Process of creating a new unit.

Any other ideas that does not fit to the specific categories.
Shark guy 35

Process of creating a new unit.

Post by Shark guy 35 »

Here is the process for creating a new unit.

STEP 1: A unit idea is gathered, and basic information is provided. This could mean webpages, early stats, early art for the unit and anything else that will help in creation of the new unit.
STEP 2: The design leaders and/or other forumers agree that it is a good idea and seek further information if desired.
STEP 3: The unit creator explains what the unit should look like. Or, they can draw the unit sprite themselves.
STEP 4: The design leaders and/or other forumers agree to the sprite design. If the sprite is not suitable, more sprites are created until the IMG looks suitable.
STEP 5: Stats are drafted for the unit. The design leaders and/or other forumers agree to the stats. They will also try to make them balanced. (This is hard, sometimes it is rushed and the unit becomes overpowered!)
STEP 6: Once proper stats have been agreed to, a JSON is created. (I'm not sure what JSON stands for, if you must know ask another forumer.) This is the heart of the unit, it dictates how much damage it can do, how much health it has, as well as other things like its movement speed and abilities (e.g. grenades, heal ability or pack/unpack.)
STEP 7: The unit is ready for action and is implemented into the game! But the journey has not come to a close, there is still work to be done! If the unit is unbalanced (like the orcs in AOF :mrgreen: ) New stats are created, and the unit returns. Sometimes, the IMG for the unit is changed (Japanese units in AOWW used to be tan! :lol: ) But, In reality, the unit is never finished, as more units are added, your unit may become unbalanced or useless (every rocket launcher in AOWW).
STEP 8: Final step, you are done!
P.S. If I messed up, please tell me, I'm no expert quite yet.
"A good plan, violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan next week".
-General George S. Patton
Midonik

Re: Process of creating a new unit.

Post by Midonik »

Well duh :roll:
Also isn't this part of the forum for the JSON, the part you elaborated the least about ;) ?
Support new AoS variant, Age of Galaxy: http://ageofstrategy.net/viewforum.php? ... 608408ebc8
All help will be welcome.
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

moved out of how -to section.
please let me post topics there.
thanks!
Shark guy 35

Post by Shark guy 35 »

Midonik wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:09 pm Well duh :roll:
Also isn't this part of the forum for the JSON, the part you elaborated the least about ;) ?
This was just for new forumers who wanted to learn the process of creating a unit
Shark guy 35

Post by Shark guy 35 »

Stratego (dev) wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:14 pm moved out of how -to section.
please let me post topics there.
thanks!
Ok. Got it.

Return to “Others”