Mask of Oni IMPLEMENTED

godOfKings

Mask of Oni IMPLEMENTED

Post by godOfKings »

Researchable tech for onmyoji at dojo

Cost: 4 turns
Unlocks: Mask of Oni spell for onmyoji
Requires Fear of Oni tech

Mask Of Oni (buff spell for japanese units)
The onmyoji performs special rituals to craft these scary masks, any samurai that wears them will intimidate their enemy
Range: 1
Target Category: Japanese AND Melee (only samurai and such units)
Cooldown: 3 turns

Applies Mask of oni buff to target allied unit
Lasts: 6 turns

(When unit with this buff attacks an enemy flesh and blood unit, enemy will get demoralize debuff for 4 turns, which is basically the same demoralize spell)

(Similar to weapon enchantment spell of herbalists)
Attachments
tech_oni_mask.png
tech_oni_mask.png (1.02 KiB) Viewed 1700 times
indicator_oni_mask.png
indicator_oni_mask.png (483 Bytes) Viewed 1728 times
Last edited by godOfKings on Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:04 pm, edited 26 times in total.
There is no place for false kings here, only those who proves themselves to b the true kings of legend, or serves under me

For I watch over this world looking for those worthy to become kings, and on the way get rid of the fakes and rule over the fools
godOfKings

Re: Mask of Oni

Post by godOfKings »

Lol just the idea of drawing a really cool samurai helmet completely revolutionises my drawing skills

EDIT: Damn this pic is actually creeping me out...
There is no place for false kings here, only those who proves themselves to b the true kings of legend, or serves under me

For I watch over this world looking for those worthy to become kings, and on the way get rid of the fakes and rule over the fools
Endru1241

Post by Endru1241 »

Unfortunately placing effects like auras doesn't work (as far as I recall) by other effects. Only placing weapon effects seems to be possible.
Age of Strategy design leader
godOfKings

Post by godOfKings »

then how about a fear to who ever gets attacked, basically attacking enemies will cause for example non-stackable -2 atk, -1/-1 armor to stats or even lower stats

Endru1241

Post by Endru1241 »

Should work without problems.
Although it would need to be limited to melee to avoid yumi samurai debuff spam.
godOfKings

Post by godOfKings »

Is letting melee unit apply on-hit demoralise debuff op? At least its not worse than directly losing hp over time, so....

It should basically b like slowing poison but replacing -2 hp per turn with static -4 atk and -1/-1 armor....

Endru1241

Post by Endru1241 »

It's not that much op (although it would be coming from 3 turn unit, instead of 5 turn one).
My concerns:
1. If 2 actions, ranged unit can get it, it wouldn't ever be used as buff for melee. Nobody in their right mind would choose to buff any melee unit, having yumi samurai unbuffed. Not ever skipping unit with one of the longest range in game,
2. Flavour - how exactly would enemy even know, that it was shot by unit equipped with some scary masks, of It's from way over their range of sight to even spot any silhulette of said unit.
godOfKings

Post by godOfKings »

godOfKings wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:02 am Target Category: Japanese, Melee (only samurai and such units)
... I believe i already addressed this problem by specifying only melee japanese gets them, and there r only about 3 melee japanese units and they r all samurai related while yumi samurai should b japanese, archer category so it cant get this buff

Basically u can have more units with demoralize spell plus atk, but they r all only range 1 and few types (should it b stated japanese AND melee or something to avoid confusion?)

And because its coming from a 3 turn unit instead of 5 (or 4 for senator) it needs a bunch of techs and has cooldown (explanation for cooldown is it takes time to craft a new mask plus spread superstition so that people will actually fear anything related to oni) as drawback, like 1 onmyoji can make at most 2 units have this spell at the same time

Endru1241

Post by Endru1241 »

Then I must have misunderstood.
I thought you are proposing for all Japanese units to be affected.
Sorry.

Ok. Topic could be set as accepted then.
Let's maybe go in the middle with -3attack, -1/-1 armors.
godOfKings

Post by godOfKings »

If it could b aura instead of on-hit effect, then ranged units getting it wouldnt b much of a problem since their atk range would b higher than aura range and no one would bring a ranged unit forward just to use aura on enemies.

Endru1241

Post by Endru1241 »

godOfKings wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:40 pm If it could b aura instead of on-hit effect, then ranged units getting it wouldnt b much of a problem since their atk range would b higher than aura range and no one would bring a ranged unit forward just to use aura on enemies.
Now you must be misinterpreting something.
This is impossible to be done in the current engine.
So let me rephrase that post:
Endru1241 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:57 am Unfortunately placing effects like auras by other effects doesn't work.
It's not a matter of liking or disliking.
It cannot be done.
Endru1241

Post by Endru1241 »

@godOfKings - I must say - I am sorry.
Practically half of the topic was me saying it cannot be done as aura, but I somehow managed it.

I wouldn't even have any idea how to start if not trying to get assasin ability (one, that kills units inside) to somehow work.
I couldn't make it work in satisfying way to actually affect units inside, but somehow found out aura can be placed on unit.

So it's kind of a chance encounter with new method.

But still - I managed to make mask of oni as originally proposed - onmyoji casts effect, that gives stronger low morale version to japanese non-misc alive unit.
b2198

Post by b2198 »

Oh, that will be cool :O. And will give me a reason to actually research fear of oni XD
Green is the correct color, other colors are "less correct".
godOfKings

Post by godOfKings »

I only have one thing to say....

Thank u Mr.Genius for helping the japanese rise again :)

Morningwarrior

Post by Morningwarrior »

godOfKings wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:03 pm Lol just the idea of drawing a really cool samurai helmet completely revolutionises my drawing skills

EDIT: Damn this pic is actually creeping me out...
are you kidding???, the vanguard sheild knight was his masterpiece, unlike me i might not even be able to make a good sprite for a tech image.
And this is creeping me a little bit.
I swore to protect and lead a great order that seeks enlightenment, I was chosen by the great star and I will pour out his fury against anyone who declares himself an enemy!
godOfKings

Post by godOfKings »

So? Is the sprite good or bad? I cant understand if u like it or not :D

b2198

Post by b2198 »

@Stratego (dev) This one should be marked as "IMPLEMENTED".
Green is the correct color, other colors are "less correct".

Return to “Techs”