RULES For Campaign of Honor/Campaign of Valor

DoomCarrot
Location: Commanding General's quarters, a tall keep above the mighty city of Carrot's Point

RULES For Campaign of Honor/Campaign of Valor

Post by DoomCarrot »

This topic is only the rules for the campaign of honor and campaign of valor. See the topics for the campaigns here:

AoF Campaign of Honor: viewtopic.php?f=73&t=5049&p=52268#p52268
AoS Campaign of Valor: viewtopic.php?f=73&t=5044&p=52062#p52062

Rules:

1. To start, players will choose their starting territory in order play, which shall be described in the campaign topics. Each player shall start with one army in their starting territory.
2. A round shall be defined as a completed order of play, as well as the completion of any resulting battles.
3. A turn shall be defined as a single player's action on the campaign map.
4. Order of player turns shall reverse each round. The selection of starting territories counts as a round.
5. A player is defeated when they have no more armies or owned territories on the campaign map.
6. If a player is defeated, he cannot return to play by any means.
7. Gameplay shall be divided into 2 segments-Map and Battle.
8. Players by no means can be skipped/kicked unless they have been inactive for 72+ hours. If you need a break for some reason, no problem, just tell someone that you will be inactive and try to give an estimate of when you may be back, so we do not think you have dissapeared off the face of the Earth. :)

THE MAP:

1. On your turn, you may choose to do one of two things on the campaign map: recruit an army in an owned territory or move an army into another territory.
2. If you move into an enemy territory, it results in a battle.
3. when all map moves are finished, any attacked territory results in a battle.
4. If an attacked territory has multiple defending armies, an AI is given to the defending player for each extra army or one that is not "defending," up to the maximum amount of AI possible for the battle.
5. If a territory is attacked by only one player, and the owner of the territory does not have an army to defend it, or moves the army to another territory, the territory is automatically awarded to the attacker at the end of the round.
6. In a battle, the player who owns the attacked territory shall create the map.
7. A player can not recruit more armies than owned territories.
8. Multiple players can attack the same territory, resulting in a free for all battle. Politics and teaming-up is allowed. However, be careful, as such actions may anger other players and make them form an alliance against you! :twisted:
9. A retreat shall be defined as a withdrawal from a battle. If a player retreats, the army they attacked with, or a single army they defended with, may move into an adjacent friendly territory. A player may not retreat if they start their turn with less than half the points of any of their opponents in the battle.
10. If an army is attacked, it cannot attack the territory it is being attacked from on that round.
11. When a player retreats, they may NOT retreat into a territory that is under attack/being invaded that round.

THE BATTLES:

1. The defending player shall create the map for the battle. The defender may create the map however they please, with these exceptions:

Battle maps MUST BE:

Map: The corresponding map of the territory attacked (use the map key in the campaign topics).
Reveal/Explored/or Fog
Towns: normal
Upgrades: Yes(0)
Starting Techs: None
Starting Units: few/many/or minimal
Pop Limit: whatever the map maker chooses

TEAM COLORS SHOULD MATCH THE COLORS IN THE CAMPAIGN. Player colors shall be in the campaign topics.

Take screenshots of the battles for sharing and proof! :)
Last edited by DoomCarrot on Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:55 am, edited 9 times in total.
The day is coming when a single carrot, freshly observed, will set off a revolution.
makazuwr32

Re: RULES For Campaign of Honor/Campaign of Valor

Post by makazuwr32 »

Questions:
1. We can have more than one army but we can't have more armies than we have territories. Am i right?
2. We can recruit only one army in a round but anywhere in our owned territory?
3. If 2 or more players attack for example different territories owned by me and i have on all of them armies, than i must battle with both?

