Druid IMPLEMENTED

Badnorth

Druid IMPLEMENTED

Post by Badnorth »

A druid was a member of the high-ranking class in ancient Celtic cultures. Perhaps best remembered as religious leaders, they were also legal authorities, adjudicators, lorekeepers, medical professionals, and political advisors. While the druids are reported to have been literate, they are believed to have been prevented by doctrine from recording their knowledge in written form, thus they left no written accounts of themselves. They are however attested in some detail by their contemporaries from other cultures, such as the Romans and the Greeks.

The Greco-Roman and the vernacular Irish sources agree that the druids played an important part in pagan Celtic society. In his description, Julius Caesar claimed that they were one of the two most important social groups in the region (alongside the equites, or nobles) and were responsible for organizing worship and sacrifices, divination, and judicial procedure in Gaulish, British, and Irish societies. He claimed that they were exempt from military service and from the payment of taxes, and had the power to excommunicate people from religious festivals, making them social outcasts. Two other classical writers, Diodorus Siculus and Strabo, wrote about the role of druids in Gallic society, claiming that the druids were held in such respect that if they intervened between two armies they could stop the battle.
Stats:
Cost: 5
Hp: 20
Att: 2
Spd: 2
Armor: 0/0
Sight: 4
Spell rng: 5
Spell power: 14
Abilities:
Heal - 14
Excommunication
Promote loyalty
Dismiss propaganda
Convert - 40%
Demoralize
Bonuses:

Not sure what unique ability the druid shall have.
Maybe demoralize as an aura or ability and has 2 actions? But making it similar to inquisitors is a no?
For newcomers, click here for discord links. Hopefully they aren't expired.
phoenixffyrnig

Re: Druid

Post by phoenixffyrnig »

Demoralise would be a good one (well almost essential I think)

Reputed to have magic powers, chanting in strange languages, often wearing animal skulls as helmets...these guys would certainly scare me!
I also play an RTS game called Life 8-)
And I also like drinking beer! :D
Badnorth

Post by Badnorth »

They were also highly respected.
So adding demoralize would be fine. Stackable.
Imagine demoralizing a unit several times lol. Mind break. Even so, useful as demoralize weakens mental resistance.
Badnorth

Post by Badnorth »

Then convert will come in.
Endru1241

Post by Endru1241 »

I would totally change the abilities.
Excommunication is a big no-no. It affects u_religious group, which contains various priests, monks, monastic orders units. It doesn't affect e.g. onmyoji, bard, herbalist or senator.
Demoralise is super high difficulty oratory skill. Same effect could be achieved by combination of quite good oratory skills and fear or just super great fear.
Druids don't fit to have either.
I also wonder if they were much of converters. Celts weren't that much differed genetically, so they probably didn't allow other people in their groups.
They definitely were healers and were known as some kind of sorcerers/priests which could give the order, that one had to fulfill. Otherwise gods/forces of nature would curse that one.
Ideas for stats/abilities related:
Spell range 3, 2 actions (or maybe even 3), heal 7 (or 5 if 3 actions).
Geass: Fight - casted on non-ranged ally, +4 power, -10 speed, -10 ability range, wears off after attack
Geass: Move - casted on ally, +2 movement, -30 power, -10 attack range, -10 ability range, wears off after move
Geass: Survive - casted on ally, +6/3 armors, gives IS_DIE_HARD spec (unit retains 1 hp from attack, that would kill it, unless it already has 1 hp), -10 speed, -30 power, -10 attack range, -10 ability range, lasts 1 turn
all of them non-stackable
Age of Strategy design leader
Badnorth

Post by Badnorth »

I suppose the druid would cost 6 then?
Sounds like a powerful celt. Would be on par with the bard on usefulness.

What would the Image look? Primitive, like bone headgears or something?
phoenixffyrnig

Post by phoenixffyrnig »

OK, I agree excommunication and conversion aren't really suited to this unit. What the druids had in place of excommunication was probably ostracisation, a social exclusion or banishment, rather than a spiritual damnation, which doesn't really fit in this game.

I would say there is a case for demoralise though
The Roman historian Tacitus describes (from Wikipedia)
when the Romans...
'... attacked the island of Mona [the druids base] the legionaries were awestruck on landing by the appearance of a band of druids, who, with hands uplifted to the sky, poured forth terrible imprecations on the heads of the invaders. He states that these "terrified our soldiers who had never seen such a thing before" '

Since he implies that this is more due to their actions than their presence, I would suggest it to be an ability with cool down rather than a standard effect.

