Some thought about Mine

Put here any ideas, suggestions about unit or structure properties.
tamtam12345

Some thought about Mine

Post by tamtam12345 »

1. Resources in mine (through digging) is limited. Will there have sth like "leaving" effect once the mine started to operate?

2. Will terrain change once the mine was constructed/ ran over a period of time (such as grass -> moat)?
Endru1241

Re: Some thought about Mine

Post by Endru1241 »

We don't really precise the timescale of a game - what is a turn - few hours, few days, few weeks?
Even if we took super long game - how much time would it take?
Mines where mostly used tens of years.
But they required work to be deepened.

I would mich more consider something different - is mine a representative of a single mine or more like a visualisation of whole economic aspect of minerals extraction? Or maybe even including processing it, maybe even some heavy industry?

I would concentrate more on a balance aspect - is mining a problem?
Age of Strategy design leader
digimon666

Post by digimon666 »

Mine is kind of free resource that should be adjusted carefully, given the cost of mine = making 3 cost guy that construct within 9 round with 3 round of waiting to generate the average of 2 money courier (or less) which mean -2 turn bonus per 3 turn, it took around 30 turn to pay off this invesment (my math could be off) is it balanced? Personally kind of on weak side given the number, but also my math could be wrong. Nevertheless it is one way to generate almost infinite value

What i dont like is using the cart (especiall salt cart) as scouting unit. This is philosopically funny.

Given that, my proposed change
- reduce its sight but increased the speed and/or reduce the stats to prevent using this cart as scouting unit
- cart dont take population (this maybe a big change)
Last edited by digimon666 on Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
tamtam12345

Post by tamtam12345 »

digimon666 wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:16 am Given that, my proposed change
- reduce its sight but increased the speed and/or reduce the stats to prevent using this cart as scouting unit
Agree. I think -1 sight is ok.
OR reducing convertion rate of carts to negative?
digimon666 wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:16 am - cart dont take population (this maybe a big change)
Kinda agree. Mine is quite useful in long & big map. I think carts need to be counted on population.
Hyuhjhih
Location: Earth, (the part of blue ball and is named India for some reasons)

Post by Hyuhjhih »

Well I'm one of them who use salt carts and probably silver also for scouting. And the worst about it is they can't be used to speed up production if the current training has one turn balance .

No!!!! Counting carts as pop and mines as factories will ruin the nature. Mines are an inevitable part of large maps. negative convertion also wont do good.
LIE = Love Is Eternal.

Design leader of the variants Age of Gods and Age Of Civilization, and live heartedly contributing to AoS.

AoC discord server is up AoC
digimon666

Post by digimon666 »

Hyuhjhih wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:43 am Well I'm one of them who use salt carts and probably silver also for scouting. And the worst about it is they can't be used to speed up production if the current training has one turn balance .

No!!!! Counting carts as pop and mines as factories will ruin the nature. Mines are an inevitable part of large maps. negative convertion also wont do good.

What? I suggest to make both of them dont cost any pop space not in reverse
Exactly what you said, since there is hard limitation where you cant decrease below 1 turn, making carts dont cost population seems a welcome change.

Oh one more, i hate when the cart automatically apply his ability as "attack instict" at the end of turn can we address this?
Endru1241

Post by Endru1241 »

There is no possibility in current engine to make units don't take population.
I made a code change request to control that, but it's not on the top of the list.

Who the hell uses 4 sight unit as a scout?
Maybe I made it too resilent for basically a free unit.
Maybe I'll just change hp to 8 or 9. Should be enough to prevent too easy destruction by archers, so it'll still be safer than money courier to bring to mercs on battlefront.
Sight decrease to ram level shouldn't be so bad too.
digimon666

Post by digimon666 »

Instead of stats, i prefer to reduce its sight.

I want to make separate thread for money courier to also did this, increase the speed but reduce the sight.
Endru1241

Post by Endru1241 »

Btw. I made some changes, trying to balance mines.
Well, at least to reduce non-standard usage (walls, last line of defence) and make them a little worse investment (possibility to take over).
How is multi usage of them right now ?
Badnorth

Post by Badnorth »

The new mines right now? I think they are great. As they can be occupied by all units, we won't have to waste a couple of turns to destroy a single Mine.
For newcomers, click here for discord links. Hopefully they aren't expired.

Return to “Unit balancing”