Castle roster

Put here any ideas, suggestions about unit or structure properties.
phoenixffyrnig

Castle roster

Post by phoenixffyrnig »

Endru1241 wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:16 pm I think trebuchet is irresistible.
I'm inclined to agree with you, but it will be interesting to see what happens in your new world order. In reality, most players use their castles (almost) purely as treb factories - I certainly do. What with all the changes though, I wonder if this will still be viable...? Could a good
mêlée general outfight a treb-happy general with better use of better foot soldiers...? I will be keen to find out.

I don't wish to stray too far off topic by investigating the ins and outs of it because I don't think it's that straightforward - I'm not convinced it is the treb itself that is the problem. On small maps, ie few castles, a couple of trebs aren't really a problem - if anything they become a good focal point for the to and fro of battle. On larger maps however, 15 trebs running wild become a lot harder to police (ie they take over the game). In their defence, trebs are one of the few things that can keep an early gunpowder rush in check if, like me, you get bored of gunpowder rush because of all it misses out on.

Sorry, I have gone off topic... but you started it! :lol: Joking aside, I do have one sensible suggestion worth thinking about. I have just compared the rosters for monastery and castle. With monastery, there are so many other recruitment or tech choices that could be justifiably considered worthwhile compared to a treb - in the castle, perhaps not so much. A handful of mercs, a sprinkling of gunpowder, and some niche units that are frankly not worth it cf a treb. (Granted, elite foot knight is a beast, but a somewhat limited beast readily available everywhere).

(I appreciate these two buildings serve different purposes, but) maybe if some other powerful options were added into the castle roster, trebs would become less of an automatic choice and more of a calculated risk...?
I also play an RTS game called Life 8-)
And I also like drinking beer! :D
phoenixffyrnig

Re: Tanegashima Enhance

Post by phoenixffyrnig »

For example, what if a castle could train all the leader units currently only available in their respective faction buildings? Potentially the more used support units too like banner bearer and drummer.
L4cus

Post by L4cus »

if uwe have foot knoghts in the castle roster why not mounted knights? i dont really understand this
this should be a new topic
Extra ecclesiam nulla salus...
AOD, a new variant...
viewforum.php?f=230
phoenixffyrnig

Post by phoenixffyrnig »

It should be. But it all started from that little snippet I quoted off Endru. He might be against the idea, in which case no point for a new topic. Or if he wants, I will copy and paste it to somewhere else
L4cus

castle rooster

Post by L4cus »

current roster is:

-foot knight (and upgrades) 1
-mameluk 2
-camel archer 2
-inmortal 2
-teutonic knight 3
-petard 1
-lasiq assasin 2
-treb and upgrade 1
-some mercenaries: foot knight 1, genoesse crossbowman 1, disband knght 1
-some gun units: hawacha 2+3, cannon (and upgrade) 1 , tanegashima 3
-loyalty 1 and high castle 1

reasons why those units are there:
1. they are there because they fit
2. dont have a race building (like roman garrison for roman)
3. idk but they should be no there (in my opinion)

units and tech should be added to castle roster:
-knight and upgrades (the mounted)
-shield knight and upgrades
-lancer and upgrades
-enforcer
-condottiero and mercenary longbowman
-drummer
-standard bearer
-handgonner (if we have tanegashima)
Last edited by L4cus on Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AOD, a new variant...
viewforum.php?f=230
Endru1241

Re: Castle roster

Post by Endru1241 »

Split and merged.
Age of Strategy design leader
phoenixffyrnig

Post by phoenixffyrnig »

Yup, you were right... shoulda been a new topic.

Not sure about adding all knights and upgrades, kinda removes need for stables. I guess foot knight is there because once upon a time it was the top foot unit (scales up to hoplite) - obviously now with so much diversity it's not so easy to say which is top.

Condottiero I agree with, but not merc longbow man purely because he can be bought in the field. That makes him rather common even if he has good stats. I think in the main we should add things that are rarer, therefore more valuable, therefore more of a viable choice Vs trebs.
L4cus

Post by L4cus »

i think we need to purify the castle from foreign untis: number 3
we need somhting like "eastern barracks" + "desert stables" to take those units there
we can take off the cavalry upgrades...but keeping the mounted knights (the regular variant)

i still think we need some kind o leader for regular units (standard bearer doesnt count) something like duke or marchese, idk...it could be produced at castle to make everything more interesting...
AOD, a new variant...
viewforum.php?f=230
phoenixffyrnig

Post by phoenixffyrnig »

Yeah, definitely agree there, mamluks and camel archer should be available somewhere else or they are unused. I might have seen 3 in all my MP games.

What would this leader do? Morale boost plus combat abilities, or have you other things in mind?
L4cus

Post by L4cus »

there was a topic and just posted my idea there...http://ageofstrategy.net/viewtopic.php? ... 51#p130574
high morale aura + a new aura for buff close knights
AOD, a new variant...
viewforum.php?f=230

Return to “Unit balancing”