Hobelar

Badnorth

Hobelar

Post by Badnorth »

Hobelar - Hobelars were a type of light cavalry, or mounted infantry, used in Western Europe during the Middle Ages for skirmishing. They originated in 13th century Ireland, and generally rode hobbies, a type of light and agile horse.

This unit could work as a celtic light cavalry.
Sacrificing hp for more attack and speed.
Speed is because hobbies were really fast horses.

Trained at : Celtic barracks, stables
Affected by warpaint
Cost: 3
Hp: 12
Att: 10
Spd: 7
Sight: 6
Armor: 0/1
Mental resist:
Bonuses:
50% Archers
50% light foot melee
50% Medium foot melee
For newcomers, click here for discord links. Hopefully they aren't expired.
Endru1241

Re: Hobelar

Post by Endru1241 »

Speed 6 is already great. Unit with 7 speed would create too great of an advantage for one culture.
And even if something like that was introduced - it wouldn't be celtic for sure. Rather steppe ot some other eastern culture.
10 power is totally ridiculous. Original light cavalry has 6.
And what exactly is the sacrifice? Meager 3 hp?

There were known fast horses, but neither of them came from western europe. And light cavalry shouldn't have attack power as high as knights.
Age of Strategy design leader
Badnorth

Post by Badnorth »

Hmm I'll leave this for now. Idk how to make a use for a unit and I suck at making stats.
phoenixffyrnig

Post by phoenixffyrnig »

Hardly! Half the new units in recent weeks have come from you Quaddy!

With a slight change of emphasis, this could actually be fitting. The hobilars were actually ponies, smaller than horses, but because of their genetics and environment, sturdier and of greater endurance (pound for pound).

They were actually used by Celtic people because their smaller stature made them more suited to woodlands, and their fitness and adaptation to rough, mountainous terrain meant they could carry their rider where normal horses couldn't.

If stats were re-balanced, could this be a light mounted unit that doesn't have a movement penalty in woods, and maybe even be able to travel over mountains?

Edit - to be clear, I'm thinking speed of 5 rather than the 6 of light cav, (they did have shorter legs after all), and same as Rangers, a 1 tile move in mountains. Btw, does the ability to cross mountain tiles have a name in this game?
I also play an RTS game called Life 8-)
And I also like drinking beer! :D
Badnorth

Post by Badnorth »

Irish hobbies link - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_Hobby
I do like this idea. They can be the only cavalry with no movement reduction in forest tiles and has the ability to cross mountains tiles. This is suited for guerilla warfare and for reaching towns that is behind a mountain. And pheonix hobelars were the riders. Hobbies are the mount. But hobbies were fast ponies, so they could have a speed of 6. But if balancing is really needed then 5.
DreJaDe

Post by DreJaDe »

If this horse should be able to traverse mountains maybe its also time for other type of unit to be able to traverse it also. Like for example, the light armored infantry?
Endru1241

Post by Endru1241 »

Sorry if I have sounded too harsh quadro.
I sometimes overreact.

Back to the topic.
Imo, mountains should be left for special units for now.
Right now only rangers and ninjas can move like that and both are stealth units with normal speed.
So base speed 5 unit with ability to traverse them would have to be 5-6 cost unit. Maybe 4 with very limited offensive/defensive stats.

But no forest penalty is acceptable even for 3 turn scout with speed 6. This could be added in exchange for 2 or 3 hp.
Age of Strategy design leader
phoenixffyrnig

Post by phoenixffyrnig »

Endru1241 wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:50 pm
Back to the topic.
Imo, mountains should be left for special units for now.
Perhaps we could come back to this at some point (sorry, I'm going slightly off topic here - but it's such a vague idea it's not worth a separate topic) but there could be an opportunity to give different factions a unique bonus skill or ability, possibly researchable, for certain, but not all units?

Eg the Romans have the professional military, Legion Training and other buffs.
Primitive could have Camouflage - the ability to Stealth mode certain units in certain terrain
Mountain movement would be fitting for some Celtic units
I can't think of a Norse one atm

Back on topic, I think we should keep the Hobilar as a cheaper unit, like Quaddy says, using its speed and mobility as its strength, so if it has a low attack, give suitable boni so it can take out workers, healers, and weaker archers, but not particularly effective Vs "professional" soldiers.
I also play an RTS game called Life 8-)
And I also like drinking beer! :D
Badnorth

Post by Badnorth »

Endru1241 wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:50 pm Sorry if I have sounded too harsh quadro.
I sometimes overreact.
Its okay.

Vikings were professional raiders at sea so the norse could have some effect on sea. Idk what.
Badnorth

Post by Badnorth »

The horse is smaller than original.
I lowered the head, legs, body etc. And added the human.
Unarmoured and carries a lance.

The hobelar images on google is armoured.
So how about making an upgrade for hobelar called armored hobelar?
Same cost : 3 but with armor.

Hobelar.
Attachments
unit_hobelar.png
unit_hobelar.png (1.7 KiB) Viewed 1277 times
Badnorth

Post by Badnorth »

Or giving new stats making this unit a slightly armored light cavalry. The images on google has the hobelar holding javelins and a small round shield. It could be a ranged light-armored cavalry. Changing the sprite aswell to an armored one. The hobelars wore an iron hat like helmet as head gear and for the body armor it looks like brigandine armor and on back they had a pair of javelins.
Badnorth

Post by Badnorth »

Since the hobelars rose on the 13thc they should look like this.

Return to “Unit - mounted”