Spacious elephant castle IMPLEMENTED

godOfKings

Spacious elephant castle IMPLEMENTED

Post by godOfKings »

Requires: spacious chariots

Description: After successfully developing the spacious chariots, blacksmiths have become more ambitious and set their eyes on elephants.

Cost: 5 turns
Builder: Blacksmith
Capacity: +1
Category: Elephant
Carried unit survives if i die: false (i.e garrisoned unit will die with the elephant)
Carry category: foot (no healer, worker or misc)

(Also suggested change to spacious chariot:
No spell res increase
Tech cost: 3 turns)
Attachments
tech_spacious_e_castle.png
tech_spacious_e_castle.png (719 Bytes) Viewed 1223 times
Last edited by godOfKings on Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:46 pm, edited 4 times in total.
There is no place for false kings here, only those who proves themselves to b the true kings of legend, or serves under me

For I watch over this world looking for those worthy to become kings, and on the way get rid of the fakes and rule over the fools
phoenixffyrnig

Re: Spacious elephant castle

Post by phoenixffyrnig »

I like it. Elephants need something to make them a bit more viable. At the moment, too easily converted or countered by just a couple of halberdiers.

Because the counters are so cheap and easy, atm Elephants only work as a surprise attack - as a long term strategy it is too easy to counter.

I think you're right, I think it should be both resistance boost and carry capacity or they will still be too easily countered.

Are you thinking just for the War Elephant / Heavy War Elephant or the mahout as well (which begins with 50% resistance?)

Btw - do we need a better name for the upgraded elephant rather than sticking the word Heavy on the front? I imagine the basic elephant is also rather heavy :lol:
I also play an RTS game called Life 8-)
And I also like drinking beer! :D
Aral_Yaren

Post by Aral_Yaren »

Hm... Elite War Elephant sounds good,
There shall be times... when people across the world shall live in peace and harmony through their various diversities. I shall wait for it, even though it costs my life...
godOfKings

Post by godOfKings »

Wen i said elephant, i meant every elephant with the elephant category (including mahout) just like both chariot and chariot archer gets affected by spacious chariots tech (may b not elephant cannon if its too op...)
There is no place for false kings here, only those who proves themselves to b the true kings of legend, or serves under me

For I watch over this world looking for those worthy to become kings, and on the way get rid of the fakes and rule over the fools
godOfKings

Post by godOfKings »

phoenixffyrnig wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:19 pm Btw - do we need a better name for the upgraded elephant rather than sticking the word Heavy on the front? I imagine the basic elephant is also rather heavy :lol:
Heavy basically means it is wearing more heavy armors which translates to higher hp for elephant

Badnorth

Post by Badnorth »

I support this idea. Elephants will become more useful once they have this in it. New cards to play can be great.
Though it will be a pain in the arse to take down an elephant with a powerful archer in it.
For newcomers, click here for discord links. Hopefully they aren't expired.
godOfKings

Post by godOfKings »

It would take 13 turns in a blacksmith to unlock it when there r already many other techs to unlock

Badnorth

Post by Badnorth »

godOfKings wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:55 pm It would take 13 turns in a blacksmith to unlock it when there r already many other techs to unlock
i suppose it is long enough, from my view elephants are underused anyway so i think they need this ability for a change.

Since being on an elephant will provide a tall platform and all i think they the foot units up there could have an additional 1 sight upon mount.
i think the elephants will need an image to show the platform is occupied don't you think? i think it will be confusing. Maybe like a big red dot or smt.
For newcomers, click here for discord links. Hopefully they aren't expired.
godOfKings

Post by godOfKings »

I dont think u need it, do u see battering ram, wagon, chariot or siege tower occupied image?

Hyuhjhih
Location: Earth, (the part of blue ball and is named India for some reasons)

Post by Hyuhjhih »

godOfKings wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:14 pm I dont think u need it, do u see battering ram, wagon, chariot or siege tower occupied image?
Stratego has already commented a possibility of capacity indicator http://www.ageofstrategy.net/viewtopic. ... a9#p117348

A +1 view and +1 range for ranged carried units can be good. But there should not be attack to melee troops other than pikeman(pikeman ranged 2) and a -1 range penalty for them to compensate for the higher height of platform
LIE = Love Is Eternal.

Design leader of the variants Age of Gods and Age Of Civilization, and live heartedly contributing to AoS.

AoC discord server is up AoC
godOfKings

Post by godOfKings »

Then wat about siege tower, or any basic tower and castle? They r all taller and higher than elephant, stats increase should only b given to ranged elephant units as long as its balanced without affecting capacity

Endru1241

Post by Endru1241 »

I need to comment 2 things here:
- I plan to split conversion resistance from carry capacity. It is actually a relict of times, when converting unit with carried units made bugs. And even carrying 1 unit with 0 resistance makes conversion harder, because both units has to be converted at once, so even 0.7 chance turns out 0.49 for 2 units with 0 res.
- No changing stats on carried units if carrier can go to TC. Current way - 0 range aura affects all units in tile, so it would too easily become op in TC.
Age of Strategy design leader
godOfKings

Post by godOfKings »

I dont plan on any stat increase aura, as for conversion resistance, it could b a bonus to match cost of upgrade tech (as its permanent even without carrying unit) since even with loyalty a successful attempt can reduce hp to 1 (and siege tower priest combo is really good late game + plus 5 attempts can reduce resistance to 0)

Otherwise we can also remove resistance completely (from both this and chariot tech) and may b reduce tech cost a little (if we go this path then my suggestion for chariot tech is 3 cost without s.r increase and elephant tech is 5 cost without s.r increase, notice that healers, workers etc. units cannot b carried by chariot and elephant)

Endru1241

Post by Endru1241 »

I was exactly thinking of decreasing the cost of tech along with removing mental resist increase.
For fighting vs priests resistant units can be carried (resistance of carrier and carried units is summed ).
Endru1241

Re: Spacious elephant castle IMPLEMENTED

Post by Endru1241 »

Implemented with 6 turns.
But it's researchable in stables too.

Return to “Techs”