Controversy Alert!! Remove Axe-Thrower from TC roster

Put here any ideas, suggestions about unit or structure properties.
phoenixffyrnig

Controversy Alert!! Remove Axe-Thrower from TC roster

Post by phoenixffyrnig »

:o Yes, I did just say that! Light your torches, sharpen your pitchforks, and form an angry mob. Yes, I know he's almost everybody's favourite unit, but hear me out before burying me alive...

I have recently been playing around with the Celtic roster, a wonderfully powerful bunch of warriors - almost too powerful except for one thing, most of their key units are not available in TC.
Saethwr, their only missile unit - Roundhouse and Archery Range only.
Woad Spearman, their only anti-cav unit - Roundhouse and Barracks only
Celtic Chariot, their ace in the hole - Roundhouse and Stables only.
So to field a full Celt army, you need more of your factory slots taken up by Roundhouse, Archery Range, Barracks and Stables, therefore fewer Advancement Centres, Siege Workshops, Docks etc. End result is that the power of the Celts is offset by necessarily being less technically advanced, a very interesting trade off.

Axe Throwers are an exceptionally powerful unit too, a combination of their cheap cost, versatility, high bonus from range Vs Siege and Structures, and their buffability due to being ranged mêlée. Axe Thrower spam is a crazy powerful defensive tactic (trust me, I know. I used to do it until I got bored of how easy it was).

How about off-setting their power by having them trainable in Barracks and Norse Hall only? That way it requires more investment to benefit from their immense power.

Let the backlash begin!
I also play an RTS game called Life 8-)
And I also like drinking beer! :D
Endru1241

Re: Controversy Alert!! Remove Axe-Thrower from TC roster

Post by Endru1241 »

A little remark, that could change things a little:
Elite axe thrower is the first unit, that would be affected by range decrease. So it would have 4 range after balanced axes.
Age of Strategy design leader

Return to “Unit balancing”