Ship of the line 1st rate

Post by Thefallengeneral »

Hp 170
Power 20
Range 5
Armor 6/8
Cost 10
Movement 6
Ships of the line where the main stay ships of any navy armed with numerous cannons during the age of sail with the 1st rate being the flagships with over 100 cannons
Need gunpowder tech
SirPat

Re: Ship of the line 1st rate

Post by SirPat »

Hmmm... I've heard about these ships
But I had to ask what century was this built cause you see Aos is from ancient times till the times of gunpowder
I am Pat :>

I barely visit the forums, but when I do and u saw me reading your post. Expect a whole paragraph to be released about your topic. well except if I like your idea and the idea is perfect as it is, if so ill give u my support
Gral.Sturnn

Post by Gral.Sturnn »

ships already had cannons in the 1400s they only got more complex after that, at the beginning they acted as mobile battlefields but slowly they got more firepower
~Gral.Sturnn
Thefallengeneral

The age of sail was from 1200 to the 19th century it ended do to the steam turbine
Endru1241

Post by Endru1241 »

As far as I know Ship-of-the-line was natural successor of galleon, both precedented from carrack.
The term itself came from specific usage of "great ships" (largest vessels) - forming a line of ships placed sideways to shoot from most cannons in salvos. So Ship-of-the-line is water vessel specialized in line battle.
They came in 17th century. Similar time as flintlock.

Right now I try to limit AoS up to 16th century (musketeer and tanageshima are something I don't yet know what to do with).
But even if we'll be adding this one stats would have to be more balanced.
Age of Strategy design leader
Thefallengeneral

The stats are a baseline what would you think for a balance stat
Endru1241

Post by Endru1241 »

It depends.
As an upgrade from Galleon:
HP: 140
armor: 4/8
actions: 3
The rest unchanged:
power: 10
range: 8
sight: 9
speed: 5
conversion chance: 0.3
conversion range: 1
conversion resistance: 1.0
carry cap: 4
cannonball ability (6 range, 20 power)

Alternatively to 3 actions additional zero action cost ability could be added - Cannonade ( range 6, power 20, aoe - 2 or 3, recharge 1 turn).

As independent unit it could have stats listed by You with 1 exception - speed. Any great ships should have max 5. Leave speed 6 to Caravel/Frigate/possible other ships specialized in movement. Instead it should have a little more attack capability. Maybe 4 speed, 20 power, 5-6 range, aoe 2-3, +50% bonus on ships, but lower cannon bonuses

But I think this name should be left for Galleon upgrade, when AoS will eventually step fully into 17th century (or when Galleon upgrade will be really needed).
Age of Strategy design leader

Return to “Unit - water (ships)”