Adding economy and new units

Any other ideas that does not fit to the specific categories.
SpecGradus

Adding economy and new units

Post by SpecGradus »

Good day, I thought about it and would like to suggest you add to the game Age of Strategy the economy and taxes on the population, as well as the addition of ensigns of different countries so that the player can choose his own ensign and put on units, as well as new units, these are Kozaks, Ukrainian wars and cavalry, and also ukrainian musketeers and new historical missions of ukraine for earlier thanks waiting for the update πŸ‘
makazuwr32

Re: Adding economy and new units

Post by makazuwr32 »

Economy and taxes:
See previous post about resources. Will not be added since will require whole remake of the game that will need several years for proper balance.
Also does not fit idea of ao-games in general.

Ensign (military rank) β€” it is too modern for aos specifically. Aos timeline is chosen to be historically up to 16 century.

Ensign (as banner and banner bearer) β€” aos is outside of politics which is why there will not be any country flags. And also which banner should be given for example for units from Germany territory? Prussia? Bavaria? Barbarian? There are too many and too different cultures on the same territory for such a large period of time β€” from acnient Greece and even ancient Egypt (approximately from 3000 years BC) up to end of 15 century (and in some cases up to middle of the 16th century) there is 4500 years of history.
If we will choose one type of banner for the territory than some hawkish historicans will ask why we chose that banner related to the history and not other. And it will reduce quality of the game as result in the eyes of players.

Cossacks β€” there are ideas about them and they might be added once devs will get time to work on them.
Here is my idea for them.

And here is mounted idea for them.

Ukrainian wars β€” mostly from my knowledge those are referring to wars in 16th-18th centuries while we have timeline up to end of 15th century.

Musketeers β€” will not be a thing since they appeared only in 18th century thus they do not fit for aos timeline.
If you want for more modern timeline in ao games than check Age of world wars forum, Age of revolution and Age of Discovery.
makazuwr32 wrote: ↑Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:54 amWhen you ask to change something argument why...
Put some numbers, compare to what other races have and so on...
Β© by Makazuwr32β„’.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
Endru1241

Post by Endru1241 »

Looking for Ukraine in Ao games I'd try Age of Revolution, Age of World Wars or Age of Modern Wars.
Ukraine is a nation and national identities didn't emerge until around 18th century.
Before that countries were mostly based on feudalism and were tied by people being under the same lord and monarch, which was meaningful only for artistocracy. Most people didn't care which exact country they lived in as long as they could exercise their own culture - worship their religion, speak their language plus not being overly abused by law and taxes.
There were many cases when more than one country had the same or similar culture (only different monarch) and many more cases when distinct culture didn't have any country for their own.
Often aristocracy had different culture than common people living on the same land.
Unification of culture - country, which mostly started in 18th century was only possible by making many cultures dissapear either by assimilating them, forcing people to convert or massacring them.
That's why in AoS which time period ends in 16th century there would be no nations/countries.
Instead categorisation is based on culture.
So potential units from history which could be said as Ukrainian would be either Cossack (classified as bigger Steppe cultural group) or Ruthenian (classified as bigger Slavic cultural group).

Basic economy exist in form of town centers (general control of land) and mines (building infrastructure to increase output of the same land) and I think it's quite ok.
At least if we want to retain similar level of complexity.
What could be added:
- some buildings being slight variation of mines (acting similarly, but only having different names and visuals)
- some way to more precisely represent population by affecting limits (it's much less likely)
Age of Strategy design leader
makazuwr32

Post by makazuwr32 »

Side note:
I am planning to expand neutral functional objects you can place on maps in aof.

For now i have next list:

1. Volcanic canyon, can't be captured, immune to damage β€” damages everything around it every turn via aura and burns it.
2. Healing spring, can't be captured, immune to damageβ€” has passive healing aura.
3. Magic spring, can't be captured, immune to damage β€” has aura that gives for 2 turns bonus spell power to casters and bonus heal rate to healer units.
4. Inn, can be captured, can't be attacked (works as tc) β€” gives +1 speed to alive non-plant, non-undead units.
5. Gold mine, capturable, can't be attacked β€” will have 2 abilities to speed up things but those abilities will affect every factory in its range including enemies.
6. Tavern, can't be captured, immune to damage β€” here you can hire via payment some mercenaries.
There is a planned option for factories that will allow for them to produce randomly things from their production list when they are neutral. (Not sure if it is implemented or not yet).

Might be used for example for animal den that will produce once in a while animals or bandit's hideout that will produce bandits.
Or for tavern that will produce mercenaries (and you can use money courier to convert it).