Yeah Quaddy, we're not talking about Getafix here, animal skin cloaks, ceremonial wooden staff (the Oak tree in particular was revered by the Celts) , and a horned goat's skull helmet were what your fashionable druid would be wearing... Might be quite a challenge...
Badnorth

Post by Badnorth »

phoenixffyrnig wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:10 pm Yeah Quaddy, we're not talking about Getafix here, animal skin cloaks, ceremonial wooden staff (the Oak tree in particular was revered by the Celts) , and a horned goat's skull helmet were what your fashionable druid would be wearing... Might be quite a challenge...
Seems like fantasy. The ones I've seen from google ain't exactly from what you've described. the images were more like an Aos healer on appearance. On fantasy however it is true. Worth a try though.
phoenixffyrnig wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:10 pm animal skin cloaks, ceremonial wooden staff (the Oak tree in particular was revered by the Celts) , and a horned goat's skull helmet.
Badnorth

Post by Badnorth »

I'll make it tom.
Badnorth

Post by Badnorth »

I made it now.
What do you think?
Attachments
unit_druid.png
unit_druid.png (1.34 KiB) Viewed 2300 times
Endru1241

Post by Endru1241 »

QuadrupoleStrat wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:09 pm I made it now.
What do you think?
Grim reaper older brother - Demency.
Squirrel5555

Post by Squirrel5555 »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
AOD Team - Join Us!
phoenixffyrnig

Post by phoenixffyrnig »

Can you do something with a gnarly goat horned helmet @Squirrel5555? May not be 100% guaranteed to be completely historically accurate, but I refuse to believe these guys went on to the battlefield in nice white robes and wreaths in their hair
Squirrel5555

Post by Squirrel5555 »

I just liked Endru's description :D

If Endru wants a guy with w gnarly goat helm, I can try, but not today, and Ill wait for his opinion first
AOD Team - Join Us!
phoenixffyrnig

Post by phoenixffyrnig »

What if phoenix wants something with a gnarly goats horn helmet for his avatar...? :lol: if you do make something that looks suitably celtic and scary please let me now :)
Squirrel5555

Post by Squirrel5555 »

phoenixffyrnig wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:17 pm What if phoenix wants something with a gnarly goats horn helmet for his avatar...? :lol: if you do make something that looks suitably celtic and scary please let me now :)
Ill probably give it a go in the next few days! Unless there are too many things to help with in AOD, and I cant find time.
AOD Team - Join Us!
Endru1241

Post by Endru1241 »

But seriously this image could be changed a little and it will fit.
Full body robe is rather impopable. Druids would likely wear trousers and long coat, possibly with hood. So current robe needs to have part of the front removed, showing fragments of other garment.
Black hole / lack of face is rather disturbing, but there is no need for it - there were descriptions of varoius masks used for rituals, so one could be presented here. Some of them were horned, but goat horns are not necessarily good for image. Maybe elk's ?
Badnorth

Post by Badnorth »

Like this?
Attachments
unit_druid.png
unit_druid.png (1.55 KiB) Viewed 2254 times
Endru1241

Post by Endru1241 »

Sorry, but it looks kinda like pyjamas.

I meant it more like this:
Attachments
unit_druid.png
unit_druid.png (1.8 KiB) Viewed 2248 times
Badnorth

Post by Badnorth »

I polished it a little bit.
Hope u like.
Attachments
unit_druid.png
unit_druid.png (1.7 KiB) Viewed 2242 times
phoenixffyrnig

Post by phoenixffyrnig »

I'm liking this - have we got a decision re cost? I'd also suggest he be a "unique" unit, only available in the Celtic building (if/when that happens)

I was also considering suggesting the Bard is available to the Celts, quite a natural fit, but it seems like 2 of your suggestions Endru are pretty much battle song and adventure song (or very similar) - is that the case?

If so, one thought - could Bard be included, and those abilities removed from Druid to cheapen his cost? Or is that too many buffer units...?
Endru1241

Post by Endru1241 »

Druid was inserted pretty much like I wrote before - with geass enchants.
Let's see it in game how exactly will that work.

Return to “Unit - supportive (buff, heal, repair etc.)”