Godot Engine

Any other ideas that does not fit to the specific categories.
b2198

Godot Engine

Post by b2198 »

Disclaimer: I am NOT saying you should do this, it would be A LOT of rework and rewrite over ther current progress on Unity version. I'm just asking if you considered that option at some point, and if so, wanting to know what led you to choose Unity instead.

Disclaimer 2: even if there exists a possibility of considering this, I'd say to not do it now, because Godot is currently getting hugely reworked from version 3.x to 4.0, and 4.0 is still in alpha 3 at the time I'm writing this.

Have you ever considered using the Godot Engine for rewriting the game instead of Unity? I'd say it aligns more with the game's purpose, and has a simpler structure.

Some advantages of Godot over Unity imo:
-It's overall simpler to develop in iit.
-It's more organized
-Its documentation is mostly better
-It has better 2D performance (even more so in 4.0)
-it supports both GDScript (a python-like language developed for the engine) and C# (though not yet in 4.0, but that's coming soon), even at the same time, meaning you could have more performance-heavy code written in C# (or even C++ if you know what you're doing) and leave the more complicated, but not as performance-heavy logic to a simpler code in GDScript.
-it's free, so if the game gets to a point where you start making a considerable profit out of it you wouldn't have to pay for using the engine
-it's open-source, so the community there is heavily involved in getting new features into the engine and fixing existing bugs.

Some disadvantages of Godot over Unity imo:
-Unity has a lot more content online for learning it
-Unity has arguably better 3D performance (though that's debatable in Godot 4.0)
-Unity's asset store is currently better than Godot's asset library (though the latter is 100% free)
-Unity has better integration with C# (though that might change with the current works that are being done on C# for Godot 4.0)
Green is the correct color, other colors are "less correct".

Return to “Others”