And i must say - this would be LoOoOoOoOOOOoOoOoOong game.
makazuwr32 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:54 amWhen you ask to change something argument why...
Put some numbers, compare to what other races have and so on...
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
DoomCarrot
Location: Commanding General's quarters, a tall keep above the mighty city of Carrot's Point

Post by DoomCarrot »

1. Yes
2. Correct
3. Yes, any attacked territories result in a battle at the end of the round. There may be 1 resulting battle in a round, or multiple, and you could be attacked in multiple territories in a single round

You were right on all three :)
The day is coming when a single carrot, freshly observed, will set off a revolution.
Sunrise Samurai

Post by Sunrise Samurai »

I assume armies can only move to adjacent territories?
The glorious sun rises again
DoomCarrot

Post by DoomCarrot »

Yes, that is correct, you may only move one space with maximum of one army on your turn
DoomCarrot

Post by DoomCarrot »

Added rule #8 in the basic rules section
Sunrise Samurai

Suggested: make seasons a thing, with population limit dependant on certain factors including season and a base fertility​ value for a territory. More fertile areas consistently support higher limits, and winter tends to lower limits.
godOfKings

Post by godOfKings »

If multiple players attack it will b hard to select the correct player colour for every player as it depends on the order at which each player joins game
There is no place for false kings here, only those who proves themselves to b the true kings of legend, or serves under me

For I watch over this world looking for those worthy to become kings, and on the way get rid of the fakes and rule over the fools
DoomCarrot

Post by DoomCarrot »

This is true godofkings, I suggest that mapmakers use the first half of everyone's name when they make the map, that way people can see who has joined/who has yet to join before they can.

This is so,ething that AoF players have to deal with too for proper race selection
Midonik

Post by Midonik »

Sunrise Samurai wrote:Suggested: make seasons a thing, with population limit dependant on certain factors including season and a base fertility​ value for a territory. More fertile areas consistently support higher limits, and winter tends to lower limits.
Aggre,it will be cool.
Support new AoS variant, Age of Galaxy: http://ageofstrategy.net/viewforum.php? ... 608408ebc8
All help will be welcome.
Sunrise Samurai

I'm thinking each territory is base 50, 100, or 200. Summer adds 1 step higher. Winter goes 1 step lower. Since you cannot go higher than 200 or lower than 50, territories on the extreme edges simply have those values for 3 seasons
DoomCarrot

Post by DoomCarrot »

It may be cool Sunrise, but I am not entirely sure what you are suggesting :lol:

Map makers may already choose the pop limit (and add a little story to why they have done so lol), but I am not sure how this would be much different/how seasons would really work?
Midonik

Post by Midonik »

Seson changes every two rounds?
Support new AoS variant, Age of Galaxy: http://ageofstrategy.net/viewforum.php? ... 608408ebc8
Midonik

Post by Midonik »

If army loses a battle,its destroyed? How about makeing it able to retreat if there is a territory without army?
makazuwr32

Post by makazuwr32 »

Midonik wrote:If army loses a battle,its destroyed? How about makeing it able to retreat if there is a territory without army?
but only if you choose not to fight 'till the end and decided to withdraw.
And you can retreat your army on your territory or on neutral if it's your last sector.
makazuwr32 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:54 amWhen you ask to change something argument why...
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
DoomCarrot

Post by DoomCarrot »

Midonik wrote:If army loses a battle,its destroyed? How about makeing it able to retreat if there is a territory without army?
This actually seems like a good rule Midonik. EDIT: But there are problems

If a defender can retreat, shouldn't an attacker be able to as well? However, this might result in an almost never ending game/games in which people just keep retreating until they get a map with a massive advantage or such.
Midonik

Post by Midonik »

makazuwr32 wrote:
but only if you choose not to fight 'till the end and decided to withdraw.
And you can retreat your army on your territory or on neutral if it's your last sector.
You can always withdraw on last turn before lose,it won't work
I think that on every,even enemy's, territory.
makazuwr32

Post by makazuwr32 »

then it'll be almost neverending game because you will pursue enemy forever as long as he has where to move.
I think that if you withdraw when you have more than half of your opponent's points then you can save the army. in other variants you lose it.
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
Midonik

