see a makeover in this tech, instead of increasing the sight of distance units because it doesn't increase the accuracy of units that have a chance of missing their target depending on their speed, which happens with musket troops. reducing this chance by -5% or something like that, and just an example, it might have other ways or a focus for a specific unit.
I swore to protect and lead a great order that seeks enlightenment, I was chosen by the great star and I will pour out his fury against anyone who declares himself an enemy!
b2198

Post by b2198 »

I believe Endru is already working on techs for improving musketeers and similar gunpowder units, and if I'm not mistaken, one of them will remove the miss chance entirely (and will be required to use gunpowder abilities like the one in late hungarian hussars), so I don't think this would be necessary at all.
Green is the correct color, other colors are "less correct".
Endru1241

Post by Endru1241 »

b2198 wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:40 am I believe Endru is already working on techs for improving musketeers and similar gunpowder units, and if I'm not mistaken, one of them will remove the miss chance entirely (and will be required to use gunpowder abilities like the one in late hungarian hussars), so I don't think this would be necessary at all.
That's right.
Probably Corned Gunpowder would be the name for it.
Age of Strategy design leader

Return to “Techs”