Trebushet from castle

Put here any ideas, suggestions about unit or structure properties.
Jerzy1241

Trebushet from castle

Post by Jerzy1241 »

Great Castle Trebuchet only takes 1 from Berserker and others, in fact such a hit would kill any warrior, and here it takes -1. Perhaps an ordinary trebuchet also receives so much, I don't remember.
godOfKings

Re: Trebushet from castle

Post by godOfKings »

Yes trebs deal over 100 dmg to buildings and 600 dmg to castles so their dmg on infantry is very low, dealing only 1 dmg to high armor units like knights and berserkers, siege units good against infantry include ballista, catapults and cannons
There is no place for false kings here, only those who proves themselves to b the true kings of legend, or serves under me

For I watch over this world looking for those worthy to become kings, and on the way get rid of the fakes and rule over the fools
Jerzy1241

Post by Jerzy1241 »

I understand this mechanic, but it is total not reallistic. Also i think trebushets/cannons should be able to shot from castle, like archers etc
Endru1241

Post by Endru1241 »

Even skipping the balance side - castle artillery had to be on top of the walls to be effective and very often it had to special smaller versions to even fit there.
Even with bigger machines getting them on top was only possible during construction or at least along some changes in construction.

And honestly - balance cannot be easily skipped, which is main reason behind disallowing siege machines from shooting from inside.
Age of Strategy design leader
godOfKings

Post by godOfKings »

initially siege could indeed shoot from inside towers, but they could also enter wagons and directly shoot after leaving wagons, the consequence is that only siege and wagon entering cavs were meta, infantry had no role to play at all, after much protests and player pressure for balance, aos finally reached the nearly realistic and properly balanced state it is today, if u now make siege atk while garrisoned inside buildings, we will once again regress, and aos will devolve back to becoming close to its initial situation, ofc i must also give credit to the main contributor for the nearly perfect game aos is today, so thanks for ur efforts endru :)
There is no place for false kings here, only those who proves themselves to b the true kings of legend, or serves under me

For I watch over this world looking for those worthy to become kings, and on the way get rid of the fakes and rule over the fools
Jerzy1241

Post by Jerzy1241 »

Endru1241 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:28 pm Even skipping the balance side - castle artillery had to be on top of the walls to be effective and very often it had to special smaller versions to even fit there.
Even with bigger machines getting them on top was only possible during construction or at least along some changes in construction.

And honestly - balance cannot be easily skipped, which is main reason behind disallowing siege machines from shooting from inside.
The ballista, the so-called rampart crossbow, as the most common form of pre-fire artillery in the defense of fortresses, was used at the beginning of the 11th century, for example during the defense of Niemcza. Of course, it was built on an ad hoc basis and not during the construction of the hillfort. Similarly, other smaller forms of mangonel or trebuchet pre-fire artillery were built on an ad hoc basis, the only requirement was sufficient space on the walls or tower.
godOfKings

Post by godOfKings »

For that we have ballista and cannon towers which pretty much fulfill the role u ask for, and trebuchet on mega castle

Return to “Unit balancing”