Post by Midonik »

Might be,but it won't be never ending,you only need to surround your enemy or push it to Map corner,such strategy is resin why I proposed that.
makazuwr32

Post by makazuwr32 »

And i think than we need to add some rule when we can reterat.
Not when you lost 90% of your army.
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
Midonik

Post by Midonik »

And both attacker and defender can retreat,yes.
makazuwr32

Post by makazuwr32 »

Agree. But only if you have 50%+1 or so points of your opponent.
If there is several opponents then count the one with the least points.
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
Sunrise Samurai

DoomCarrot wrote:It may be cool Sunrise, but I am not entirely sure what you are suggesting :lol:

Map makers may already choose the pop limit (and add a little story to why they have done so lol), but I am not sure how this would be much different/how seasons would really work?
On designing the world map, give each territory a value based on how much available food you think it has, low/medium/high. Season starts as spring, lasting for 2 rounds per season, without changing the population limit. Then summer for 2 rounds, which makes population limit become the next step higher. Fall is the same as spring, and winter decreases the population limit​. Seasons are worldwide

Example
Territory 4 produces medium amounts of food. During spring and fall, this means a population limit of 100. During summer, the limit is 200, and during winter the limit is 50. Territory 5, however, is a desert that produces little food. Spring and fall are at population limit 50 in it. Summer turns that limit into 100. Winter is still at 50, since we can't lower it any more.

Retreating: if a player decides to withdraw by turn 10, their army retreats. Otherwise it is stuck.
DoomCarrot

Post by DoomCarrot »

It may work, and AI is the reason, retreating would have a cost:
lets say you own 4,5,6 and opponent owns 1,2,3
With current rules, here is what might happen:

You attack territory 3. You win, and your opponent is forced to use his next turn to build an army on 2 which you attack. Therefore, your initial victory allows you to press the attack so to speak until the defender is able to win somewhere, in which case, the aggressive advamtage reverses.

With the retreating, this is what would happen:

You attack territory 3. Your opponent thinks map favors you, and therefore retreats to 2. He attacks you, but you use your turn to recruit a second army, and now have the AI on your side. Your opponent retreats again, realizing he will probably not win. You attack him again, and he retreats to his last territory. Now he cannot raise more armies. He attacks you again, and retreats to his only territory again. You attack him in a fair 1v1 in which you have equal chances of winning. Even if he wins, he will be fighting an uphill battle to take back land.

It would work. However, I still do not think retreating should be allowed unless you start your turn with no more than 200 points less than your opponent.

Therefore, retreating would be a VERY bad idea unless you knew another player was going to help you take back some land against a more powerful player or something.
Last edited by DoomCarrot on Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Midonik

Post by Midonik »

Ok.
makazuwr32

Post by makazuwr32 »

I agree Doom, but i think that you still can retreat while you have more than 50% of your opponent's points.
(For example in our game for now i have 872 points and you have 1605. i can still retreat, but after your turn if i have less than 50% of your points, than i can't save my army)
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
makazuwr32

Post by makazuwr32 »

better idea:
For smaller maps (20x20 and 25x25) you need 75% of your opponent's points to retreat
and for larger maps (30x30 and larger) you need 60% of your opponent's point to retreat
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
General Brave

Post by General Brave »

This might be hard for me, mainly because I have no Wi-Fi currently. So don't skip me guys, wait until I get it back.
Wise, Might, Loyalty. Forever stands Warfell.
DoomCarrot

Post by DoomCarrot »

I do not see much reason why the amount of points needed to retreat matters all too significantly, so for simplicity's sake, I added rules #9, and #10 in the map rules, allowing retreats to only happen if you do not start your turn under a double point limit.

Rule #10 was added to prevent players from counter attacking each other to oblivion :lol:

If you are attacked, you must either defend, or go somewhere else.
General Brave

Post by General Brave »

And also it sounds like Risk the board game.
Wise, Might, Loyalty. Forever stands Warfell.

Return to “Other”