Cossacks

Dan301002

Cossacks

Post by Dan301002 »

Cossacks is a cavalry units of Rusia in medieval era, at that time they use Shashka (cossack sabre). The definition of the weapon is like this "very sharp, single-edged, single-handed, and guardless sword. In appearance, the shashka was midway between a full sabre and a straight sword. It had a slightly curved blade, and could be effective for both slashing and thrusting. The blade was either hollowed or fullered".
Attachments
Shashka
Shashka
shashka-sabre.jpg (10.25 KiB) Viewed 6333 times
Currently exploring the wonder of dimension.
Puss_in_Boots

Re: Cossacks

Post by Puss_in_Boots »

What's the cavalry look like?
OLÉ
Dan301002

Post by Dan301002 »

I got no luck, there is no simple image about cossacks, this is the closest one i get. (Not sure if it really like that)
Cossacks
Cossacks
cossacks_russian-cavalry.jpg (35.49 KiB) Viewed 6327 times
Btw, i am wrong about the cossacks, the cossacks come in renaissance era (already exist before that time). They had renaissance gun or so i thought? Then, they should have an ability to shoot once per few turns (accuracy?), and still be able to stab using their sabre if not firing shot.
DoomCarrot
Location: Commanding General's quarters, a tall keep above the mighty city of Carrot's Point

Post by DoomCarrot »

Yes, they were cavalry that carried old fashioned rifles. In Age of Empires, they were powerful light cavalry that could attack at range, and I remember them being super OP :P

I actually think they would really fit the theme of AoS, and it would give more use to gunpowder. Basically the gunpowder version of horse archer. Mix Ashigaru damage + accuracy with horse archer and that could make an interesting unit. :)
The day is coming when a single carrot, freshly observed, will set off a revolution.
Puss_in_Boots

Post by Puss_in_Boots »

Honestly, I think the accuracy of the Cossack should be similar to the ashigaru, but it will still have the same cost, speed, and health of the horse archer.

Maybe another castle only unit?
OLÉ
Dan301002

Post by Dan301002 »

DoomCarrot wrote:Yes, they were cavalry that carried old fashioned rifles. In Age of Empires, they were powerful light cavalry that could attack at range, and I remember them being super OP :P

I actually think they would really fit the theme of AoS, and it would give more use to gunpowder. Basically the gunpowder version of horse archer. Mix Ashigaru damage + accuracy with horse archer and that could make an interesting unit. :)
Eh, i thing it could be interesting. Of course they should have the accuracy of Yari Ashigaru while packing more punch than Horse Archer with the same cost. (Lesser accuracy bigger damage)
Midonik

Post by Midonik »

Cossacks can as well be from earlier period and be a horse archers/melee cavalry.
They weren't only Russian units,earlier a lot of them served Lithuania and Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. Until some rebels destroyed our relationships... anyway...
Support new AoS variant, Age of Galaxy: http://ageofstrategy.net/viewforum.php? ... 608408ebc8
All help will be welcome.
makazuwr32

Post by makazuwr32 »

Historikal help:
As from Russia i can say that first cossacks appeared with mongolian hordes on russia at 1240 year: they were knights who fled from mongols at first.
To 1480 year they became different from usual armies because they were fearsome and independent from all countries they were living at: Russia, Lithuania, Poland, Crimea (controlled by osman empire).
So i think thier stats must be something around these (could you also implement here dodge mechanics from aof?):
Can be built only in stables;
cost is 3 turns;
Spell resist: 20%
and they were fearless, so no "Camel fear" effect to them
HP: 28-30 (around)
Range: melee only,
Attack: 5-6 (and if they can't be upgraded by blacksmith, then 7); 2 actions/turn; bonus damage to knights and their upgrades, hussars and hungarian hussars, all infantry and most of archers exept maybe elephant archers (because they were universal fighters, but they never fought with war elephants and catapults) and bonus must be betveen 60% and 100% (infantry must have lover bonus %).
Because they hadn't any armor so no armor upgrades and 0/0 (or maybe 1/0) armor.
but they were good at dodge arrows and counters so i suggest to implement dodge mechanic and to set them these:
Dodge arrows - 25%
Dodge counters - 50% (and no upgrades for those)
Speed - 6 or even 7 (they were FASTER then even light cavalary of Poland kindom)
Sight range - 6 or 7 (same as their speed)
So they will be anti-infantry, anti-heavy cavalary (but weak against elephants), anti-archer unit.
Midonik

Post by Midonik »

Good,but I think it should have a 4 cost and 6 speed,it will completly replace light cav otherwise. And Stratego will probably dont want to add more dodge.
Support new AoS variant, Age of Galaxy: http://ageofstrategy.net/viewforum.php? ... 608408ebc8
All help will be welcome.
makazuwr32

Post by makazuwr32 »

Midonik wrote:Good,but I think it should have a 4 cost and 6 speed,it will completly replace light cav otherwise. And Stratego will probably dont want to add more dodge.
They will not replace Light cav because
1. they don't have any anti-pierce armor.
2. they can be trained only in stables, not in the towns. you need at least 7 turns 'till first cossack if you start with one worker.
3. speed could also be 6. it was just a suggestion.
4. they don't have ANY armor upgrades, so while game is going they'll become weaker and weaker.

