godOfKings

Fear Of Oni IMPLEMENTED

Post by godOfKings »

Researchable tech for onmyoji in dojo

Cost: 4 turns
Builder: Dojo
Unlocks Fear of Oni spell for Onmyoji

Fear of Oni:
By performing strange rituals and using superstitious beliefs, the onmyoji declares his enemies to be possessed by the oni demons thus they are no longer trusted or able to participate in battle

Range: 4 tiles
Action: -10
Lasts: 4 turns
Cooldown: 0 turn
Hit chance: 50% (effected by persuasion tech)
Attachments
indicator_onm_possess.png
indicator_onm_possess.png (245 Bytes) Viewed 1190 times
tech_onmyoji_demon_possess.png
tech_onmyoji_demon_possess.png (1.04 KiB) Viewed 1351 times
Last edited by godOfKings on Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:46 am, edited 18 times in total.
There is no place for false kings here, only those who proves themselves to b the true kings of legend, or serves under me

For I watch over this world looking for those worthy to become kings, and on the way get rid of the fakes and rule over the fools
Hyuhjhih
Location: Earth, (the part of blue ball and is named India for some reasons)

Re: Demon Possess

Post by Hyuhjhih »

🥶🤯😱😳
LIE = Love Is Eternal.

Design leader of the variants Age of Gods and Age Of Civilization, and live heartedly contributing to AoS.

AoC discord server is up AoC
Hyuhjhih

Post by Hyuhjhih »

Beware there's a demon in the camp 😈
Get the shields to not face it , but to keep your eyes hidden from the fright.
LIE = Love Is Eternal.

Design leader of the variants Age of Gods and Age Of Civilization, and live heartedly contributing to AoS.

Hyuhjhih

Post by Hyuhjhih »

The image part and explanation went really good. But can't we try something much realistic to promote the under usage of onmyoji. Like some rumor or plague over camp , with the same idea head.
LIE = Love Is Eternal.

godOfKings

Post by godOfKings »

Too bad the fright is in ur mind cuz u r directly hallucinating, so no shield can help u, only those with strong willpower (and multiple actions :lol:) can fend of their inner demons
There is no place for false kings here, only those who proves themselves to b the true kings of legend, or serves under me

For I watch over this world looking for those worthy to become kings, and on the way get rid of the fakes and rule over the fools
godOfKings

Post by godOfKings »

Hyuhjhih wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:20 pm The image part and explanation went really good. But can't we try something much realistic to promote the under usage of onmyoji. Like some rumor or plague over camp , with the same idea head.
No, historically onmyoji worked for the shogunate by divining fate, fortune, misfortune etc. to help the shoguns make better decisions, as well as protect the shogunate from evil spirits, so this idea completely matches the historical usage of onmyoji (except its the other way round here :lol:)
Last edited by godOfKings on Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hyuhjhih

Post by Hyuhjhih »

I think i bought my specs wrong, the wiggly wabbly figure in my specs went extra frightening. Sorry😈 this thing looked like 👹
LIE = Love Is Eternal.

godOfKings

Post by godOfKings »

I know there r red demons but purple is more scary and i didnt have enough space to make 2 big scary eyes

godOfKings

Post by godOfKings »

If its still unrealistic we can simply explain it by them using hallucinatory drugs and incense to mentally damage the enemy

Hyuhjhih

Post by Hyuhjhih »

godOfKings wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:38 am inducing fear in them and making them unable to continue fighting
this part is fine here but
godOfKings wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:38 am communicate with the spiritual demons. They can curse their enemies to be possessed by demons for a short time,
this went terribly fictional. Went out of the earth. I will probably search for it in 3 months with my telescope praying on far away rocks and rocky huge balls(planets)
LIE = Love Is Eternal.

godOfKings

Post by godOfKings »

Its simply making people believe they r possessed, back then there wasnt much science advancement and it was easy to make people fear the unknown, how else did the so called demons originate?

We can change explanation if u can make a better one

As for current description, imagine u asked an onmyoji how he managed to do it and he said the exact same thing to u to protect his own trade secret, thus people believed and recorded the process as such...
Last edited by godOfKings on Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hyuhjhih

Post by Hyuhjhih »

Hmmm. The same way thunder made thor and storm made zeus right. There is a hidden unwanted but crucial logic pointing to the myths.
LIE = Love Is Eternal.

Hyuhjhih

Re: rumors of execution

Post by Hyuhjhih »

The myths of onmyoji's ritual , execution of souls, spread along the battle fields and made the enemies refrain from war.

