Light Hoplite and Ekdromoi

Put here any ideas, suggestions about unit or structure properties.
DreJaDe

Light Hoplite and Ekdromoi

Post by DreJaDe »

So I was making a skin and some map editor units for Greek like things and I saw this two units that confuses me.

Light hoplite, it seems they are the hoplites that we're lightly armed which are basically said to be the same as Ekdromoi. And Ekdromoi on the other hand is described as light hoplite.

Would it be bad to change the light Hoplite's name to just hoplite? Can there be a spot for unit that would be just called as Hoplite? A stronger one perhaps?

Also, it seems that Ekdromoi as I said were lightly armed and worked like how guerilla unit in game works. Why does it have too much armor and power? It's even stronger than a legionary!
Endru1241

Re: Light Hoplite and Ekdromoi

Post by Endru1241 »

DreJaDe wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 5:10 pm So I was making a skin and some map editor units for Greek like things and I saw this two units that confuses me.

Light hoplite, it seems they are the hoplites that we're lightly armed which are basically said to be the same as Ekdromoi. And Ekdromoi on the other hand is described as light hoplite.

Would it be bad to change the light Hoplite's name to just hoplite? Can there be a spot for unit that would be just called as Hoplite? A stronger one perhaps?

Also, it seems that Ekdromoi as I said were lightly armed and worked like how guerilla unit in game works. Why does it have too much armor and power? It's even stronger than a legionary!
Sorry for the late answer.

Just hoplite (the best representation) is spartan hoplite.
I even refer to it like that commonly.
Elite, heavily armored, heavy infantry.

Ekdromoi were infantry fighting in the same formation as regular hoplites, but were dearmored on purpose to have better mobility and trained in slightly different way.
They still were regular infantry and there is no reason to think, that a whole unit of them would suddenly start to act like skirmishing/guerilla unit.

Light hoplite unit is representation of hoplites in Athens style.
Much less training, cheaper equipment (they were probably the first to start using linothorax).
Although even Athens for most of time still had some units of fully elite spartan style heavy hoplites.

It should have more sense, when I'll add some tech or buffer, that all three of them benefits them. Something referring to phalanx.
Age of Strategy design leader

Return to “Unit balancing”