7. Guide, can't be captured, can be damaged β€” will have an aura for forest walking and +1 speed within its range to all units.
8. Trading post, can be captured, can't be damaged β€” there you can exchange your money for other resources (for now gems, coal and sulfur of dwarves, later there will be more; will be made in form of summon with sacrifices as requirement).
9. Observatory, can be captured, can be attacked, can be repaired once killed β€” gives phenomenal sight as long as you hold it.
10. Orerry, can be captured, can be attacked, can be repaired once killed β€” has ability to open a large part of the map once in a while.
11. Veteran tower, can be captured, can't be attacked β€” gives a bonus armor (effect lasts 500 turns and can't be removed) to unit via ability.
12. Collosseum, can be captured, can be attacked, leaves ruins β€” gives bonus attack or bonus armor (randomly, effect is same as on veteran's tower, only for melee units).
13. Battle academy, can be captured, can't be attacked β€” gives bonus attack (effect lasts 500 turns, can't be removed) to unit. Different abilities (and effects) for melee, shooters and throwers (3 in total).
14. Magic academy, can be captured, can't be attacked β€” gives bonus spell power and spell range to target caster unit (same as buff for attack).
15. Pharmacy, can be captured, can be attacked, can be repaired once killed β€” gives bonus heal rate to target healer unit (same as buff for attack). Can train apotecaries who can heal and mend wounds.
16. The fog of darkness (some tower that gives this fog), can be captured, can't be attacked β€” vulnerable building that has aura which reduces sight range of enemy units in it.

So something similar for aos might fit pretty good.
makazuwr32 wrote: ↑Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:54 amWhen you ask to change something argument why...
Β© by Makazuwr32β„’.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
Endru1241

Post by Endru1241 »

makazuwr32 wrote: ↑Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:21 pm Side note:
I am planning to expand neutral functional objects you can place on maps in aof.

For now i have next list:

1. Volcanic canyon, can't be captured, immune to damage β€” damages everything around it every turn via aura and burns it.
2. Healing spring, can't be captured, immune to damageβ€” has passive healing aura.
3. Magic spring, can't be captured, immune to damage β€” has aura that gives for 2 turns bonus spell power to casters and bonus heal rate to healer units.
4. Inn, can be captured, can't be attacked (works as tc) β€” gives +1 speed to alive non-plant, non-undead units.
5. Gold mine, capturable, can't be attacked β€” will have 2 abilities to speed up things but those abilities will affect every factory in its range including enemies.
6. Tavern, can't be captured, immune to damage β€” here you can hire via payment some mercenaries.
There is a planned option for factories that will allow for them to produce randomly things from their production list when they are neutral. (Not sure if it is implemented or not yet).

Might be used for example for animal den that will produce once in a while animals or bandit's hideout that will produce bandits.
Or for tavern that will produce mercenaries (and you can use money courier to convert it).

7. Guide, can't be captured, can be damaged β€” will have an aura for forest walking and +1 speed within its range to all units.
8. Trading post, can be captured, can't be damaged β€” there you can exchange your money for other resources (for now gems, coal and sulfur of dwarves, later there will be more; will be made in form of summon with sacrifices as requirement).
9. Observatory, can be captured, can be attacked, can be repaired once killed β€” gives phenomenal sight as long as you hold it.
10. Orerry, can be captured, can be attacked, can be repaired once killed β€” has ability to open a large part of the map once in a while.
11. Veteran tower, can be captured, can't be attacked β€” gives a bonus armor (effect lasts 500 turns and can't be removed) to unit via ability.
12. Collosseum, can be captured, can be attacked, leaves ruins β€” gives bonus attack or bonus armor (randomly, effect is same as on veteran's tower, only for melee units).
13. Battle academy, can be captured, can't be attacked β€” gives bonus attack (effect lasts 500 turns, can't be removed) to unit. Different abilities (and effects) for melee, shooters and throwers (3 in total).
14. Magic academy, can be captured, can't be attacked β€” gives bonus spell power and spell range to target caster unit (same as buff for attack).
15. Pharmacy, can be captured, can be attacked, can be repaired once killed β€” gives bonus heal rate to target healer unit (same as buff for attack). Can train apotecaries who can heal and mend wounds.
16. The fog of darkness (some tower that gives this fog), can be captured, can't be attacked β€” vulnerable building that has aura which reduces sight range of enemy units in it.

So something similar for aos might fit pretty good.
Some could be copied to AoS, I think.
Also - I wonder if in volcanic canyon, fog of darkness, maybe some other wouldn't be better as terrain elements (or decorations) - terrain can also grant effect.
makazuwr32

Post by makazuwr32 »

As i know tiles can grant some effects only for units who are standing directly on that tile. Not to units who are on near tiles in range x.
Β© by Makazuwr32β„’.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
Endru1241

Post by Endru1241 »

makazuwr32 wrote: ↑Fri Nov 04, 2022 7:40 am As i know tiles can grant some effects only for units who are standing directly on that tile. Not to units who are on near tiles in range x.
Yup - exactly.
What I meant is that volcanic canyon and fog of darkness sound like something that would be terrain or decoration spanning multiple tiles.

Return to β€œOthers”