Roman turtle formation (unit)

godOfKings

Roman turtle formation (unit)

Post by godOfKings »

godOfKings wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:42 pm I got an idea, how about a turtle formation? (Instead of siege tower) This will b roman shielder unit with 2 speed, high armor and 1 carry capacity and carries foot only. foot units can attack from inside, if turtle formation dies unit inside will survive, may b it will require legion training tech to make?

Image: turtle formation of legionaries, may b 32x64 px size (mainly a block of shields)

Cost: 6
Tech required: legion training
Building: Roman castle
Hp: 40
Atk: 8
Armor: 6/6
Speed: 2
Spell resist: 20%
Heal bonus: 1.5
Carry cap: 1
Carry category: foot
Carried unit can attack
Carried unit can survive if it dies

Bonus:
Standard swordsman bonus

Category:
Heavy foot melee
Big shield bearer
Got this idea wen i saw suggestion of siege tower for roman mega structure
There is no place for false kings here, only those who proves themselves to b the true kings of legend, or serves under me

For I watch over this world looking for those worthy to become kings, and on the way get rid of the fakes and rule over the fools
Endru1241

Re: Roman turtle formation (unit)

Post by Endru1241 »

I am not sure it's actually good idea.
Introducing one such unit would call for making more of them - at the very least for common formations (no specific culture), but possibly known formations used by some nations.

But there is another option to use small part of that idea - why not make a transformation for legionary unit?
Or even just ability?
With the main point of increasing hp and armors, in exchange of lowering speed to 2, and maybe lower attack.
It could also possibly deny some entry in carriers (maybe foot only carriers) if needed for balance.
Age of Strategy design leader
L4cus

Post by L4cus »

I like an ability option...
In itself and with infity turns...
But with another ability to break formation
Extra ecclesiam nulla salus...
AOD, a new variant...
viewforum.php?f=230
Endru1241

Post by Endru1241 »

Well, transformation works essentially like that, but allows changed image.

As there is no option for triggered showing of ability button (apart of option for summon lacking sacrifice) it would look not so good to always display both.
Also - I am not sure if there is any way to disable potential formation ability, once it's on.
Disabling "formation off" could be possible by making it work like pay mercenary or dismiss propaganda (decrease lasting of formation ability by e.g. -99).
L4cus

Post by L4cus »

there is a removing efects trait, like healing removing poison...so we can set the formation hability in a effect group, and set it removed by "break formation" spell...
btw, we can have some units with the posibility of breaking formation with their attacks like shock cavalry, elephants and artillery
i use this traits on aod and it works (i think)
AOD, a new variant...
viewforum.php?f=230
Morningwarrior

Post by Morningwarrior »

Wait is a loot of units make one or is a ability?
I swore to protect and lead a great order that seeks enlightenment, I was chosen by the great star and I will pour out his fury against anyone who declares himself an enemy!
Endru1241

Post by Endru1241 »

L4cus wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:34 pm there is a removing efects trait, like healing removing poison...so we can set the formation hability in a effect group, and set it removed by "break formation" spell...
btw, we can have some units with the posibility of breaking formation with their attacks like shock cavalry, elephants and artillery
i use this traits on aod and it works (i think)
You misunderstood.
What I meant is, that legionary would still be able to use ability, even being under the effects of that already.
So the button for it would always be active.
L4cus

Post by L4cus »

oh
thats true...
thats stiill a problem for us in aod, pikemen are able to get in pike formation even if tehy are already in pike formation T_T
and if u set an ability for break that formation, that ability will be aviable even if u are not in that formation
u think there is a way to solve it? it would help us too
AOD, a new variant...
viewforum.php?f=230
Endru1241

Post by Endru1241 »

Well, I already posted solution for breaking formation - just use system special for decreasing number of turns on specific effect.
As for disabling formation itself - I have an idea, but it may be unnecessarily complicated:
Make unit start with effect loose formation or something.
Make formation ability have another effect as primary, that targets and decreases by huge value this loose formation effect and current effect as related.
Make breaking formation ability have related effect that leaves loose formation on a unit.
L4cus

Post by L4cus »

oh thanks! i will try it
AOD, a new variant...
viewforum.php?f=230
Morningwarrior

Post by Morningwarrior »

wait, let me see if I understand, will the legionaries have the ability to get together and do a formation?
I swore to protect and lead a great order that seeks enlightenment, I was chosen by the great star and I will pour out his fury against anyone who declares himself an enemy!

Return to “Unit - melee infantry”