Generic musketeer and melee

Leonard01

Generic musketeer and melee

Post by Leonard01 »

Generic musketeer. There are already 2 units, but they're ottoman janisarry and spanish. A generic musketeer wouldn't be very powerful alone, being that early muskets were relatively inaccurate. Also with this, light musketeers, less protected faster units, and perhaps some other firearms like flintlocks.

About melee, a cut and stab would be more interesting, or atleast more attack types for some variety. Cut or slice, which ever term is correct, is the standard attack, but stab (for swords) might be more accurate, faster/less predictable, and won't compromise the unit to remove their shield to attack.

Correct me if i missed something. I did, in fact, check the units to make sure. I don't see any of these. As such i am suggesting.
Endru1241

Re: Generic musketeer and melee

Post by Endru1241 »

You don't see a musketeer, because it was redesigned and replaced by handgoneer.
Purposefully.

Spanish unit is actually using arquebus, so still a generation before muskets.
Janissary is named "rifleman" indicating rifle usage, which is outreaguesly futuristic.
Both are only map editor units and can be treated with some more loose rules.

But generally speaking - AoS is tied by time.
Age of Strategy game time is up to the end of medieval period.
Some units slightly newer can appear, as it doesn't have to be the same world, the same earth.
Still - not technologically advanced beyond said times.
16th or even 17th century melee weapons or civil tech are OK.
They could probably appear, as they didn't need such significant metallurgy advancement as gunpowder weapons.
In gun categories however - technology had to take few big step in different disciplines before newer weapons were possible, so that's huge NO.

So - there will never be flintlocks.
For now matchlocks are considered unknown and will only appear as advanced endgame technology, giving boost to guns.
Or maybe even not.

The reason for such limit is simple - it would be too much of a time-tech difference between still not obsolete javelineers, archers, melee units.
In reality - a musket was end for knights, definite doom for heavy infantry. Battlefield changed too much to have any place for old tactics and units.
And suddenly making half (or much more) game units be obsolete is not good in any way.

Any unit in game suggesting usage of newer tech should be considered as listed for redesign for hancannon usage.
Age of Strategy design leader

Return to “Unit - melee infantry”