Block specific unit noises when attacked in a TC ANSWERED

Any other ideas that does not fit to the specific categories.
phoenixffyrnig

Block specific unit noises when attacked in a TC ANSWERED

Post by phoenixffyrnig »

In a game involving a few of us formers, @Aral_Yaren coordinated a deadly invasion to take some of my TCs. Part of his plan was to use elephants (which he must have already barded to cover the necessary distance) to defend his newly gained TCs.

I know this because upon attacking the TC I heard the elephant noise.

Given the confines of this particular game, he played a fantastic move combining logistics with unexpected unit choice and buffing, but I feel his secret weapon was unfairly revealed.

I would not be able to see into his TC unless I had a spy nearby, so I should not be able to hear into it either. This gave me valuable Intel that undermined the effort that went into his play. Can we replace sounds of attacked units in a TC with a generic sound so as not to freely give away knowledge that should be obtained by stealth?
I also play an RTS game called Life 8-)
And I also like drinking beer! :D
makazuwr32

Re: Block specific unit noises when attacked in a TC

Post by makazuwr32 »

I think it is actually fine.
You do not have anyway knowledge what is hiding behind that unit from sound only.

Another problem that i see is that different games have different mechanics: in aof for example we do not have units who can scry into tc apart from human assassin and undead shade.
makazuwr32 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:54 amWhen you ask to change something argument why...
Put some numbers, compare to what other races have and so on...
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Re: Block specific unit noises when attacked in a TC

Post by Stratego (dev) »

it is intentional that sounds can give a clue what is defending there.
b2198

Re: Block specific unit noises when attacked in a TC ANSWERED

Post by b2198 »

Wait, really? I usually disable sounds when playing, didn't know I could have more info by leaving them on o.O
Green is the correct color, other colors are "less correct".
b2198

Post by b2198 »

I know a lot of people that usually play games with no sounds or music either, so wouldn't it be more fair to players in general if that audio clue matched some visual clue, if it's intentional to have a clue on what's defending at the moment of attack? (Though this also means that in matches where players are aware of this, spies have their usefulness reduced significantly)
Cantarzo

Post by Cantarzo »

You can see what units are inside when the units attack(meele) and projectile (ranged) already so not much trouble I think
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

b2198 wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 4:15 pm I know a lot of people that usually play games with no sounds or music either, so wouldn't it be more fair to players in general if that audio clue matched some visual clue, if it's intentional to have a clue on what's defending at the moment of attack? (Though this also means that in matches where players are aware of this, spies have their usefulness reduced significantly)
i think it is ok.
if you want to know then u turn on sound.

eg. i also have sound "off" but not in game but on phone. so i can turn it up if needed.
so i like it this way this is a little flavour.
remark: it will nto tell you the unit maybe only tha unit class eg. all infantry archer and such have same sound. only like
- normal unit (cavalry, archer, infantry etc)
- siege unit
- elephant

maybe these are the only ones recognizable.
b2198

Post by b2198 »

Cantarzo wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 5:06 pm You can see what units are inside when the units attack(meele) and projectile (ranged) already so not much trouble I think
That is only an option in single player games, since you don't see enemy turns in multiplayer games in AoS (unless all other players are bots, but then it goes back to being a single player game).
Stratego (dev) wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 5:47 pm
b2198 wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 4:15 pm I know a lot of people that usually play games with no sounds or music either, so wouldn't it be more fair to players in general if that audio clue matched some visual clue, if it's intentional to have a clue on what's defending at the moment of attack? (Though this also means that in matches where players are aware of this, spies have their usefulness reduced significantly)
i think it is ok.
if you want to know then u turn on sound.

eg. i also have sound "off" but not in game but on phone. so i can turn it up if needed.
so i like it this way this is a little flavour.
remark: it will nto tell you the unit maybe only tha unit class eg. all infantry archer and such have same sound. only like
- normal unit (cavalry, archer, infantry etc)
- siege unit
- elephant

maybe these are the only ones recognizable.
Well, sometimes you just can't turn sounds on (usually because you shouldn't be playing AoS at the time, but I digress :joy:), and knowing the type of unit that is the first on garrison is a big advantage, because it makes you know which types of attacks will be effective against the unit and which won't, for example: if you fire an arrow at a TC and hear an elephant sound, you will know that you need to attack with anti-mounted units first, if you hear a siege unit sound, you will know that you need to attack with anti-siege units first, etc.

Maybe there could be something like a small bubble that shows some generic image with one of these types when you attack?

Return to “Others”