I think this one means it.
LIE = Love Is Eternal.

godOfKings

Post by godOfKings »

godOfKings wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:38 am Further studies in divination allowed the onmyoji to communicate with the spiritual demons. They can chant curses at their enemies to believe they were possessed by demons for a short time, thus inducing fear in them and making them unable to continue fighting
I made some specific changes to the description to make it more realistic ( chant curses sounds funny for some reason though :lol:)

Also the part about further studies explain why its a tech with a cost

Endru1241

Post by Endru1241 »

Hugely unbalanced.
Onmyoji costs only 3 turns and already has buff and healing capability. Proposed debuff lasts 2 turns.
So comparing to any existing support unit - it would be the most powerful ability.

Effect also doesn't fit well for me - why would the only partially resistant units be samurai, yumi samurai and slingers (apart of those with mental res), while those should actually be affected even more.
Any believe-based ability logically should affect more the same culture units. Not that it works that way for any existing ability, but logically it should. Here we have the reverse of that.

Also - even if we assume some people from foreign culture would believe in such thing - why would it affect the whole unit?

And finally - practices of onmyodo are concentrated on divination of any kind - telling which time, place, items, overall environment and any combination of those are fortunate or unfortunate. Which was probably the facet of using real knowledge of seasons, meteorology, geography, geology, urbanistics etc. to direct masses, armies and even rulers to some extent.

So imho - demon possesion would fit more to some different unit - either as a kind of buff or ninja kind of travelling priests act (smoke, hallucinations inducing chemicals and proper persuasion on top).
Onmyoji could have bad luck divination or something similar, that's much weaker.
Age of Strategy design leader
godOfKings

Post by godOfKings »

1. We can increase cooldown (suppose 6 turns) to make it less used
2. Bards and herbalists have action increasing spell that counter this and also has lower cooldown so higher frequency of usage (we can make it affect only melee category to match other action increasing spells too)

the description of this spell is basically using make belief supernatural beings to cause fear to his enemies (using hallucinogen will take different route for unit), and actually this spell is still much less useful than a successful persuasion, 2 turns aint that op, u simply need to keep the unit in the back for a few turns(since unit can still move) then it is battle ready. u have taken it to an extreme point of view while in reality most units are cross-cultural and more flexible in game. If we took ur point of view into account then it would b impossible for priests to persuade samurai since they aren’t christian

If u compare it with the usage of priests then its not that scary spell

Also u mentioned the double action units should b more affected but most of the double action units in game (samurai, celts, maori warrior etc.) are historically more ruthless and stronger willpower (since they know they arent wearing enough armor and always brushing with the fear of death in the battlefield) compare that with a fully armored knight who is more confident in killing an armorless unit without dying and he will have slightly weaker willpower

Edit: Changed target category to affect only melee (although most ranged units would still b out of range of onmyoji in game) Also reduced last to 1 turn with 4 turn cooldown

godOfKings

Re: Fear Of Oni

Post by godOfKings »

A more onmyoji oriented name of spell (only onmyoji dabble with oni related beliefs so no other unit can copy him now)

godOfKings

Post by godOfKings »

@Endru1241 i have changed spell stat to a weaker demoralise version

Endru1241

Post by Endru1241 »

And I was thinking of the other way around to balance it.
Miss chance + reduced by mental resistance + lowering mental resistance on miss, but with -10 actions (complete removal).
It would be representation of not only any chance of affecting minds of enemies, but more importantly the social repercussions related to potential belief and interests of allies.
It would be more like declaring a unit to be hosting/helping/being Oni.
Similar to real historical witch hunt cases.
So basically it would be exactly unique japanese version of propaganda - a mix of folktales, religion and pure influence.
We would have a way to remove unit from action for some time, instead of converting.

E.g. 50% chance (affected by persuasion) of 2-4 turns of effect.

Demoralise is good too, but as it's mental/influence attack it shouldn't ignore resistance then.
godOfKings

Post by godOfKings »

So if hit gets -10 action otherwise gets lower mental resist? So effect is unable to use actions for some turns?

Endru1241

Post by Endru1241 »

Yes.
Similar to your original idea, but affecting all those 2/3 action units in full.
And most importantly - not 100% surefire thing, but more like conversion.
godOfKings

Post by godOfKings »

Changed first post again

godOfKings

Re: Fear Of Oni IMPLEMENTED

Post by godOfKings »

Mask of Oni

@Endru1241 wat do u think of this chain idea?

Return to “Techs”