Boarding attempt from attacking

Put here any ideas, suggestions about unit or structure properties.
godOfKings

Boarding attempt from attacking

Post by godOfKings »

I think the chance of a successful boarding attempt from attacks of boarding ship and long boats is fairly high, at least much higher than boarding boarding spell which is affected by target ship spell resistance, i mean in many cases boarding ship successfully converted a full hp heavy quadrireme and turtle ship on first attempt

So i propose a new resistance to boarding attempt by atk, target unit percentage hp= current hp/max hp *100%

For example, if we make boarding attempt success calculation like set percentage chance - 0.n * hp percent where n can have any integer value

So for a powerful boarding ship n can have small value resistance is still low at max hp but less powerful boarding ship n can have higher value, i think n should b lowest on corsair with the highest chance of success from boarding attempt by attacking

At least this way even if my ship is captured it wont b at full hp and hard to destroy so i can still destroy it and not late opponent literally get a 6 turn high hp high dmg ship tanky for free

@Endru1241
There is no place for false kings here, only those who proves themselves to b the true kings of legend, or serves under me

For I watch over this world looking for those worthy to become kings, and on the way get rid of the fakes and rule over the fools
DreJaDe

Re: Boarding attempt from attacking

Post by DreJaDe »

But boarding are usually done with the intention of not damaging the boarded ship as much as possible though.
godOfKings

Post by godOfKings »

So a 76 hp trireme and 91 hp turtle ship should have full health after being captured from a basic atk that is not even the boarding attempt spell? Y even give turtle ships over 100% mental resistance in the first place if they still get 1 shot boarded?
Last edited by godOfKings on Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
There is no place for false kings here, only those who proves themselves to b the true kings of legend, or serves under me

For I watch over this world looking for those worthy to become kings, and on the way get rid of the fakes and rule over the fools
godOfKings

Post by godOfKings »

Anyways my initial proposal for value of n is this

Boarding ship n= 0.3 so chance of capturing full hp ship from attacking is 90%- 0.3 * 100% = 90% - 30% = 60%

Viking longboat n= 0.25 so chance on full hp ship 70-25= 45% (viking ship can easily carry high dmg unit to dmg target ship to less than 50% HPhp)

Corsair ship n= 0.2 so at full hp chance = 85 - 20 = 65%

godOfKings

Post by godOfKings »

The guy i was playing against, @friedrich he literally had to delete his turtle ship after being trapped by my boarding hook cause he knew it was gonna get captured sooner or later and it still had nearly full hp left

Endru1241

Post by Endru1241 »

First of all - I cannot change formulas as I like, because they are hardcoded.
There is a way to make hp count as resistance, but it's set to work like:
resistance = (Math.Max(Math.Min(Unit.currentHP, DEFINE_UNIT_BIG_HP_VALUE), DEFINE_UNIT_SMALL_HP_VALUE) - DEFINE_UNIT_SMALL_HP_VALUE) / DEFINE_UNIT_BIG_HP_VALUE
, where in AoS DEFINE_UNIT_BIG_HP_VALUE=60 and DEFINE_UNIT_SMALL_HP_VALUE=10
Secondly - in the example boarding ship tries to get one of the anti-ship ships, which are the primary targets.
Trireme line is literally the weakest against boarding.
Turtle ship has it's cultural resistance bonus, but is still not supposed to be fully resistant to first attempt (because of boarding hooks).
Only light ships and boarding ships themselves are designed to always resist first attempt.
Thirdly - it seems boarding attempt from attack must work differently, than we all think.
According to conversion formula if target has resistance >= 100% - it's automatic fail. No matter how high chance is.
And I just checked attacking some turtle ships with boarding ships, having some success to convert with the effect.
Without using boarding hooks that shouldn't happen.
Additionally I recall checking boarding attempt unusual low chance after some report and I know it's true - even against targets with 0% resistance, while having Boarding Effectiveness tech (so effect chance is 120%) final chance should be 100%, while it's much lower than 50%.
Having checked how it's almost the same against 100% resistance turtle ships - I am assuming it's just straight 30% ignoring resistance.

So we probably have to make some changes here, but in some other way, that would actually work just like described on unit details.
Age of Strategy design leader

Return to “Unit balancing”