And if without dodge mechanics then i think they must have a little bit different stats:
Can be built only in stables (no early cossacks in random from towns);
cost is 4 turns (to compensate increase in armor and health);
Spell resist: 30%
and they were fearless, so no "Camel fear" effect to them
HP: 31 (increased)
Range: melee only,
Attack: 7, no blacksmith upgrades, 2 actions/turn; bonus damage to knights and their upgrades, hussars and hungarian hussars, all infantry and most of archers exept maybe elephant archers (because they were universal fighters, but they never fought with war elephants and catapults) and bonus must be betveen 60% and 100% (infantry must have lover bonus %).
Because no dodge 1/2 armor.
Speed - 6
Sight range - 6
makazuwr32 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:54 amWhen you ask to change something argument why...
Put some numbers, compare to what other races have and so on...
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
makazuwr32

Post by makazuwr32 »

I desided to complete revamp of cossacks
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4973&p=50838#p50838
makazuwr32 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:54 amWhen you ask to change something argument why...
Put some numbers, compare to what other races have and so on...
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
Inbreak

Post by Inbreak »

Speaking about camel fear those are horses who fear camels, not humans, so cossacks should suffer from this too.
Pugh, Pugh, Barney McGrew, Cuthbert, Dibble, Grub.
Inbreak

Post by Inbreak »

Visual concept could be like this but on the horse.

Or with a national shirt.
Inbreak

Post by Inbreak »

In terms of stats I see them similar to polish and hunggarian hussar (for many points agree with makazuwr):
Speed - 6
Sight - 7
Class - light chivalry for not being slain by pikeman so fast as they are more agile as a riders.
Cost - 4 turns.
Spell resist - doesnt matter. Maybe little bonus of 20-30 as mentioned above for some religious aspects of their being
HP - about 26.
Attack - 12, and with upgrade on weapon (why not?).
Don't agree with 2 actions - it's impossible to make fast attacks on armored opponent with that type of chivalry sabre, but slashes can be really powerful and damaging, that's why attack should be great.
Agree with bonus damage to heavy and medium chivalry (except anti-chivalry), all foot units (except anti-mounted as well), archers and siege weapon
As mentioned above no armor at all and no blacksmith bonuses. Idea with dodge is good. Maybe it should be as activated skill which can add maybe 4 pierce armor for 1 turn with a cooldown for 2 turns (it's not easy to dodge missile attack, cossacks need rest :) ).
Gral.Sturnn

Post by Gral.Sturnn »

they will be added in age of discovery if you are interested
~Gral.Sturnn
Morningwarrior

Post by Morningwarrior »

Gral.Sturnn wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:56 pm they will be added in age of discovery if you are interested
I iam
I swore to protect and lead a great order that seeks enlightenment, I was chosen by the great star and I will pour out his fury against anyone who declares himself an enemy!
Gral.Sturnn

Post by Gral.Sturnn »

Wanna join the discord?
~Gral.Sturnn
Morningwarrior

Post by Morningwarrior »

Gral.Sturnn wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:32 am Wanna join the discord?
Why not?
I swore to protect and lead a great order that seeks enlightenment, I was chosen by the great star and I will pour out his fury against anyone who declares himself an enemy!
Gral.Sturnn

Post by Gral.Sturnn »

~Gral.Sturnn
godOfKings

Post by godOfKings »

@Endru1241 can this b added as regular mounted units of the slavs, with not so exaggerated stats as above posts but balancing with other slav support units like herbalist in mind

I m not sure, it could b a gun powder unit or like hungarian hussar with early version as light cavalry and late version with gun atk spell
There is no place for false kings here, only those who proves themselves to b the true kings of legend, or serves under me

For I watch over this world looking for those worthy to become kings, and on the way get rid of the fakes and rule over the fools
DreJaDe

Post by DreJaDe »

What about smt like this

Smt like
Cost: 4
HP:26
Atk: 9
M/R Armor: 0/1
Speed: 6

Bonus
Same as hussar