Units lacking bonus Vs Siege Machine Armoured - ANSWERED

Put here any ideas, suggestions about unit or structure properties.
phoenixffyrnig

Units lacking bonus Vs Siege Machine Armoured - ANSWERED

Post by phoenixffyrnig »

I've noticed a few units that have bonus Vs Siege Machines do not have an extra bonus against Siege Machine Armoured. Perhaps this is deliberate for balancing or not, but there is an argument to give the following units the extra bonus for reasons of consistency/ utility

Roman Legionary
Petardier
Foot Knight line
Hoplite
Huskarl
Lasiq Assasin
Last edited by phoenixffyrnig on Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I also play an RTS game called Life 8-)
And I also like drinking beer! :D
Endru1241

Re: Units lacking bonus Vs Siege Machine Armoured

Post by Endru1241 »

Roman Legionary, Foot Knight, Hoplite, Huskarl and few more of heavy melee category.
Why would they need to be boosted further?
Currently medium infantry is practically not used, unless giving them some more safety (e.g. axe throwers in siege towers).
Eventually as quick counter (e.g. mercs) vs siege towers that got too close.

Heavy infantry regular bonuses consist of something like mix of knight and infantry bonuses - +50% vs. archers, light and medium melee along with +50% vs ships and +100% vs structures and siege machines.
As such - they have to be somehow lower/lacking comparing to originals.
Besides - if similarly high bonuses against armored siege (and fortifications + mega) would be added there would be literally no use of medium infantry.

For keeping consistency we'd have to decrease current bonus to add higher vs armored siege (and fortifications for full consistency).

But from flavour point of view - they just lack proper siege equipment (and/or possibility to use it), that anti-building medium infantry is using.

As for Lasiq assasin - this unit is absolutely not supposed to be good vs armored siege.
Just like light cavalry - this is supposed to be a bonus to represent possibility to destroy some pricy machines on the back lines.
Not having any real capabilities to deal with gigantic hunks of armored wood.

Petard as well as explosion (both petardier and demolitions ship) have anti-ship and anti-siege bonuses to signify, that actual fiery explosions deal with wooden constructs better than with real flesh and blood units. Additional damage vs fortifications and megas is because those are very weak against tensile forces.
Age of Strategy design leader
phoenixffyrnig

Post by phoenixffyrnig »

Yep, fair enough to all the above. It was Petardier that first had me looking at it, and I obviously strayed into Deliberately Balanced territory with the heavy infantry. My initial feeling was that Petardier should have the extra boost as an expert in making things go boom. Perhaps I am looking at him too much like a de facto saboteur.
Endru1241 wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:19 pm Currently medium infantry is practically not used,
Yes, I am looking forward to this readjustment to missile units
I also play an RTS game called Life 8-)
And I also like drinking beer! :D
Endru1241

Post by Endru1241 »

Well - maybe petard (and explosion) would need this additional damage, as I have also changed assasin to only target flesh and blood units with one ability and eliminate all flesh and blood inside carrier with another.
Age of Strategy design leader

Return to “Unit balancing”