Has charge ability from Gral.Sturrnum's topic

Handgun
Uses a handgun
12atk
3-4 range
2-turn cooldown
Needs gunpowder tech

Eg. Image

Last edited by SirPat on Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am Pat :>

I barely visit the forums, but when I do and u saw me reading your post. Expect a whole paragraph to be released about your topic. well except if I like your idea and the idea is perfect as it is, if so ill give u my support
LordOfAles

Re: Heavy Polish winged Hussars

Post by LordOfAles »

There was no such thing in history. Really.
I am, indeed, a big Witch King and Middle Earth fan if you didn't notice.
SirPat

Post by SirPat »

Oh cause I watched something before about the timeline of the hussars and history

It said that they were light cavalry at the start then later began to be elite light cavalry then turned to heavy? All i remembered was it turned to heavy or is there something like medium cavalry they wore more armor they use lances for there infamous
Charge then used guns at the 16th century if i'm not mistaken then got replaced at the 17th or 18th century

So can we atleast have Armored hussars that gives them armor cause they did changed there armor through out history

I barely visit the forums, but when I do and u saw me reading your post. Expect a whole paragraph to be released about your topic. well except if I like your idea and the idea is perfect as it is, if so ill give u my support
Endru1241

Post by Endru1241 »

This is my object of interests, so I'm gonna provide some info:
Winged Hussars, actually formation named "Husaria" (read with s) stated with an idea of fighting brought with Serbs, who came to Poland from Hungary. So basically Hungarian Hussar was an idea, which started it.
They used lances and sabers for self defence. They also harassed enemy with bow and arrows. But they fought with very little or no armor, only with turkish style shield. They were light cavalry to the bone.
Original hussars dealt surprisingly good damage against both infantry and other cavalry with lance charges.
That's why they've gotten polish king attention. Around ending of 15th century after years of extensive and secret research (mainly very costly) first hussaria banners (regiments) were created.
They were medium to heavy cavalry (depending on financial status of particular knight), but main equipment were made of:
- special kind of lance - "kopia" which were main reason behind research - it was longer and sturdier than current time lances, giving lesser chance for breaking and better range, they weighted similar, so operating them was not harder
- "koncerz" - stabbing sword, similar to estoc
- broadsword or sabre
- bow
- rider armor, including helmet and shield
Horse armor was optional.
Kopia lance was supplied by the king for each battle (few of them) , while the rest was required to be brought by the knight himself.
Horses were required to be bought from designed stables (reserved only for this unit - selling it to outlander was punished by death), which were specially bred for heavy cavalry use. Superior horses, which were agile (enough to fight against steppe cavalry), strong (heavy cavalry equipment) and mainly had great endurance (they could charge right after extensive march, sometimes even twice) and extensive training.
Actually horse breed were not so good at the start (it's probably got like that in the later half of 16th centrury), but horse training were second reason for expensive research.
Their horses hardly felt fear and charged easily.
Later in second half of 16th century they got guns instead of bow.
They got more and more elite, having even better equipment (and pricier). First half of 16th century were their time of increased progress to fit even better with gunpowder and pike filled battlefields, while years ~1550-1650 was their time of glory and greatest military achievements. In second half of 17th century Commonwealth, because of economic problems started to decrease the size of Husaria regiments (earlier the size was constantly being increased). In 18th century they got even smaller army size and later politically changed (some heavy cavalry units were changed to hussars, without replacing horses, similar replacements were made to other units, just to tell, that we still have unbeatable "husaria" in old numbers). They got hardly used in battles and finally in year 1775 completely disbanded after First Partition of Commonwealth.

Summing up - they got heavy armor, very effective lances (commonly outranging pikeman) and ranged weapons. Superior horses would indicate better hp than knight. Actually it's speed (current specialty) that they were never known of.
Current hussar represents classic european hussar - the one from 17th century (inspired separately by hungarian hussar - mainly by use in Archduchy of Austria armies), which were light to medium cavalry, probably faster.
Age of Strategy design leader
Endru1241

Post by Endru1241 »

I forgot technicalities about this suggestion.
I plan to change image of husssars and add proper hussar discussed here, but rationalized for game balance. So we'll be having hungarian hussar (4 turns, light), hussar (5 turns, light-medium), winged hussar(6 turns, heavy, so 5 speed) and possibly their upgrades packed in one upgrade tech (or maybe one upgrade tech for lighter ones and second for winged).

My avatar icon is my avatar only.
But I planned for similar looking unit - Winged Hussar Rothmeestz (captain), and that one would be special and even longer to build (8turns, aura?).
Age of Strategy design leader
SirPat

Post by SirPat »

Thanks for the information :)

Return to “Unit - mounted”