Terrain Bonuses

Put here any issue you find, please avoid repetitions, so check if your issue is already there.
Ragnar

Terrain Bonuses

Post by Ragnar »

why is it that neither land nor water units can pass on ice?
makazuwr32

Re: ice problem

Post by makazuwr32 »

We just did not decided who and at what speed must be able to pass ice.
What speed modifiers they must have.
makazuwr32 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:54 amWhen you ask to change something argument why...
Put some numbers, compare to what other races have and so on...
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
Ragnar

Post by Ragnar »

makazuwr32 wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:39 pm We just did not decided who and at what speed must be able to pass ice.
What speed modifiers they must have.
aah, I see
Alexander82

Post by Alexander82 »

I think that we could reason on most of terrain types. In general ice might not affect much walking ability of land units (even though it is slippery, but we can't make units miss their target tile, as far as I know) but could just be slowly sailable from all ship units and at full speed from icebreaker ships. About exclusive swimmers I don't know if they should be able to slowly walk it. I think they could swim at full speed under the ice but might have some problems to rise on the surface.

In general I think we should lower mounts' speed in forest and snow tiles (maybe some lower penalties on sand) while on road tiles they could get a good boost.

If it was possible I would make forest tiles "hide" non-giant units inside from arrows (providing some dodge ranged maybe?)
Age of Fantasy design leader
Savra

Post by Savra »

I don't think cavalry should be able to cross ice because it's harder for hooved units to get traction.

Giants should just cross it in the same speed that they would in water, being that how heavy they are they are most likely to break through the ice and have to swim anyway. A nice cold bath. :lol:
Ragnar

Post by Ragnar »

Savra wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:31 pm I don't think cavalry should be able to cross ice because it's harder for hooved units to get traction.

Giants should just cross it in the same speed that they would in water, being that how heavy they are they are most likely to break through the ice and have to swim anyway. A nice cold bath. :lol:
if the ice is strong enough then both a man and a horse can pass on it, there are examples of some battles on ice (naturally, the speed decreases). In general, the idea of ​​Alexander is the most feasible and I hope that you will accept it))))))
makazuwr32

Post by makazuwr32 »

I must add a bit:
In aos endru made next additions as environment for tiles:
Grass, snow, sand - normal type land, no bonuses or speed changes for normal units;
Forest - 67% speed for cavalry, can't be passed by mechanical units, +1 p.armor to unit;
Mountains - +1 normal armor, only for mountain-walking units;
Roads - +1 speed to all units as general rule;
Frozen river - 50% speed for both land and water units;
Deep water - +1 (or +2, not sure) speed.

Just to begin with something.
makazuwr32 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:54 amWhen you ask to change something argument why...
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
Alexander82

Post by Alexander82 »

Savra wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:31 pm I don't think cavalry should be able to cross ice because it's harder for hooved units to get traction.

I suppose it is not that weak being a permanent tileset (otherwise it should become water after a giant unit pass over it)

In general it is either fragile so that land unit can't walk over it or it is not and those units can walk it (we can then decide if speed should be lowered for non specialized land units)
Alexander82

Post by Alexander82 »

makazuwr32 wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:57 pm I must add a bit:
In aos endru made next additions as environment for tiles:
Grass, snow, sand - normal type land, no bonuses or speed changes for normal units;
Forest - 67% speed for cavalry, can't be passed by mechanical units, +1 p.armor to unit;
Mountains - +1 normal armor, only for mountain-walking units;
Roads - +1 speed to all units as general rule;
Frozen river - 50% speed for both land and water units;
Deep water - +1 (or +2, not sure) speed.

Just to begin with something.
plains should provide no bonus/penalty but I was thinking that we could make at least a -1 speed on sand and snow tiles and dodge reduction for units with it cause of the difficulty to move accurately

I think that forest movement modifier is fine but in addition I would give no speed penalty for deers (so they have their own niche even if slower than unicorns) and I would replace that +1 to p.armor with a 10%/15% dodge ranged and maybe a miss chance for ranged units inside the forest (those obstacles apply both way)

I think that mountains could provide a similar effect for melee attacks (since it is more difficult to hit someone cause of the different height levels)

roads +1 speed should be fine for all land units (not flying)

about frozen rivers we are already discussing that

about water tiles I think that shallow waters might provide a lesser reduction for giants while deep water give them the usual speed reduction, at the same time we can have faster speed for ships in deep waters (as they need to be less careful than in shallow waters) but swimmers (merlocks and mermen at the moment) would probably have no speed difference (cause they can already swim well in shallow water)
Alexander82

Post by Alexander82 »

I think that should be solved at the moment.
makazuwr32

Post by makazuwr32 »

Changed topic to "Terrain bonuses" discussion.
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
Savra

Re: Terrain Bonuses

Post by Savra »

We could probably copy how AOS's style is.

Return to “Reporting Issues”