Fisherman or Fishing boat new ability "FISHING"

Put here any ideas, suggestions about unit or structure properties.
DreJaDe

Fisherman or Fishing boat new ability "FISHING"

Post by DreJaDe »

I don't know I should just suggest a new unit or suggest adding the ability to the current existing unit.

But the basic idea is to have a fishing ability than can target water tiles (Possibly just deep but definitely not shallow waters). After using the ability to water, it would spawn a unit like net signaling that fishing has been started. Which would need 3-5 turns of time before summoning a fishing boat or basically smt that could represent a merchant-like unit that could be used on factories.

It would depend on the water tiles (deep or just normal) how much time it would need and move the fishing ship or the unit that used the ability will disengage the activity.

Possibly, the unit I can think of that could do this is a net thrower for land and fishing boat for the sea but fishing boats already have its use so a new unit might be needed.
b2198

Re: Fisherman or Fishing boat new ability "FISHING"

Post by b2198 »

Essentially training "water mines". Not sure if Endru will like this idea, based on his views on mines, but could be interesting if miners themselves also worked in a similar way, where to get more resources per turn you would need more miners, instead of just more time (to build more mines), so that to really get a lot from them you'd need a lot of them, which could compromise investment in armies and lead to your fall if overdone, but if done right could make you outscale your opponent in the long run. These, unlike current mines, (hopefully) wouldn't be mandatory to win, because you wouldn't need just a few miners/fishing boat to get a huge production boost after some dozens of turns, you'd need one miner/fishing boat for each mine/fishing spot, making the investment required grow much higher if you want a larger production boost, thus possibly turning it into a strategic choice, instead of a mandatory step in most matches.
Green is the correct color, other colors are "less correct".
DreJaDe

Post by DreJaDe »

Its an investment you could take but I think is not that OP depending on the cost of the unit itself.

Some thing like 3-4 cost I think is not OP all to more when workers can still outpace this thing on building ships.

On smaller maps, even on 30x30, I think this is easy to intercept with fast scout ships and even galley.

Maybe 2 hits needed for galley should be ok.
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

it can work like this too:
- fish boat can remove a decoration tile (many little fish jumping in and out)
- by removing that tile you summon the merchant ship to transfer it or just an ability of the fisher ship activates that is a +1 production in a factory or something.
godOfKings

Post by godOfKings »

In the long run, we can basically make a turn based age of empires, where resources like fish and mine (even berry plants) can b removed to get a turn increasing ability
There is no place for false kings here, only those who proves themselves to b the true kings of legend, or serves under me

For I watch over this world looking for those worthy to become kings, and on the way get rid of the fakes and rule over the fools
DreJaDe

Post by DreJaDe »

godOfKings wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:54 am In the long run, we can basically make a turn based age of empires, where resources like fish and mine (even berry plants) can b removed to get a turn increasing ability
Compared to the bs worker spam making the game look like a ww1 frontline, I rather have this.

Though, it might be bad idea and I'm just not seeing it so I can fully say.
b2198

Post by b2198 »

godOfKings wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:54 am In the long run, we can basically make a turn based age of empires, where resources like fish and mine (even berry plants) can b removed to get a turn increasing ability
Well, we already have a game that is imho better than AoE for the most part, but yeah, that could be a good mechanic to add, but would have to be either added map by map or added to the generation logic, and both options are considerably hard to do, though not impossible...
Green is the correct color, other colors are "less correct".
godOfKings

Post by godOfKings »

We could have workers build farm, grow trees, create mines, then collect resources from them, doesnt necessarily have to b only random
There is no place for false kings here, only those who proves themselves to b the true kings of legend, or serves under me

For I watch over this world looking for those worthy to become kings, and on the way get rid of the fakes and rule over the fools
Endru1241

Post by Endru1241 »

DreJaDe wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 12:49 am I don't know I should just suggest a new unit or suggest adding the ability to the current existing unit.

But the basic idea is to have a fishing ability than can target water tiles (Possibly just deep but definitely not shallow waters). After using the ability to water, it would spawn a unit like net signaling that fishing has been started. Which would need 3-5 turns of time before summoning a fishing boat or basically smt that could represent a merchant-like unit that could be used on factories.

It would depend on the water tiles (deep or just normal) how much time it would need and move the fishing ship or the unit that used the ability will disengage the activity.

Possibly, the unit I can think of that could do this is a net thrower for land and fishing boat for the sea but fishing boats already have its use so a new unit might be needed.
Good idea to expand economy on water.
Although I'd like two changes to introduce it:
- sacrifice unit to make it work (and do the same for mines with miner)
- make all possible productions of it not needed to be defeated for win (and do the same for mine carts)
Latter one is easy.
Former one would need something like "not working" version to be build and ability to transform with sacrifice or maybe just curse-like effect placed on start removable with miner/some 3 turn ship sacrifice.
Stratego (dev) wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:11 am it can work like this too:
- fish boat can remove a decoration tile (many little fish jumping in and out)
- by removing that tile you summon the merchant ship to transfer it or just an ability of the fisher ship activates that is a +1 production in a factory or something.
I am not sure if having map placed resources would be good.
It would add huge potential imbalance in maps.
That's also a reason why I allowed mines to be build on plains too (to not limit players with less mountainous terrain accessible).
godOfKings wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:40 pm We could have workers build farm, grow trees, create mines, then collect resources from them, doesnt necessarily have to b only random
With ability to generate the resources given enough time it would be more balanced, but then we'd not really lessen the state of worker spam. Probably worsen it.
It would be great with limited number of workers though (there was idea to have worker limits).
Age of Strategy design leader
godOfKings

Post by godOfKings »

So ur idea is basically build the mine/ fishing area/ farm then sacrifice the unit that built it (miner/fishing boat/ worker) in order to transform the building into a one with a dedicated worker that is constantly collecting resources that will b available after a set turn? I think that is a great idea and also prevents spamming resource buildings like mines without any apparent cost

Return to “Unit balancing”